Thailand Forum
Thaivisa News

British tourist kills police in crash

catman20    2,186

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hope tha they lock this guy up and just throw the keys away.

hold on they said that the policeman made a sudden U-turn, ive been driving here 15 years and have to say nothing every surprises me here the way Thai people drive, give the man a break until we all know more details.

recom273    751

Sorry to hear this .. it could have been any of us behind that wheel, we all know drivers / riders, just pull out with total disregard at U-turns.

Hope the guy has a good lawyer.

• Like 1

sensei    154

"Pol Lt Nonthawat Thongkham, an officer on duty of Hua Hin police station, said the accident happened on the outbound Phetkasem Road at the U-turn spot in front of the Hua Hin Hospital at 2:40 am.

After alerted of the accident, Nonthawat and rescuers of the Sawang Hua Hin Thammasathan Foundation rushed to the scene."

If I am getting this right, it all happened IN FRONT of a hospital and the Sawang Rescuers still got there ahead of everyone else...

Edited by sensei
  • Like 1

malcoml    308

As far as I can see from the report the British driver was not at fault.

No evidence he was speeding or drunk.

Thai making a u-turn on an unregistered, uninsured, untaxed m/c.

Thai happens to be an off duty policeman ...... so what.

Was the Thai drunk? No evidence presented, but he was breaking the law.

There was clear evidence he was speeding by the fact the motorbike was 200 meters down the road. Given the distance one could comfortably say he was well over the speed limit.

Bike obviously pulled out in front of the car but likely misjudged how long it would take to get to him given the cars speeding.

Speed kills.. RIP

• Like 1

piersbeckett    648

Know where the accident happened, it is within city limits,good road, max speed allowed 90km/h.

Look at the pic in the OP, no way Mr Benjamin was going 90, more likely 200............

And that would probably explain, why the officer crossed the road. He never expected the car to be approaching that fast.

We don't know, but not another Thai bashing thread please!!

We don't know, as you say but your assessment sounds likely, probable even especially when the small size of the car as well as its dark colour is added to the equation. Edited by piersbeckett
  • Like 1

kingstonkid    865

Forget emotion this guy better get a good lawyer and the Brit Embassy better get involved pronto. This guy is in trouble no matter what

• Like 1

jacko45k    4,578

Know where the accident happened, it is within city limits,good road, max speed allowed 90km/h.

Look at the pic in the OP, no way Mr Benjamin was going 90, more likely 200............

And that would probably explain, why the officer crossed the road. He never expected the car to be approaching that fast.

We don't know, but not another Thai bashing thread please!!

I would be surprised if he was doing 90kph or less, driving a fast vehicle like that and away from the gridlock of Bangkok ..( we see how the Bangkok plated vehicles behave in Pattaya and often it isn't good).

Hard for a driver to judge distance at night, and these low profile vehicles give an impression of being further away.

There is also the local habit of pulling into traffic without due regard, from any side........

U-Turns on highways are danger-spots, I live near Rt #36, accidents at U-Turns and people driving too fast is common.

AlphMichaels    566

Note to current leader and something that is long overdue (too late here)..., establish a highway patrol. Enforce the laws of the roads and do it with prejudice. It will take years for it to be effective but you have to start.

• Like 1

landslide    442

I've driven that road numerous times, and it is very poorly lit. For me, it is usually the virtually unlit trucks traveling 30kph in the right lane that scare the crap out of me.

Coaster11    105

Hmm, sounds like one of those, I'm making a U-turn now, and don't give a damn about on coming traffic situations ....

If I had a baht for each time I had to break like crazy because one of these idiots cut me off, I'd be a very rich man ...

luudee

Plenty of those types around.

The amount of paint on the road marking previous crashes is testament that you are putting your life in the hands of people who don't give a damn about yours,or theirs. You just gotta slow down at those u turn places...even more so at night as Thais just can't judge oncoming speed and expect others to yield if they put themselves in your path.

This one seems clearly a case of the car travelling way too fast.

kiwikeith    1,032

Crazy Brit. You don't visit a foreign country, rent a car, and drive with reckless abandon. You don't know the roads and you are a guest.

I hope they lock up Mr. Benjamin in a Thai prison cell for a few years and not just let him go back to the island after paying off the officer's family.

My condolences to Police Lance Corporal Wiroon's family and friends. Terrible that this happens at the end of the Songkran holiday.

Who said the car was rented?

What makes him a tourist? Maybe just his visa?

The police officer's motorbike had no license plate at all

Yet, you condemn the guy to a prison sentence. What if it's found out that the car driver had not a trace of alcohol or other substance and that it was an accident at 2:40am.

Then again, i'm sure you'll find some other answers.

And! the motorbike turned in front of the car.

What was the speed, who knows?

My partners father was killed by a drunken cop in Hua Hin he paid to the family, he was posted south and never prosecuted.

Was the motorbike rider drunk?

bridge2bridge    575

He must have been SPEEDING considering the motor cycle was thrown 200 Meters.

Should be punished for causing a death due to this.

Crazy Brit. You don't visit a foreign country, rent a car, and drive with reckless abandon. You don't know the roads and you are a guest.

I hope they lock up Mr. Benjamin in a Thai prison cell for a few years and not just let him go back to the island after paying off the officer's family.

My condolences to Police Lance Corporal Wiroon's family and friends. Terrible that this happens at the end of the Songkran holiday.

Who said the car was rented?

What makes him a tourist? Maybe just his visa?

The police officer's motorbike had no license plate at all

Yet, you condemn the guy to a prison sentence. What if it's found out that the car driver had not a trace of alcohol or other substance and that it was an accident at 2:40am.

Then again, i'm sure you'll find some other answers.