farmerjo

Maize and Rotational Crops

742 posts in this topic

Been a bit quite  around here  of late ,been  talking   to a farmer to day ,who  was  sorting out  some sacks  for harvesting  his maize ,he will  be harvesting  his  crop by picking the cobs ,I said "any idea  what  price you will be geting  for your crop",he said  "A  Toll-Gair",which according  to my  Thai dictionary  means A rich Chinese  merchant  ,will be paying 4.50 kg for his crop ,which is a bold move ,as most buyers do not announce  they price until harvesting starts ,and  farmers  have not a lot of  choice  of  where to  send there  crop, and other buyers  now have a bench mark  to work on .

But  for the past 2-3 years,  farmers harvesting  they crop  by picking the cobs  has dropped  by about  50%   most now get a combine in to do the job . And pricing could  be a different structure.

But harvesting will be at least 6 weeks away, and if this weather keeps up a wet one, with some high moisture crops around.

1 person likes this

Hi KS,

I got my harvester out yesterday and gave it a run to clear all the creatures out of it.

Cause i used it previously to harvest sunn hemp i have a few mods to do for corn.

Change the rotor spikes(corn are shorter and thicker),adjust the broad elevator drum up 2 notches to allow for more bulk material and change screen to the corn one.

My crop is horrible but will try to salvage something of it.Out of the 10 rai left,4 might be ok and the rest just couldn't handle the amount of rain we've had for that heavy clay soil.

In the same boat,when will the weather clear to get a crack at it.

On a brighter note the 5 rai of corn i harrowed back into the ground and planted to jasmine rice is going well. 

Unlike most of the reports that I have seen, the rain here has been exactly what was needed.  A long slow nightly rain with almost no standing water in the morning.  All of the corn has tasseled and cobs are forming,(had some stir fried baby corn yesterday) and unless there's  some horrible weather between now and harvest time, about 6-8 weeks, it will be a "bumper" crop.  Of course that will most likely be offset by low prices.  The beasts are being readied as I type.

1 person likes this

Hi wayned

As the crow flys  we are not so far away  and like you the  rain has been perfect ( except  for  us  trying to make some grass  silage , getting a 24-36 hour wilt on the grass before chopping  has been not easy ), like you it should be a bumper crop ,did see a crop this morning  that was turning ,could harvest that one in  30 days.

Later sown crops could have a problem, we have a habit of having a bit of a drought about  August time , in this area, some crops could suffer, but the way things are going this year who knows.  

Some thing I forgot  last night ,last years low prices were  partly due to low price  imports of  corn from  Cambodia ,nearly all  still on the cob ,if they  have had a  good growing season , like us ,this year , and  more  gets imported into Thailand ,that will not do the  local corn price  a lot of good, that 4.50 baht/kg  price , could be a good price .

Not seen  crops  this  year  so tall for a lot of years ,if some of our local  dairy farmers  got their act together, and bought  a standing crop of maize , from a  corn farmer, and made it in to  maize silage , what  some farmers spend on rice straw  in a year, the main  sauce  of forage for Thai  dairy  cows ,and a poor quality  feed as well , some maize silage  would do  them a lot of good ,  would push production  up ,and cost wise  not  a lot in it , but this is Thailand , and things happen  slowly /very slowly , and I would say  the grower  might be pleased  to sell his crop as a standing  crop , might well get a better price than harvesting  his crop. 

On 18/07/2017 at 9:34 AM, wayned said:

.  Of course that will most likely be offset by low prices.  

Your prophecy  seems  to have come true, driving  down a Soi  last evening, come across 2 combines  harvesting a  crop  of maize ,looked like  a 25 rie  block  asked  what  price they were  getting   4.80 baht/kg  @ 33% moisture , most early  harvesters  get a  good price ,then the price drops back  as the  main crops come in .

If that price holds  it means  farmers selling corn still on the cob  will be only payed about  3 baht /kg ,we got the last time we grew maize 7 years ago now ,and I  thought  from my last post 4.80baht/kg  was for corn still on the cob , not harvested grain.

No  one  is going to get fat  this year ,again  . 

1 person likes this

Totally agree KS.

With the current price you would need around 650 kg/rai to break even.

Will be interesting to see what sort of yields are out there this year,maybe once Wayned gets the beasts wound up he could give us an idea.

Nothing around here will be ready for harvest until at least late August, early September (other than the occasional few ears of bay corn that I steal for stir fry, just about gone).  No price info available right now.

1 person likes this