Jump to content
farmerjo

Maize and Rotational Crops

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, kickstart said:

wayned,   A question for you , your co-op , they brought the Beasts, with your help from the USA  ,just spent 700 000  on a tracked  combine ,and a truck to haul it ,plus a payloader, increased  the drying area , now talking about buying a cane harvester , and probably increasing the truck fleet .

How do they pay for it all , with the price of maize, not good , they maine income ?, you once said they were maxed out at the bank.  the bank being Tor-Kor-Sor, or BAAC ? , now thay must be maxed plus, plus .

To be honest with you I don't have a clue!  I contributed to most of the purchase of the first JD 6620 combine and a part of the purchase of the second JD 6620 and really haven't recovered anything back from the Coop but thought that it world be an investment for my wife but then she up and kicked the bucket before me and my son has absolutely no interest in any of it.  The wife of the Puyai keeps the books and the money so when money is needed Puyai has to go begging.  I didn't even know that the drying area was being intended or the purchase of the tracked combine and lowboy until it was a done deal.  I did do a little research on finding a used Komatsu front end loader but Puyai found one in Thailand. As far as the bank, it's BAAC, and I think that recently they have up the maximum amount of farm loans and I'm sure that everybody went and borrowed to the max.As far as the bank, it's BAAC, and I think that recently they have up the maximum amount of farm loans and I'm sure that everybody went and increased their present loans to the max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Does anyone know what the legal limit(payload) is for a 10 wheel truck here in Thailand.

I used to think it was same as Aus but apparently it comes down to individual country laws.(roads and bridges)

25 tons??

With 3 axles and 10 wheels, 25 ton .

This road was only finished last year , so must be new regs ,the road is very local , does not get a lot of traffic ,but they still had to put up these signs up,and 6 km up this road  are  2 bridges ,we have a couple of local roads ,that are so good ,and have some weight limits on .

003.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that KS.

Was trying to do a few sums with a sugar harvester.

Generally to cut and transport harvest manual or machines will cost around 25% of the gross per ton.

Say 1000 baht/ton will get you 250 baht x average yield say 12 ton.

Equals 3000 baht/rai.Say 6 trucks that carry 20 ton and a harvester could do 10 rai a day,30,000 in minus wages,fuel,maintenance.Lets call that 15,000 all in.

To make 15,000 a day running a harvester,6 trucks,7 operators and 1 mechanic maybe worth while if you have an existing business for the trucks the other 8 months a year so your only outlay is the harvester which a cheap local copy would be suffice for 10 rai a day.

What point i'm not sure of is what insurance would be required for fire damage.      

Edited by farmerjo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Thanks for that KS.

Was trying to do a few sums with a sugar harvester.

Generally to cut and transport harvest manual or machines will cost around 25% of the gross per ton.

Say 1000 baht/ton will get you 250 baht x average yield say 12 ton.

Equals 3000 baht/rai.Say 6 trucks that carry 20 ton and a harvester could do 10 rai a day,30,000 in minus wages,fuel,maintenance.Lets call that 15,000 all in.

To make 15,000 a day running a harvester,6 trucks,7 operators and 1 mechanic maybe worth while if you have an existing business for the trucks the other 8 months a year so your only outlay is the harvester which a cheap local copy would be suffice for 10 rai a day.

What point i'm not sure of is what insurance would be required for fire damage.      

I can see where you are going,But  this year with cane prices at 700 baht/ton ,and to  cut and haule  to the mill , around here is   350 baht/ ton , that is  50 % of your costs .at your 12  ton rie/yield .4200 baht/rie to  havest 1 rie .makes a hole in the profit margin 

A lot of growers say you get less weight on a truck with  machine cut cane than with manual cut ,but  with  manual cut cane  the trucks are very often overloaded ,(is 20 ton of cane on a trailer hauled by  a Ford 6600 legal),the machine cut cane on a truck will more likely to be legal weight.

There is a problem in harvesters waiting  for trucks, a big queue at the mill, could slow the job down , but a lot of cane is hauled at night time ,less police stopping  trucks  for overweight  loads ,so in theory, morning comes you should have most of your trucks empty, after  tipping they loads at night time .

Have herd machine cut cane given priority over, hand cut cane at the mill when tipping.

Are any harvesters made in Thailand?,you put a link in last year,a company in Kanchanaburi, that imports second-hand harvesters, and re-recons them ,still would be sold on 2-3 millon baht.

I have not been there for a long while but the guy, where you brought your drill he was re-coning one cane  harvester .

As has been said with cutters getting more difficult to find , harvesters will be used more each year .

I think with the advent of the harvester, like a lot of things in farming the small guy will not be able to compete with the big growers, costs will be to high.leading to company farms taking over ?

Around here small fuel tankers are used , second-hand ones imported from Japan too fuel the harvesters, thay seem to use a lot of fuel ,and work long hours now fuel is relatively cheap ,a fuel increase could make machine harvesting, expensive for some smaller growers.

So, maybe your Issan weigh stations, may even catch on here , enabling the small guy to grow some cane .and make some money.

Insurance ,is there any in Thailand, never heard of public liability insurance, must exist for big company's ,but if my cane harvester caught fire , and then set light to a field of cane , who would be responsible, again would  the grower have any farm insurance  , something  as  basic as  motorbikes  not being  insured, and a  lot are not, would a farm be insured ,I have my doubts, a good question .

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we looked for insurance for the rubber trees many years ago, fire cover, no go as far as we called see-find. the only sort of offfer we got was from the govenment farmers bank, on the father in law, some sort of endowment.5555

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sugar,sorry CLW it snuck up and pasted before i finished.

Another way is with these wholestalk harvesters,haven't seen one operating but my local machinery company has sold 15 machines this year,hope he sells more so i might soon again get Thai prices there instead of Farang:saai:

Regards to the insurance i to have no idea either but would be reluctant to work other peoples land unless you saw it bare. 

When i say my i mean our,someone else's business,i stick to losing money farming.:smile:

20161219_125217.jpg

Edited by farmerjo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, thoongfoned said:

we looked for insurance for the rubber trees many years ago, fire cover, no go as far as we called see-find. the only sort of offfer we got was from the govenment farmers bank, on the father in law, some sort of endowment.5555

Sounds if F In L has the same insurance as my misses, againe from BAAC,  800 baht/year premium, pays out 300 k dying in an accident, 20k from natural causes .5555.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kickstart said:

I can see where you are going,But  this year with cane prices at 700 baht/ton ,and to  cut and haule  to the mill , around here is   350 baht/ ton , that is  50 % of your costs .at your 12  ton rie/yield .4200 baht/rie to  havest 1 rie .makes a hole in the profit margin 

A lot of growers say you get less weight on a truck with  machine cut cane than with manual cut ,but  with  manual cut cane  the trucks are very often overloaded ,(is 20 ton of cane on a trailer hauled by  a Ford 6600 legal),the machine cut cane on a truck will more likely to be legal weight.

There is a problem in harvesters waiting  for trucks, a big queue at the mill, could slow the job down , but a lot of cane is hauled at night time ,less police stopping  trucks  for overweight  loads ,so in theory, morning comes you should have most of your trucks empty, after  tipping they loads at night time .

Have herd machine cut cane given priority over, hand cut cane at the mill when tipping.

Are any harvesters made in Thailand?,you put a link in last year,a company in Kanchanaburi, that imports second-hand harvesters, and re-recons them ,still would be sold on 2-3 millon baht.

I have not been there for a long while but the guy, where you brought your drill he was re-coning one cane  harvester .

As has been said with cutters getting more difficult to find , harvesters will be used more each year .

I think with the advent of the harvester, like a lot of things in farming the small guy will not be able to compete with the big growers, costs will be to high.leading to company farms taking over ?

Around here small fuel tankers are used , second-hand ones imported from Japan too fuel the harvesters, thay seem to use a lot of fuel ,and work long hours now fuel is relatively cheap ,a fuel increase could make machine harvesting, expensive for some smaller growers.

So, maybe your Issan weigh stations, may even catch on here , enabling the small guy to grow some cane .and make some money.

Insurance ,is there any in Thailand, never heard of public liability insurance, must exist for big company's ,but if my cane harvester caught fire , and then set light to a field of cane , who would be responsible, again would  the grower have any farm insurance  , something  as  basic as  motorbikes  not being  insured, and a  lot are not, would a farm be insured ,I have my doubts, a good question .

 

Your right about the bigger farms KS,i've worked these figures around 1000 rai of sugar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CLW said:
23 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

20161219_125217.thumb.jpg.9b308d12be0af3845608ae334c12dd42.jpg

Cassava harvester?

Sugar cane havester ,no blade to dig in to the soil and lift the tubers, nowhere for the tubers to go when lifted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the harvester out yesterday morning and took off some more sunn hemp.

The seed is a bit smaller than the 1st lot done but moisture was also down at 16%

 

 

20180101_110434.jpg

20180101_110454.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an inch of rain a couple of nights ago so good opportunity to start levelling the rice field early.

 

 

20180111195728.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 24 January 2018 01:06
Sponsors
×