Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 16 November 2018 09:01
farmerjo

Maize and Rotational Crops

Looking at your original photo and the amount of grass that the worms have to work at, they will be busy.

I can still see a lot of that grass still on the surface next year at drilling time, with your no-till system ,the direct drill would have a job to cut through  that  old grass to get too the soil underneath and drill the crop, Ok by May next year a lot will have rotted down ,but a lot will still be on the surface .

I know you are trying for a no-till system, but they is a lot of grass they and a lot of the seeds will have been shed and will grow again next year.

What it wants is incorporating into the soil, on that clay land of yours all that organic matter would do the soil some good,

So how, maybe a Thai Pan-Chet, 7 discs, disc plough would help one or maybe two passes, best of all a one pass cultivator .a frame with ridged tines and spring tines, maybe a crumbler bar at the back, not difficult to make, it would incorporate the grass a treat, with your acreage it would soon pay for its self. 

I

Looking at your original photo and the amount of grass that the worms have to work at, they will be busy.

I can still see a lot of that grass still on the surface next year at drilling time, with your no-till system ,the direct drill would have a job to cut through  that  old grass to get too the soil underneath and drill the crop, Ok by May next year a lot will have rotted down ,but a lot will still be on the surface .

I know you are trying for a no-till system, but they is a lot of grass they and a lot of the seeds will have been shed and will grow again next year.

What it wants is incorporating into the soil, on that clay land of yours all that organic matter would do the soil some good,

So how, maybe a Thai Pan-Chet, 7 discs, disc plough would help one or maybe two passes, best of all a one pass cultivator .a frame with ridged tines and spring tines, maybe a crumbler bar at the back, not difficult to make, it would incorporate the grass a treat, with your acreage it would soon pay for its self. 

I