Thailand Forum
lostinisaan

How Dangerous Are These Scorpions And What's Best If One Stung You?

MINIMIGLIA    224

The black scorpions are relatively harmless, small sting like a wasp, the worst ones are the little grey ones, hurt like hell for a couple of days, none life threatening here.

• Thanks 1

akirasan    482

The best way I found to catch/remove scorpions is use a garden hoe to scrape them onto a long handled plastic dustpan.  Tilt the dustpan at around a 30 degree angle while you're carrying it and they can't get traction to escape.  

Doesn't hurt the scorpion and you can safely relocate them to your neighbours garden.  

• Like 1

oldhippy    1,346
11 minutes ago, akirasan said:

The best way I found to catch/remove scorpions is use a garden hoe to scrape them onto a long handled plastic dustpan.  Tilt the dustpan at around a 30 degree angle while you're carrying it and they can't get traction to escape.  

Doesn't hurt the scorpion and you can safely relocate them to your neighbours garden.  

I hope for you that your neighbours don't follow your advise.

• Like 2

MINIMIGLIA    224
36 minutes ago, akirasan said:

Just stamp on them much easier?

• Like 1

oldhippy    1,346
3 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Don't forget to put your shoes on first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Damrongsak    419
On 4/28/2015 at 7:47 PM, DILLIGAD said:

Lostinisaan, they have a lot less powerful venom than the local millipedes. Those are worth watching out for (having been bitten twice!)

Back around 1978, there was a farang monk in Loei who was from New Zealand.  Got one of those caught up in his robe in the crapper one night.  Definitely worth watching out for.  As I recall, the big, black scorpions are not as bad as the smaller tan colored ones.

jenny2017    21
1 hour ago, akirasan said:

"Relocate them to your neighbours garden?" 

Edited by jenny2017

dotpoom    4,312

Lots of people making us aware of how knowledgeable they are about these creatures......and particularly skillful at avoiding answering your actual question.

MINIMIGLIA    224
1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Lots of people making us aware of how knowledgeable they are about these creatures......and particularly skillful at avoiding answering your actual question.

See my post 46 what else????????????

jenny2017    21
On 9/10/2017 at 7:42 AM, MINIMIGLIA said:

Or BBQ them and flush them with some Lao Kao?

jeab1980    1,860

We have a good few of the big black ones around. Stung once two years ago hurt like hell for 6hrs or so ice pack and pain killers. Went to local quack straight after it stung she suggested avoiding them in future whilst laughing. I now if i see one put on my heavy duty welding gloves and pick the sucker up place it where i can get a good stamp at the little sucker with my size 12 wellingtons. Works every time.

atyclb    1,656

i was stung by an elephant scorpion. pain at site 8-9 / 10 .  went to hospital out of fear of possible venom side effects.  er doctor told me thai scorpions dont have dangerous venom.

intravenous morphine lowered pain to tolerable level but still hurt. 2-3 hours better.

atyclb    1,656
On 9/10/2017 at 9:32 AM, dotpoom said:

morphine at local hospital but likely ice pack to site and ibuprofen (if not allergic) is next best thing.  in retrospect an injection at sting site of local anesthetic would have been more effective for pain and no morphine side effects.  probably safer for very young and elderly to be monitored at hospital until pain resolved