Gonzo the Face

Page Of Remembrance

399 posts in this topic

Allen is a big loss to the Chiangmai community. A real gentleman and all-round top bloke.

I lived and worked as a teacher in Chiang Mai in the 90s and I've been catching up on news of old friends while visiting this month. Sad to hear about John Moore. Friendly, sociable guy who ran Pun Pun guest house by the river with his wife Daeng. Used to enjoy chatting with both of them years ago. Hope Daeng is doing fine now, wherever she is.

Daeng has remarried to a nice guy and seems very happy. ..... and little Demi , is not little Demi anymore..... She has grown up to be as beautiful a young lady as she was a beautiful baby. I believe they live around Hang Dong somewhere, as memory serves.

I used to know John Moore. I believe he went to England for a few weeks, arrived back in Thailand, walked into his house and within a few minutes collapsed and died from a massive stroke. He was 52 I think. I used to belong to his archery club in Mai Rim. Must be 8 or 10 years ago since he died.

Robert Fossum, who I first met in Bangkok 30 years ago.  Found floating in the Mekong at Chiang Khong a few days back. Left a farewell note.  He had many good times and stories to tell.  RIP.

By 'LEGAL' I mean, within the law. I don't mean to imply I offer legal advice, just moral support, all the way home. :-)

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk

On 9/7/2016 at 3:28 PM, ianf said:

Many people in Chiang Mai and elsewhere in Thailand knew Andrew Bond. Sadly he was electrocuted at home in Chiang Mai on Saturday whilst fixing some ceiling wiring. You can find more details about Andrew on his Facebook page which is being kept open. The funeral and funeral rites are this week and the details are there too. Andrew was a local businessperson, travel writer and cyclist. He was well known as the owner of the 1-stop Thailand website. I've known him for 7 years and we would cycle together from time to time. He was so full of knowledge (and opinion) about Thai current affairs, Chiang Mai travel and mountain biking that I found him to be a positive and fascinating man. He leaves behind a wife and two young children. Condolences to all who loved him.

Must admit this announcement knocked me for six. Didn't know Andrew well but met him many times, the last name I would expect to see on here.

Condolences to his family; a really personable and positive guy, a great loss. I am pretty much at a loss for words, such a super fit and upbeat guy.

1 person likes this

Does anyone remember David that ran the Bagel House with his lovely wife? Unfortunately I never knew his last name, but he was a nice looking young man of about 40 years old with a young child.

He passed away from cancer recently. I sent him an email a few days ago and his wife answered it with the bad news.

I did not know him long, but he made quite an impression on me.

RIP David. 

ID: 388   Posted (edited)

When I saw this I could believe it was sent back to us from all those who have gone on.

Click and I hope it moves you as much as it did me.

The link on You Tube cannot show, but if you Google  " Steve Wentworth   A Christmas Message from Heaven "  .... I think it will be worth your time.  After its Googled up, click on the You Tube version  Please do click on it

All the Best of the Season in memory of those who have gone 

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face
1 person likes this

ID: 389   Posted (edited)

I did some research on David of the Bagel House Cafe.

David Andrew Boswell
Date of Birth:
October 24, 1971
Date of Death:
December 4, 2016 in Houston Texas
His obituary is online.

RIP
Edited by Ulysses G.
1 person likes this

It is with regret that i have to advise people of the passing of Rik Fulscher

Manny would have known him through the Chiang Mai Expats Club

He passes away sadly last night at about 10 PM

He had heart and lung failure

I believe  He was cremated at suan dok today

My condolences go to Kathy at this sad time

The fellow Eric, who had that broken neck and a serious concussion. Rode around NW Chiang Mai on a beat up motorcycle, head twisted to the side, woke up somewhere in Ko Samui and didn't remember much. Intelligent from Connecticut with a huge vocabulary, but no money, we had to buy him beers but we tired of doing it. Then they found him in his condo passed for three days or so near the convention center.  A few months ago.

Andrew Forbes, who lived in Chiang Mai for over 20 years, passed away suddenly in Luang Prabang, Laos aged 67, on March 5, 2017.  He was in Luang Prabang to lead a tour of Indochina for Wilderness Travel.  Hearing of his illness, his best friend and business partner David Henley rushed to LPB and was with him in his final moments.  His wife Phet arranged a cremation there and his ashes were returned to Chiang Mai and spread on the Ping River, after a ceremony at his home in Nong Khwai, Hang Dong, attended by his daughter Isabel, who lives in London, and his many friends in Chiang Mai.

Andrew, full appellation, Dr. Andrew Donald Wilson Rashid Forbes, led a life rich of travel and experience.  He was a scholar, whose PhD thesis “Muslim and Warlords in Chinese Central Asia: A Political History of Republican Sinkiang 1911–1949 “ was published by Cambridge University Press, and  a historian of great knowledge, particularly on East Asia and the Middle East.  His series of books “Ancient Chiang Mai” give valuable insights into many esoteric corners of Northern Thai history and culture.

I had the good fortune to work with Andrew and David some time ago, producing illustrated large format books to form a series called “Peoples and Cultures of Southeast Asia”. I was impressed not only with his powerful intellect and incredible knowledge, but also his sense of humor and appreciation of life’s absurdities and vagaries.  His generosity of spirit gave me valuable encouragement in my aspiration to write, and always kept me laughing.

We’ll miss you, Doctor Forbes!

Regarding my post above on Andrew Forbes, please note that Andrew passed away on February 5, not March 5.  My apologies for the error.

It is with the greatest regret that I must report the death of long term CM resident and US citizen Richard Bonine. His daughter Catherine has just informed me that he passed away this morning.

For those of you who knew him he had been suffering recurring respiratory problems in recent years and was only able to visit his favourite haunts when the smog and temperatures allowed.

Richard was a fine man who I have had the privilege of being able to call a friend for many years. We would meet, in his healthier days, in a variety of watering holes and ‘put the world to rights’, we would not always agree with the outcome of those ‘discussions’ but all always parted friends and agreed to disagree.

Recently, as bad health caught up with him, he was only able to go out to the city for an early morning coffee and pick up some western food and a discussion! Despite his failing health he kept a cheery but cynical outlook on life which I and all his friends will certainly miss.

Richard’s funeral will be held at Wat Ko Klang on Monday. I will post more details as I get them.

RIP Richard and my condolences to all of your family and friends.

Rip: Dew Kosurat (Cutler Barber Shop)

This is just a quick message to let people know that the young barber Diew (Dew) of the Cutler Barber Shop has died. The reason for my post here is that Cutler's is a popular vintage barbers with foreigners in Chiang Mai. Therefore, there will be some of you here who knew this lovely guy. Sorry, I don't know the circumstances of his demise.

There's a bit more English info on their FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/THECUTLERBARBER/?fref=nf&pnref=story

Best regards,

Stubby

One many of you may know, Mark Tartano passed away last night, 9th April, with a blood infection.

Mark ran the Pirate's Cove for several years and more recently was managing Tawan's Bar and Bistro off Chan Klan Road. I don't know any details regarding the funeral yet.

One of the nicest guys I've met here, rest in peace big man.

A very polite large fellow that has been running Taiwan's for several years? A very pleasant man and a good cook too. RIP Mark.

13 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

A very polite large fellow that has been running Taiwan's for several years?

That's him. Far too young to go.

10 hours ago, naboo said:

That's him. Far too young to go.

Yes indeed. He seemed like he had a lot going for him.