Gonzo the Face

Page Of Remembrance

400 posts in this topic

Alex Ripsher

MarkTurati

Both Chelsea lads who used to get down the footie,both had ghosts in the wardrobe,but still had hearts of gold!:crazy:.

This week marked the second anniversary since the brutal murder of David Crisp. Gone but not forgotten, except maybe by justice.....

Christopher Billingsley, a great man, a great friend,heart and soul of any party.

<br />Christopher Billingsley, a great man, a great friend,heart and soul of any party.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

We lost another good man from this expat community last week. Rutger Addink from Holland, the genial host and expertise behind Massage Salon Loi Kroh, passed away as a result of head injuries sustained when he was hit by a motorcycle last June.

A self-effacing, multi-lingual man, Rutger had a very colourful background, was a born traveller and 'people person'.

He had sold jewelry in Holland which he imported from Afghanistan, a place he visited twice a year by driving there and back in a VW camper van.

In the late 70's/early 80's he owned and ran a high class restaurant in northern France, and for some years was the Food & Beverage Manager for Southern Sun Hotels in S.Africa and Zimbabwe.

Rutger ran a totally respectable, theraputic massage business, was an excellent and loving father to his one daughter and a good friend to many.

No funeral details available at time of posting; info awaited from the Hon Consul of The Netherlands.

<br />Christopher Billingsley, a great man, a great friend,heart and soul of any party.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

We lost another good man from this expat community last week. Rutger Addink from Holland, the genial host and expertise behind Massage Salon Loi Kroh, passed away as a result of head injuries sustained when he was hit by a motorcycle last June.

A self-effacing, multi-lingual man, Rutger had a very colourful background, was a born traveller and 'people person'.

He had sold jewelry in Holland which he imported from Afghanistan, a place he visited twice a year by driving there and back in a VW camper van.

In the late 70's/early 80's he owned and ran a high class restaurant in northern France, and for some years was the Food & Beverage Manager for Southern Sun Hotels in S.Africa and Zimbabwe.

Rutger ran a totally respectable, theraputic massage business, was an excellent and loving father to his one daughter and a good friend to many.

No funeral details available at time of posting; info awaited from the Hon Consul of The Netherlands.

Never met him, but sounds like a most interesting and worthwhile man.

RIP

Oh Dear. Seems Chef Stefano from Da Mattia (Italaian restaurant on Chang Klan) has passed away. He was a young and nice guy. His place is named for his young son. Not sure what's happened, but I see the announcement in the CM Mail. Sad.

<br /><br /><br />

I am deeply saddened by this. I used to chat with him occasionally over the past few years when he stopped in at the CM Saloon and I happened to be there.

I remember trading stories of Afghanistan with him- we were both going there in the same era.

Truly a gentleman and a kind soul.

RIP, Rutger.

I'd heard Rutger (I called him Rodger) was in hospital. So sad to hear he's died, I'd been going to his massage shop for at least 10 years, maybe more. The best massage in Chiang Mai in my opinion. My wife did her massage training in his massage school and over the last couple of years he'd taken to popping in for a Sangsom and Coke every now and then. Another death due to a motorcycle accident. A quietly spoken man, who only spoke passionately when discussing Thai massage, which he seemed to truly understand . God Rest his Soul. Sad Loss

My great friend and mentor, Lucas Villiger, founder and owner for many years of the Darling Wine Pub (first on Nimmanhaemin then Huay Kaew Road) passed away from complications during surgery in Switzerland about ten days ago. If any of his friends here are interested, I am thinking of organising a small get together, please PM me for details. You loved him or hated him, he was that kind of guy, but he was fiercely intelligent, cantankerous, hospitable to some while rude to others, but for me, he taught me so much about how to think and view the world. He loved to challenge the mind and for that many of us will forever be grateful. He will be missed.

<br />That is sad to hear.  He was a nice and very interesting man!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi.

So was 'Angel', an American man in his early 40's, quite well known in the local classic car world, who passed away of natural causes some weeks ago. I only heard about this today and, sorry, still don't know his full name.

He was the technical brain behind a fuel saving device which used hydrogen to get better consumption. More info would come from Thai 'Jimmy' of J & N Autos, southern ring road, not far from Global House, who retails the fuel saving kit.

Sad to hear about Lucas Khun Sao Chiang Mai. He was 'difficult' but also wonderful. His BF passed years before I think. Wish them all well. Cheers from Montreal.

William Young, Helped U.S. Organize Secret War in Laos, Is Dead at 76 - Obituary in Today's NY Times.

CHIANG MAI, Thailand — William Young, a missionary's son who mixed evangelical zeal with covert missions for the C.I.A. in Southeast Asia and who helped organize the "secret war " in Laos for the United States during the Vietnam War, died on Friday at his home here in northern Thailand. He was 76. (snip ...)

William Young followed his father's path and joined the C.I.A. after a year serving in the United States Army. In the early 1960s, as the war in Vietnam escalated, Mr. Young assembled an army of local tribespeople in neighboring Laos, a force that at its peak reached several thousand men.

"We used to jokingly call him the American warlord," said Bertil Lintner, an author and longtime friend of Mr. Young's. "He was ideally placed to organize the secret war in Laos."

As far as I know, I never met him, but would have liked to. He must have been very knowledgeable about North Thailand and Laos. Anyone here knew him? Lived in and around Chiang Mai almost his whole life by the sound of things.

As far as I know, I never met him, but would have liked to. He must have been very knowledgeable about North Thailand and Laos. Anyone here knew him? Lived in and around Chiang Mai almost his whole life by the sound of things.

I met him a couple of times, but only really knew his son. Bill Young seemed quiet, unassuming and kept a low profile, but then what he had already done by the time I met him in the early '90s -- one would keep a low profile.

His cover was really blown by the seminal book "Politics of Heroin in Southeast Asia". He told me he thought the author McCoy was a fellow agent because he seemed to know so much, so Bill talked openly with him. If you haven't read the book, it really is comprehensive on that fascinating time. It is still widely quoted today and some of the explosive revelations came (unintentionally) from Bill Young.

As I understand it, he was married several times, to hilltribe "princesses".

Bill was a fixture in this part of the world. He used to spend quite a bit of time in Chiang Mai but in past few years came to town for a good meal, less frequently. I enjoyed visiting with him on numerous occasions, each very informative, when you got him going.

RIP