Gonzo the Face

Page Of Remembrance

400 posts in this topic

Something Blinky Bill said triggered a thought in my mind about all the drinking mates that I have known and remember since being in Chiang Mai, specifically those who have passed on

I would like to start a list of those I remember here in Chiang Mai and would like all other local members to chip in and add the names they remember. Just add them onto the list and in this way maybe all of us together or by ourselves can have a drink and say salute, salude, old buddy, I remember and miss you.

Here is the start of the list I would like to remember, add to it if you like and see how many we can remember.

Salute Good Buddies :o

Skipper

Andy the Scot

J. B. Gross

Jeremy

Roger Morton

Allister the Scot

Jack Wall

Rick Cherry [ Dr. Lic ]

Crickett ........ way before her time

add on guys and gals

:D

And there is Rolfe (Flamingo Bar)

And I just learned that Dennis Monkhouse passed away some time back in Australia. Still working, had breakfast and died at his desk. !!

He hadn't visited Chiangmai for a couple of years but was well known to many on the forum, MM & BB being just a couple.

I just hope that I am as sharp at 75 as he was at 86.

Not to wish ill on any soul,and not to add to the page if it is before his time, but someone just told me that The Andy Gill had passed on.....

However you feel/felt about Andy, he is/was a character...

Any one know any thing about this...... last I heard he was living in UK or back in Europe//

gonzo

Not to wish ill on any soul,and not to add to the page if it is before his time, but someone just told me that The Andy Gill had passed on.....

However you feel/felt about Andy, he is/was a character...

Any one know any thing about this...... last I heard he was living in UK or back in Europe//

gonzo

Haven't heard Gonz but I'm sure if that if it is true word will come through soon enough.

Can someone please confirm this news about Andy Gill? I know many many people who will be most interested. I am surprised the press haven't picked up on it.

Anyone know what happened to the American who ran Oasis bar - now Johns Place/Cozy corner??

Anyone know what happened to the American who ran Oasis bar - now Johns Place/Cozy corner??

Pretty sure that he drank himself to death. :o

Old Stuart/Stewart. You got that one right UG, a bottle or 2 of the heavy stuff a day will do it. And his missus was just waiting for him to die. She wasn't a very nice lady.

ID: 38   Posted (edited)

If I remember correctly, he locked himself in a room above the bar and people used to send up supplies through the window in a metal bucket with a rope and pulley system for quite a length of time. :D

Chiang Mai was WILD before all the yuppies moved in. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Old Stuart/Stewart. You got that one right UG, a bottle or 2 of the heavy stuff a day will do it. And his missus was just waiting for him to die. She wasn't a very nice lady.

She was in all likelihood the reason that he was drinking.

I haven't seen any mention of the gentleman who owned the Coq D'Or..? I never met him, but it seems he was quite a character. He left some of his books to Premcenter School library.

She was in all likelihood the reason that he was drinking.

Yes, Stuart died from alchoholism. For some reason I can't even remember the name of his wife, but her common nickname was simply "the dragon lady".

Thanks. Interesting.

Any other stories about regulars at Oasis?

In the early 1980s I met 3 Aussies who were regulars, I mean drinking at the Oasis just about every night, who had robbed a bank down under and were living a fun life on the lam in Chiang Mai town.

Thanks. Interesting.

Any other stories about regulars at Oasis?

In the early 1980s I met 3 Aussies who were regulars, I mean drinking at the Oasis just about every night, who had robbed a bank down under and were living a fun life on the lam in Chiang Mai town.

Ahh... those were the days! :o

Chiang Mai was WILD before all the yuppies moved in. :o

Right. But you can't remember that, yuppie.