ubonjoe

Border Run Alternatives

626 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2017 at 1:37 PM, ubonjoe said:

They count entries by sea the same as by land.

When I returned to Phuket from Langkawi, I asked the immigration officer if the entries that were stamped in my guests passports were counted as land entries and the officer told me that they were the same as if they had arrived by air. However, another immigration officer in another province may not agree but in Phuket, one can make as many voyages to Malaysia as they want with no limit.

Hi 

I'm a UK citizen with a Thai family and have been living here continuously (bar visa runs) for a bit over three years. My partner is a bloke, so I can't show marriage eveidence. I live with his family - I've been coming to and fro for another 18 years. - and regard them as my own. 

My OA Retirement visa expired at the end of January and I am unable to renew it because the combination of the collapse of the pound and the raising of the income threshold to 65,000THB means I'm below the requirement. All will be well again in July 2018 when my state pension kicks in.

In the meantime I am planning to do runs to Vientiane - the closest to where I live in rural Lopburi - getting a single entry tourist visa (they seem not to be prepared to issue multi entry) and exteding it at the local immigration office in Lopburi to give an effective 90 day between visa runs. I've done two runs so far.

I've heard rumour, but can find no evidence on line, that there is now a limit of two conscutive tourist visas from the same consulate.

That would well and truly screw up my plan.......

Firstly, is it true?

Secondly, any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

The income of 65k baht has been the same for many years  (2003). Did you consider doing the combination of gross annual income and money in the bank to reach a total of 800k baht.

There is no overall 2 tourist visas back to back rule.

Vientiane will do 3 tourist visas back to back with some people getting 4 of them.

After you get 3 at Vientiane you could go to another embassy or consulate and get 2 more.

Was planning on going to Vientiane May 10th but i now see its a Thai public holiday.

Anyone can confirm if Vientiane will be open or closed on Weds 10th May please?

5 hours ago, happyas said:

Was planning on going to Vientiane May 10th but i now see its a Thai public holiday.

Anyone can confirm if Vientiane will be open or closed on Weds 10th May please?

Closed for Visakha Bucha Day (see http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/embassy/calendar.php).

ID: 607   Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Closed for Visakha Bucha Day (see http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/embassy/calendar.php).

Thanks 

I will have to change dates.

I will save that link also , for future reference.

PS i see is also closed on 12th May..that will make for a crazy week up there, if you don't go on Monday 10Th you won't get the two day turnaround.,

PPS My application is due on 13th so the following week is no good, but if i go the earlier week eg 3rd May  will my visa start as of that date [3rd] and i lose 10 days or does it kick in as of the 13th.?

Thanks for advice here.

Edited by happyas

2 hours ago, happyas said:

Thanks 

I will have to change dates.

I will save that link also , for future reference.

PS i see is also closed on 12th May..that will make for a crazy week up there, if you don't go on Monday 10Th you won't get the two day turnaround.,

PPS My application is due on 13th so the following week is no good, but if i go the earlier week eg 3rd May  will my visa start as of that date [3rd] and i lose 10 days or does it kick in as of the 13th.?

Thanks for advice here.

Your permission to stay will commence on the day you enter Thailand. If you have a multiple entry visa, its validity begins on the day of issue and expires a year later.

For information, Hong Kong is closed May 10, but open as normal May 12 (see http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/internet/attachments/700.pdf). It is a very easy place to apply. You apply in the morning between 09:00-12:00 and get your visa the following morning between 9:00-12:00. 

1 person likes this

ID: 609   Posted

Hi, 

I need to activate the next 90 days on my non-imigrant visa this month. First I thought I will go to Poipet, but I heard there is not allowed the same day return trip. Also I wanted to use Cambodian e-visa to save passport page. Now I get this info that borderrun is possible at Burma,  Ban Phu Nam Ron , which is even closer and less expensive than Poipet. Can anyone confirm this one if you have been there recently. And if I have to make burmise visa before going there?

ID: 610   Posted

4 hours ago, aoneseller said:

Hi, 

I need to activate the next 90 days on my non-imigrant visa this month. First I thought I will go to Poipet, but I heard there is not allowed the same day return trip. Also I wanted to use Cambodian e-visa to save passport page. Now I get this info that borderrun is possible at Burma,  Ban Phu Nam Ron , which is even closer and less expensive than Poipet. Can anyone confirm this one if you have been there recently. And if I have to make burmise visa before going there?

You don't need a Burmese visa at Phu Nam Ron. You pay 950 baht on the Thai side which pays for your transport across no mans land to the Burmese immigration and back.

ID: 611   Posted

But they going to use a whole passport page upon entering Burma?

ID: 612   Posted

1 hour ago, aoneseller said:

But they going to use a whole passport page upon entering Burma?

Nothing but a entry and departure stamp for Myanmar.

The price of 950 baht includes 500 baht for a Myanmar border pass that requires no stamps or stickers.

Will Ranong give me a 30 day out-in visa exempt entry. UK passport with no exempt entries for maybe 3-4 years.

3 hours ago, notmyself said:

Will Ranong give me a 30 day out-in visa exempt entry. UK passport with no exempt entries for maybe 3-4 years.

Yes they will.

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes they will.

Been years since I have been there because getting on and off of the boat is a nightmare with me being a T12 paraplegic.

3 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Been years since I have been there because getting on and off of the boat is a nightmare with me being a T12 paraplegic.

Perhaps better for you to use the Andaman club crossing. The have better boats.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps better for you to use the Andaman club crossing. The have better boats.

Hmmm. Tempting but it costs less to just fall down and roll into a boat and then have to crawl out of it. On the other hand I know a lady with a car who would quite likely like the trip but don't know what the Andaman club offers. Perhaps you can elucidate.

11 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Hmmm. Tempting but it costs less to just fall down and roll into a boat and then have to crawl out of it. On the other hand I know a lady with a car who would quite likely like the trip but don't know what the Andaman club offers. Perhaps you can elucidate.

Never been there myself but many people have reported it is better than Ranong.

Here is their site. http://www.andamanclub.com/home.html

This presentation video shows the boats. http://www.andamanclub.com/present.html

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Never been there myself but many people have reported it is better than Ranong.

Here is their site. http://www.andamanclub.com/home.html

This presentation video shows the boats. http://www.andamanclub.com/present.html

Dam nnnnnnnn. Given the choice I would actually rather fall down and roll into the boat. Greatest of thanks to UJoe for information.

In the interest of community cohesion and being a helpful chap I should perhaps explain why I asked the question. Sadao (both gates) are essentially not issuing visa exempt entries at the moment even if you have been out of the kingdom for >48 hours.

1 person likes this