Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
ubonjoe

Border Run Alternatives

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes.

 

As long as you don't have a history of multiple visa exempt entries you should have no problem with an out/in visa exempt entry at either Nong Khai or Mukdahan.

 

The only crossing that might not allow a visa exempt out/in entry is Chiang Khong.

ARRGH, thats the one i was focussing on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, aquario33 said:

ARRGH, thats the one i was focussing on...

There are recent reports of people doing out/in visa exempt entries at that crossing so it is possible. The only reason I said "might not" is due to a couple of reports from people that had problems.

 

If you don't have a history of visa exempt entries then you should be ok at Chiang Khong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, elviajero said:

There are recent reports of people doing out/in visa exempt entries at that crossing so it is possible. The only reason I said "might not" is due to a couple of reports from people that had problems.

 

If you don't have a history of visa exempt entries then you should be ok at Chiang Khong.

any idea about Mai sai as another alternative? I will need 14 days before leaving the country aniway, after the one month extension at immigration....thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aquario33 said:

any idea about Mai sai as another alternative? I will need 14 days before leaving the country aniway, after the one month extension at immigration....thanks

No chance. They haven't allowed them for ages. Chiang Khong is the only chance in that region.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, aquario33 said:

any idea about Mai sai as another alternative? I will need 14 days before leaving the country aniway, after the one month extension at immigration....thanks

You can only do a crossing if have a valid visa for re-entry. They do not allow crossing for a new visa exempt entry.

Chiang Khong is the nearest crossing that will allow them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hold a non-immigrant type O VISA.


Another successful report of extension of stay at Mae Sot border. I went to that border a week ago on a very rainy day, it was almost a suicidal mission but it end up well.


Except that the Immigration Officer of Republic of the Union of Myanmar decided to keep my passport for about 3 hours and told me to go shop around! Officer told me that they can not allow foreign to enter Myanmar without proper VISA (which I didn't have at the occasion), but they do a kind of VOA against a payment of 500 THB in cash only and without receipt. Seems to be the deal to get your extension done.


The problem was not to have to wait 3 hours in Myawaddy (Myanmar side), but it was raining so heavily, the river overflew, and the city around the river banks and in downtown around the pagoda was partly flooded, not much to do in the place except to watch the chaos happening.


pros and cons - it is closer to Bangkok, but the road is very dangerous if you are driving like me, next time, I'm going to Chiang Rai again, it is far way, but much better and safe or maybe I just got unlucky to be there in the rainy season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, aquario33 said:

Is the VOA obtained at Airport BKK still allowed for 30 days extension at Immigration Office?

You would qualify for visa exempt entry (not VOA) at BKK. You get 30 days on entry and can extend that by 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elviajero said:

You would qualify for visa exempt entry (not VOA) at BKK. You get 30 days on entry and can extend that by 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht.

Muchas gracias !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks, OK, so... I have been here on SETV - 2 months plus 30 day extension.

 

Will all expire end of this month approx.

 

Need to leave Kingdom and go to another country and apply for a whole new visa.

 

Not same as old days with triple entry and border crossing.

 

So........... quick Q - best, nearest country to do that? British, 40. Passport does have a years worth of border crossing but from 2 or 3 years ago.

 

Only planned to be here 6 months in total but it might be longer due to year contract on condo so might have to do the SETV again and again.

 

What's the latest?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

22 minutes ago, Malthus101 said:

Hi folks, OK, so... I have been here on SETV - 2 months plus 30 day extension.

 

Will all expire end of this month approx.

 

Need to leave Kingdom and go to another country and apply for a whole new visa.

 

Not same as old days with triple entry and border crossing.

 

So........... quick Q - best, nearest country to do that? British, 40. Passport does have a years worth of border crossing but from 2 or 3 years ago.

 

Only planned to be here 6 months in total but it might be longer due to year contract on condo so might have to do the SETV again and again.

 

What's the latest?

 

Thanks.

Vientiane or Savannakhet in Laos or Penang, Maylasia are recommended.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I will read about those options. Don't fancy Vientiane again much, horrible place lol!  - although it's a bit further, do you happen to know if Manila in the Philippines is an ok place to get Thai visa from?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Malthus101 said:

Thanks, I will read about those options. Don't fancy Vientiane again much, horrible place lol!  - although it's a bit further, do you happen to know if Manila in the Philippines is an ok place to get Thai visa from?

 

Thanks.

Here is a recent report from Manila. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/924403-single-entry-tourist-visa/?do=findComment&comment=10870676

It is possible to get one there, but you'll need a lot of supporting documents that aren't needed in Laos or Penang, Malaysia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, elviajero said:

Here is a recent report from Manila. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/924403-single-entry-tourist-visa/?do=findComment&comment=10870676

It is possible to get one there, but you'll need a lot of supporting documents that aren't needed in Laos or Penang, Malaysia.

Thank you very much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I hope I´m at least a little bit in the correct thread since I didn´t want to open yet another one with my question.

 

I am currently in TH on a METV. I will head back to Europe at the end of October for some business there but my current "60 days stamp" expires on the 12 Oct. So, I could either go to CW for a 30 day extension and pay 1,900 there or look for something more "interesting" for a little bit more than the 1,900. Now, as I am new in LoS and I haven´t been to Udon Thani I thought about doing a Sat/Sun weekend trip there with a quick hop over the border and straight back to Udon Thani for a day/night there. But, having never been there and having never been to that particular border crossing, I wonder if it makes sense to do and if it is stressful or not. I thought about taking the 08:30 flight from DMK to UTH then "somehow" (having had a proper look yet) cross the border into Laos and return to Udon straight away to spend the afternoon/evening there before taking the flight back to Bangkok the next day. What would be the "best/easiest" way be to get from UTH airport straight to Laos and then back to Udon for the night? 

 

Any comments? Thank you!

 

DUS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 21 November 2017 21:13
Sponsors
×