ubonjoe

Border Run Alternatives

642 posts in this topic

My friend told me i could get 2 extensions a year, and then for the rest of the year i need to border run? This is correct, if i want to stay in Thailand for a long time?!

ID: 632   Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Jonathang said:

My friend told me i could get 2 extensions a year, and then for the rest of the year i need to border run? This is correct, if i want to stay in Thailand for a long time?!

No. There is no limit of the number of extensions of stay you can apply for. You can only make 2 land border runs (visa exempt entries) per year without a visa.

Edited by elviajero

If we stay only one night in KUL then flight back to Thailand, can we get the 1 month visa exempt entry?

22 minutes ago, Gilles7733 said:

If we stay only one night in KUL then flight back to Thailand, can we get the 1 month visa exempt entry?

If you qualify for the visa exempt entry then you would indeed get another 1 month visa exempt entry (even if you flew straight back home from KUL the same day you left TH). That is of course, unless you have already numerous back to back visa exempt entries which *might* result in questions being asked by the IO etc. 

Hi,

So far this year i have been on a ED Visa and after that a SETV, that i have extended with 30 days.

As they are to run out soon, i had planed for a month vacation, in indonesia. But as my gf unfortunatly just had an accident and broke her leg, we aint going anywhere for a month or 2.

My idea was to get a new ED when I returned from holiday, but there is too little time before my visa to run out, to use that option.

So my questions are.

1. Can I do a border run, and get 15 or 30 days?

2. And if I can do it, can I then extend thoose 15/30 days?

3. Where would be the best choice for me, to go.

I am based in Hua hin, and will be driving myself.

Cheers.

16 minutes ago, Usi said:

1. Can I do a border run, and get 15 or 30 days?

2. And if I can do it, can I then extend thoose 15/30 days?

3. Where would be the best choice for me, to go.

1. Yes and you will get a 30 day visa exempt entry. The 15 day entry rule was rescinded on January 1st when the 2 visa exempt entries at land border crossings per calendar rule went into effect.

2. You can a 30 day extension at an immigration office.

3. Ranong is the nearest crossing to Hua Hin where you can do the entry. I suggest you have 10k baht in cash in case they ask to see it.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Yes and you will get a 30 day visa exempt entry. The 15 day entry rule was rescinded on January 1st when the 2 visa exempt entries at land border crossings per calendar rule went into effect.

2. You can a 30 day extension at an immigration office.

3. Ranong is the nearest crossing to Hua Hin where you can do the entry. I suggest you have 10k baht in cash in case they ask to see it.

Thank you very much. Your post was as always, very helpful ! :)

2 hours ago, splodger said:

can you fly from bkk to pnom phen and come back next day

Yes, that is possible. Be aware, though, that if you are doing this for a visa exempt entry, and you have spent significant time in Thailand already, Thai immigration may question you on your motivation for spending so much time in Thailand. It is advisable to have 20,000 baht cash on you as a common excuse used by immigration officials who want to deny entry is lack of funds to support yourself in Thailand without working.

1 person likes this

I entered Thailand aboard my sailboat in Phuket sailing from Langkawi in January. I was injured in a boat accident in February, paid a 20,000 baht bond to Thai customs and flew back to Europe for recovery from my injuries. I flew back to Phuket April 29 and got a 30 day visa exempt entry stamp. I then went to customs and was refunded the 20,000 baht. On May 26, I went to Phuket Immigration and paid for an extension of stay for an additional 30 days. My stamp says that I must leave Thailand by June 27 in 6 days time. Phuket Immigration will not extend again and told me I must leave Thailand. My boat needs some repair and will not be ready in time. I will not receive my pension check in time to pay the 20,000 baht bond. I want to go to Ranong and make a quick trip across the border to get extended another 30 days. Will immigration in Ranong allow me to cross over and back without paying the bond?

Do I have to pay 20000

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app