Jingthing

USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

978 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted (edited)

I'm starting to more seriously consider repatriation to the USA. Not right away but it's becoming more clear it's more probable to be in the cards. Not exactly what I want but I feel external forces pushing me back.

Imagine if you needed to repatriate and the place needed to be a lower budget place, the lower the better, but still not horrible. If that exists. Imagine if you didn't have strong connections to friends or relatives back in the USA which would probably be where most people would go first. Frankly, I do have a place like that but I want to consider wider options.

What specific places would you consider?

Personal experience with these places would be more credible other than just the idea of a place.

I realize age and a variety of specific personal circumstances come into play but I'm open to hear a wide range of ideas.

I don't really need the ocean or mountains or anything specific like that, but very cold weather is out. I also prefer a state with Obamacare expanded Medicaid (I'm under Medicare age) but sadly many of the milder weather states don't have that. I like cities but smaller sized cities might be better. Small towns if they are far from cities I think not.

I don't need hopping nightlife but a diversity of ethnic food is important to me.

FYI: Here is a map of the U.S. showing which states have expanded Medicaid:

http://familiesusa.org/product/50-state-look-medicaid-expansion

Edited by Jingthing
2 people like this

ID: 3   Posted (edited)

I have never been there, but a good friend of mine, told me that if he had to move back to usa he would go to Houston, Texas

due to the food, and the low cost of living there..

Just an advice,

Good luck.

That's funny because there was recently a big feature in the Washington Post about what a great FOOD city Houston has become. The most distinctive thing bizarrely is a mixture of Vietnamese food and Cajun!

Oh, here it is:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2015/11/10/the-search-for-americas-best-food-cities-houston/

Edited by Jingthing

ID: 8   Posted (edited)

Thanks for the responses so far.

Yes, I would probably need to work but frankly at this point I'm probably (more like definitely) unemployable (gaps the size of the Holland tunnel).

Thus the emphasis on low cost.

I assume it being the U.S. some kind of car would be needed almost everywhere.

Except for places like San Francisco (seriously can't afford) or Chicago (like it but TOO cold).

If it comes to this, I'm sure gonna miss the baht buses. Even the drivers!

Edited by Jingthing
1 person likes this

ID: 9   Posted (edited)

Are you going to work?

Houston is big. Would you have a car (more $)?

If I didn't have to work and wanted to stay in the USA full time I would get a rig like a 4x4 pickup with a small camper and live a nomadic outdoor lifestyle in the western states. It's not expensive once you have the vehicle.

Good luck.

Yeah I understand that is a dream of many, but knowing myself, I'd probably be happier in some roach infested slum digs than being on the road all the time.

If it sounds like I don't WANT to do this, go back to the USA, that is exactly right. I'm resisting the forces driving me back but the writing on the wall is telling me in the long term I won't win.

Looking on the bright side, I'm sure there are some things I will love being back there. Like good Vietnamese pho.

Things change, even for long term expats. Moving here for life? You never know!

Edited by Jingthing

I think that Florida or Texas would be appealing. Arizona is nice but does have a state income tax, while the other two do not. I am partial to Washington state of course, but Spokane, where we spend half our time, does have four distinct seasons. I like that, but my wife, not so much. And again, no state income taxes in Washington, although sales taxes are fairly high.

1 person likes this

I'm not completely averse to a place that has a winter. But there are limits.

1 person likes this

With low income the income tax might not be such a big issue. Texas is not signed on for the low income medicaid mentioned as a priority.

2 people like this

Not sure about this, but worth looking into maybe. Puerto Rico doesn't have Obamacare but it has a locally funded social heath care system which i believe covers mostly everyone. Cost of living. cheap. Ethnic food, tons.

Just a thought

1 person likes this

I have looked into Puerto Rico and also I have known Anglos who have lived there. My research says you need to learn Spanish, that's fine, but what's not fine is that the cost of living is actually quite high.

With low income the income tax might not be such a big issue. Texas is not signed on for the low income medicaid mentioned as a priority.

Yes. Maybe I can delay this until I'm 65 though. Not likely. Texas near the border is good for runs to Mexico for cheaper medical care and medications.