Thailand Forum
Jingthing

USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

Jingthing    34,168
Thank you Mr. Bigot.  

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Ha ha.  

Joking or not, it's moronic to act like race/ethnicity isn't a huge fact of life in the USA. On my Latino Barrio experiences I had blondie friends there and they all got mugged multiple times. I never was. Purely anecdotal that's the ticket.

Anyway like I said before I like to have plenty of Latinos around but I prefer areas that aren't strongly dominated by any ethnicity. Other people like different dynamics. It is part of the choice of where you live if you have any choice.

Jingthing    34,168

This is really bizarre. Until a few days ago I had never heard of Delmar Loop or University City Missouri in my entire life. Just now saw a news report showing it on Fox News because of the violent protests there. Seems like some kind of cosmic message but not sure what that message is.

Jingthing    34,168

BTW if you were not joking before I really do not mind. I think everyone is racist as far as being aware of differences. It's what you do with that information that often becomes problematic when it unfairly hurts people. People acting like they don't see color is kind of a joke.

Kim1950    50
4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My ideal is an interesting mix of ethnicities and enough Asians to support authentic restaurants.

Your challenge is to find such an ideal place on a 'Thai Expat Income'. Are you imagining a place in the US like the post Vietnam War where Vietnamese, Cambodian, Lao and refugees with ethnic Chinese backgrounds, even Thai's settled in extreme low income 'hoods', lived the American Dream and now have 'places' available on low income. They have renovated these refugee or immigrants areas. Their children have college professions and careers. They are living the 'Dream'. Not cheap.

• Like 1

Jingthing    34,168
47 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

Your challenge is to find such an ideal place on a 'Thai Expat Income'. Are you imagining a place in the US like the post Vietnam War where Vietnamese, Cambodian, Lao and refugees with ethnic Chinese backgrounds, even Thai's settled in extreme low income 'hoods', lived the American Dream and now have 'places' available on low income. They have renovated these refugee or immigrants areas. Their children have college professions and careers. They are living the 'Dream'. Not cheap.

I don't expect to realize any kind of ideal. I thought I've already made that abundantly clear ad nauseum. It's all about trade-offs. BIG ones. 

But there are extremes. I wouldn't seek to live in a uni-racial locality of any race, including of course white people. That is reasonably realistic. Yes, I want enough Asians around to support authentic Asian restaurants. That is also reasonably realistic. It could be 2 percent of a large city, but less than 1 percent in a small city, not so good. 

I'm not interested in sharing every detail of my personal finances and different resources and potential resources on this thread, but I also think I've been very clear that I expect my cost of living to be considerably higher in the USA, even in crappy places, and the quality of life lower.

Which begs the question, why go back? Which isn't really what this thread is about. People DO go back all the time for all kinds of reasons, positive and negative ones, and there is a fair chance I will too.

Edited by Jingthing

mogandave    2,166
Ha ha.  Joking or not, it's moronic to act like race/ethnicity isn't a huge fact of life in the USA. On my Latino Barrio experiences I had blondie friends there and they all got mugged multiple times. I never was. Purely anecdotal that's the ticket.

Anyway like I said before I like to have plenty of Latinos around but I prefer areas that aren't strongly dominated by any ethnicity. Other people like different dynamics. It is part of the choice of where you live if you have any choice.

Yes, and I never had a problem with a baht-bus driver, so there ya go,

I went to grammar school in a Mexican ghetto (carmelas varrio) and worked for two years in a black ghetto (Compton) and I never got "mugged".

It's all about attitude

• Haha 1

Jingthing    34,168
1 minute ago, mogandave said:

Yes, and I never had a problem with a baht-bus driver, so there ya go,

I went to grammar school in a Mexican ghetto (carmelas varrio) and worked for two years in a black ghetto (Compton) and I never got "mugged".

It's all about attitude

My attitude is WALK FAST.