ubonjoe

The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

2,191 posts in this topic

Just wondering how this would affect somone flying from the UK who has already booked a return ticket for 62 days and was planning to get a triple entry visa.

Will you be able to enter Thailand on a visa on arrival and then just do a couple of border runs or is it possible to get an immigration extension?

Guess one of the problems is 62 days is 2 days over the 30 day VOA and 102 x 15 day border extensions. Sorry to be specific but this is a real situation as my nephew has booked Dec 31 returning March 1st. What are his options? He is planning to travel outside of Thailand but nothing booked as yet before returning to BKK and flying home, His problem around new rules is that he is very recently self employed and dont think he had proof of £5k for 6 months of bank statements. Obviously I could transfer some money into his account but I suspect this wouldnt meet with the approval of the authoritites!

Happy to start a separate thread if this is diverging too much

Thanks

Enter on a visa exempt 30 days

Extend at immigration 30 days

Pay 2 days overstay

ID: 80   Posted (edited)

Just wondering how this would affect somone flying from the UK who has already booked a return ticket for 62 days and was planning to get a triple entry visa.

Will you be able to enter Thailand on a visa on arrival and then just do a couple of border runs or is it possible to get an immigration extension?

Guess one of the problems is 62 days is 2 days over the 30 day VOA and 102 x 15 day border extensions. Sorry to be specific but this is a real situation as my nephew has booked Dec 31 returning March 1st. What are his options? He is planning to travel outside of Thailand but nothing booked as yet before returning to BKK and flying home, His problem around new rules is that he is very recently self employed and dont think he had proof of £5k for 6 months of bank statements. Obviously I could transfer some money into his account but I suspect this wouldnt meet with the approval of the authoritites!

Thanks

Those from the UK with British passports are not eligible for a VOA !

And ! VOA's only provide a 15 day entry .................

There are no 15 day "border extensions" for people from the UK or anywhere else.

If you have a return ticket dated 62 days from the day of arrival then

1. Buy a single entry tourist visa from the Thai Embassy or one of the consulates which will provide a 60 day entry.

2. Apply for a 7 day extension at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 Bht

3 . Invest in a good tourist guide book such as the Lonely Planet!

Edited by oncearugge

Pay 2 days overstay

Single Entry tourist visa =60 days

Extension =90 days

Or leaving the country before extension then visa exempt on return.

Get SETV.

He doesn't need the METV

He is arriving Dec 31 but planning to exit Thailand around Jan 12th to Laos and/or Cambodia for about 2 weeks most likely by ground transport. So he will arrive back in Thailand the last week of Jan and then potentially have another 5 weeks or so left, so what would his options be?

Will Heathrow staff refuse to let him board if he can only show a return flight to BKK some 60 days later with no other flights or onward out of country travel booked? He only has a hotel booked for the first 3 days in BKK

Thanks for all the helpful responses all.

What is a UK passport holder entitled to then when arriving by plane now? I am a bit concerned myself now as I am coming to Thailand for 3 weeks in December and was just planning on arriving as normal as I am staying under 30 days.

Thanks

Those from the UK with British passports are not eligible for a VOA !

And ! VOA's only provide a 15 day entry .................

There are no 15 day "border extensions" for people from the UK or anywhere else.

If you have a return ticket dated 62 days from the day of arrival then

1. Buy a single entry tourist visa from the Thai Embassy or one of the consulates which will provide a 60 day entry.

2. Apply for a 7 day extension at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 Bht

3 . Invest in a good tourist guide book such as the Lonely Planet!

He is planning to travel outside of thailand before 60 days. Maybe now it would be sensible to stay in thailand for the first 6 weeks and then travel out of Thailand the last 2 weeks before re-entering Thailand for BKK flight home.

If he did do this would the single entry suffice, i.e. would it cover him for 6 weeks without the need for anything else?

Pay 2 days overstay

Single Entry tourist visa =60 days

Extension =90 days

Or leaving the country before extension then visa exempt on return.

Get SETV.

He doesn't need the METV

He is arriving Dec 31 but planning to exit Thailand around Jan 12th to Laos and/or Cambodia for about 2 weeks most likely by ground transport. So he will arrive back in Thailand the last week of Jan and then potentially have another 5 weeks or so left, so what would his options be?

Will Heathrow staff refuse to let him board if he can only show a return flight to BKK some 60 days later with no other flights or onward out of country travel booked? He only has a hotel booked for the first 3 days in BKK

Thanks for all the helpful responses all.

What is a UK passport holder entitled to then when arriving by plane now? I am a bit concerned myself now as I am coming to Thailand for 3 weeks in December and was just planning on arriving as normal as I am staying under 30 days.

Would be nice if the Immigration Officer gave him an Visa Exemption stamp when arriving while having a SETV in his passport. But I couldn't say if he would or wouldn't. Some are more qualified than me.

The Visa Exempt for UK Nationals is 30 days.

He could get a re-entry stamp for ฿1000 but would still need receive an extension, ฿1900 & expensive all round.

Would advise your last post, taylor his trip to his visa.

Arrive on a SETV, visit Loas then return within 30days left to flight home.

Make sure he has the flight home details with him when returning in Thailand.

He get a single entry tourist visa for which none of the requirements discussed here apply. Note what you call VOA is actually visa exempt entry

1 person likes this

ID: 86   Posted (edited)

One day the government will start with what they're trying to achieve and work out from there. At the moment we've got a fallacy at the heart of everything, which is -

All successful countries have complex visa rules

We wish to be successful

Therefore we will have complex visa rules

But the complex rules that other countries have are driven by intentions. You can infer what they're trying to achieve by the rule. You'd struggle to work out what the intentions are behind Thailand's various requirements.

Forcing people to buy a bond on entry that would cover emergency healthcare would make sense. Requiring people to regularly present themselves at a police station makes sense - they might not know that they're wanted and this facilitates arrest.

Edited by Craig krup

Thanks all very much. So just to summarise, the best option appears for him to get a sing entry visa which will allow him 60 days. He should then travel to Laos and Cambodia after approx 45 days which will be within the 60 day SEV. He then returns over the border to Thailand either by foot or Flight a few days before he flies out from BKK and will be ok.

1 person likes this

Thanks all very much. So just to summarise, the best option appears for him to get a sing entry visa which will allow him 60 days. He should then travel to Laos and Cambodia after approx 45 days which will be within the 60 day SEV. He then returns over the border to Thailand either by foot or Flight a few days before he flies out from BKK and will be ok.

No need to travel anywhere, he can extend 60 days for 30 more at any immigration office, fee Bt 1,900.

1 person likes this

No need to travel anywhere, he can extend 60 days for 30 more at any immigration office, fee Bt 1,900.

He wishes to visit beautiful Laos.
2 people like this

Portland Honorary Consulate still has on its website for applicants applying by mail:

You must be physically in the United States at the time of application.

which when I noted that on a previous METV topic prompted the query: Well how can they tell?

How can they tell? Probably a funny looking stamp would be their first clue.

Have a feeling Canadians are exempted from this rule, if you read between the lines of this statement from Portland:

"Canadian residents: Do not send Canadian currency money orders - all payments must be in US Dollars."

The METV is expensive. I do 4 Months a year holiday in Thailand almost every year. Before, I just bought a double entry tourist visa for $90 (This is Sydney Consulate). Now they want $225 for the same period of time and want me to buy a METV. Yet with a METV I still need to leave the country every 60 days.

So what I will do now is just buy a SETV for $45, go and do my visa run as usual in the neighbouring country and buy a new SETV visa there for another $45 to $60 (price varies depending where).

So basically it is $90 versus $225 if I stick to buying the SETV's. The METV is not a good deal unless you are coming and going regularily over the 6 Month period and from what I have been reading, some countries are requiring a lot extra requirements to get it too.

2 people like this

ID: 92   Posted (edited)

Portland Honorary Consulate still has on its website for applicants applying by mail:

You must be physically in the United States at the time of application.

which when I noted that on a previous METV topic prompted the query: Well how can they tell?

How can they tell? Probably a funny looking stamp would be their first clue.

Have a feeling Canadians are exempted from this rule, if you read between the lines of this statement from Portland:

"Canadian residents: Do not send Canadian currency money orders - all payments must be in US Dollars."

That could be referring to Canadian citizens who are now resident in the USA i.e. Canadian snowbirds from Quebec who are now resident in their spiffy Airstream trailers while spending the winter in Florida.

BTW to the OZ above, he would save money on visa fees but have to spend an overnight in a neighboring country to get his 2nd visa (instead of just doing a U-urn at a border crossing) and would thuus chew up a good bit of the visa savings not counting wear-&-tear on the body and mind.

Edited by JLCrab

That could be referring to Canadian citizens who are now resident in the USA i.e. Canadian snowbirds from Quebec who are now resident in their spiffy Airstream trailers while spending the winter in Florida.

Since it specifically says "Canadian residents," I doubt it's refering to snowbirds. Besides, getting a Canadian dollar money order in Florida is probably not possible.

Anyway, Portland has for years been the most consumer friendly consulate in the US. And, if I'm right, in North America. Canadians would be wise to contact Mary Wheeler (phone or email) in Portland for confirming information. She -- at least as of a couple of years ago -- was completely accessible. Yeah, maybe Portland will have to change 7000 baht to 7000 dollars. Still, other requirements, like a certified bank copy, 6 month track record, employment confirmation, plane ticket, hotel res, whatever is not required. So, relatively simple.

And, if you're over 50, Portland will issue a Non Imm O, multi entry, for investigating retirement if you provide proof of your financials (at least they did). Also, note the condo ownership avenue for a Non Imm O. Obviously, for the same amount of money as an METV ($200), which is only good for 6 months, getting a one-year multi entry Non Imm O visa would be superior. Of course, you'll need to be in North America to apply.

ID: 94   Posted (edited)

So you're saying that, although they say specifically on their website that you must be physically in USA when you mail in you're application. that means that, if you mail it in when you are physically in Canada, please don't send us any of the funny Canadian money. OK

Edited by JLCrab

If one does not have proof of employment in own country, does that mean she can't apply for METV?

Almost definitely unless she is a student, retiree or she has a source of regular income. It is too early to know what each embassy/consulate will accept.

A Thaivisa poster called the UK embassy and was told G7 countries will likely not enforce all the requirements on the list https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/867234-metv-im-confused/page-9#entry10038379

Would make sense as it was technically a requirement to show 20k Baht every time one applied for a double entry tourist visa, but that was relaxed for mail applications back home http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

From my readings the METV was designed primarily for persons in the region who want to make multiple (as in many or more than 3) short term trips to Thailand over the six-month validity period and not designed for someone to stay in Thailand continuously for the 6 month validity period exiting only to activate a new 60-day entry period.

Another posted called the Germany embassy and was told these METVs can be issued for as long as needed, as long as you meet the requirements. Suggesting any length of stay, and back to back use, are totally fine. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868729-metv-visa-vientiane-laos-its-official/page-40#entry10075217

Correct - Talked to them on the phone. As long you can show them proof of funds you are fine at the Thai Embassy in Berlin. For financial proof you can show any investments in stocks, CD's etc. METV applicants that own a condo can also show proof of where they are staying by bringing the Tabian Baan (Yellow) book with them when they apply. When I asked them after the trip is completed if I can re-apply for another 6 month METV they said yes.

2 people like this

From my readings the METV was designed primarily for persons in the region who want to make multiple (as in many or more than 3) short term trips to Thailand over the six-month validity period and not designed for someone to stay in Thailand continuously for the 6 month validity period exiting only to activate a new 60-day entry period.

But who are these people & why would they bother to get a Visa if they're just "Popping" to Thailand?

I can only comment from my time living in Singapore but there is no way that I (or anybody else living there) would go through the hassle of getting a visa to visit Thailand.

You just pop over, get a Visa Exempt, have a nice holiday, go home & go back again whenever you feel like it... Did this 6-8 times a year (once, 4 times in 1 month) for 6 years & immigration never batted an eyelid.

So I'm still not sure who the METV is targeted at...

- It can't be Retirees "Snow birds" as the have no proof of employment (though I expect this to be loosened & people on pensions will be able to qualify)

- Can't be Gap Year, Back/Flash packers - as, again, typically either no proof of employment or only visiting for a short enough period to make METV irrelevant (how many of these spend more than 30, never mind 60 or 90, days in Thailand without visiting a neighboring country)?

- Can't be Genuine tourists from neighboring countries as they won't visit for long enough to make it worthwhile.

- Can't be for People who want to live in Thailand under the pretext of being a tourist as they will just find another way or overstay.

ID: 97   Posted (edited)

So you're saying that, although they say specifically on their website that you must be physically in USA when you mail in you're application. that means that, if you mail it in when you are physically in Canada, please don't send us any of the funny Canadian money. OK

Yes, they probably added that "must be present physically" restriction subsequent to the Canadian-money rule, due to receiving a lot of passports sent through family members from overseas applicants, and residents of other countries. Clearly, they served Canadians who were "physically in Canada" prior, or would not need this language about the currency of money-orders provided. They are a small "honorary" consulate, and likely wish to limit their applicant-load - no "unspoken rule" or some such about mailing in passports from overseas.

There is nothing unusual or illegal about mailing a US Passport to get a visa - apparently not Canadian ones either. Under US rules, one can even apply for a 2nd passport to facilitate mailing it to consulates when overseas, when the delay time in getting a single passport returned would restrict crossing borders to continue one's itenerary. If you only have one passport, make sure your permission to stay in whatever country exceeds the time it will take to get your passport returned to you. I made sure I had plenty of time when I recently renewed my passport via my embassy here; I was without my passport for weeks.

Note that if you look at the DC website, the main consulates (Chicago, LA, DC, NewYork) are listed has having a "jurisdiction" - with the states whose permanent-residents they serve shown for each: http://thaiembdc.org/visas/ . The honorary consulates, such as Portland and Honolulu, are not listed. DC does not have any such "must be physically present" language, thankfully - saving Americans long, useless plane-trips. They have the opportunity to vet the documents and make their call, regardless of where the applicant "physically is" at the time. If they say "no visa," the applicant doesn't get the visa, and Thailand is satisfied.

As is clear from how Tourist Visas and the METV work, they want those on many types of visas to Leave Thailand every 90 days (with extensions) maximum - though they have chosen to make No Rule preventing an immediate return, or to limit how many days/year a person can stay in Thailand on Tourist Visas. But one cannot go to Thai Immigration and purchase a visa, one needs to leave Thailand to apply for a new one - METV included. Some authority in Bangkok would have no reason to care if an applicant was in Laos or Paris when approved or denied - just so long as they are not in Thailand, when applying, and were properly vetted (for the METV: through a consulate in their home country).

Edited by JackThompson

ID: 98   Posted (edited)

If circumstances were such that I would choose to use a METV or even O-A visa instead of the extension of stay based upon retirement, I would do it while I was physically in the USA. I would either use the Washington DC Embassy (as I would be in Florida) or the Miami or possibly Portland honorary consulates. The only time I seriously considered the alternative issue was around 2011 when the Yankee dollar had dropped precipitously. However I always want to be aware of my options even if I would not utilize them today or "it doesn't apply to you".

If someone wants to mail off their passport to their home country or any other country while sitting in a third country without their passport (unless one has a second passport) then have at. Send it to your mother if that's what you want to do. Good luck and happy trails.

Edited by JLCrab
1 person likes this

Some posts are staring to take this topic off topic. Topic is not about who is a real tourist or not. If you want to discuss that post a topic on the general forum or the pub.

Just a reminder. And add digital nomads to it.

I have removed several posts already. No notice will be posted when they are removed from now on.

Again a reminder.

1 person likes this

Yes, they probably added that "must be present physically" restriction subsequent to the Canadian-money rule, due to receiving a lot of passports sent through family members from overseas applicants, and residents of other countries. Clearly, they served Canadians who were "physically in Canada" prior, or would not need this language about the currency of money-orders provided. They are a small "honorary" consulate, and likely wish to limit their applicant-load - no "unspoken rule" or some such about mailing in passports from overseas.

There is nothing unusual or illegal about mailing a US Passport to get a visa - apparently not Canadian ones either. Under US rules, one can even apply for a 2nd passport to facilitate mailing it to consulates when overseas, when the delay time in getting a single passport returned would restrict crossing borders to continue one's itenerary. If you only have one passport, make sure your permission to stay in whatever country exceeds the time it will take to get your passport returned to you. I made sure I had plenty of time when I recently renewed my passport via my embassy here; I was without my passport for weeks.

Note that if you look at the DC website, the main consulates (Chicago, LA, DC, NewYork) are listed has having a "jurisdiction" - with the states whose permanent-residents they serve shown for each: http://thaiembdc.org/visas/ . The honorary consulates, such as Portland and Honolulu, are not listed. DC does not have any such "must be physically present" language, thankfully - saving Americans long, useless plane-trips. They have the opportunity to vet the documents and make their call, regardless of where the applicant "physically is" at the time. If they say "no visa," the applicant doesn't get the visa, and Thailand is satisfied.

As is clear from how Tourist Visas and the METV work, they want those on many types of visas to Leave Thailand every 90 days (with extensions) maximum - though they have chosen to make No Rule preventing an immediate return, or to limit how many days/year a person can stay in Thailand on Tourist Visas. But one cannot go to Thai Immigration and purchase a visa, one needs to leave Thailand to apply for a new one - METV included. Some authority in Bangkok would have no reason to care if an applicant was in Laos or Paris when approved or denied - just so long as they are not in Thailand, when applying, and were properly vetted (for the METV: through a consulate in their home country).

You are right that some countries allow you to have two passports. I have two valid British passports and the second one was issued for the reason of applying for visas while needing to travel. However, they are not issued to "facilitate mailing it to consulates when overseas". You are still expected to apply for the visa at the local embassy/consulate.

The embassies and consulates that don't specify the fact that you need to be resident in the country when applying by post don't do so because it's assumed. If someone is in Cambodia and wants a Thai visa they go to the local embassy/consulate. If the visa they want isn't available and can only be obtained from their home country it is because they want the applicant to be in their home country to apply. The non 'O-A' and METV being two examples.