Thailand Forum
ubonjoe

The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

BritTim    4,049

Hello Visa experts,

Does anybody have any experience with the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur issuing METV? I don't have permanent residency in Malaysia, but am French, so this should be alright I guess.

Thank you!

The METV is only issued in your home country, or a country where you have residence. You will not get an METV in KL. In fact, KL is one of the most awkward locations in the region even to get an SETV. They frequently make totally unreasonable documentation requests. That said, their policy on METV is the same as everywhere else in the region.

sunnyjim5    1,282

Hello Visa experts,

Does anybody have any experience with the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur issuing METV? I don't have permanent residency in Malaysia, but am French, so this should be alright I guess.

Thank you!

Hello !

How many more times are you going to ask this question ?

You will not get an METV other than from a Thai Embassy/Consulate in your own country .

• Like 1

jacksam    1,343

Hello Visa experts,

Thank you!

I think you will find because you are FRENCH you can pretty much obtain METV anywhere in the world. Maybe Google it first for definitive advice for French folk

elgenon    473

I think I am understanding the METV better. Please check my conclusions.

I will be traveling to Thailand 17 June to 11 August (59 days) and again 2 Nov to 19 Jan (78 days)

If I apply for the METV on June 1st, the last time I can enter the country is 27 Nov. correct?

I like to keep my options open as far as traveling to other countries. Because I can get a 30 day visa exception if I leave and return (which would mean I could leave after Dec 21) the only time i couldn't leave the country would be Nov 27-Dec 21. Correct?

If I want to be able to leave the country and return during that period I would need an SETV for the trip in June then an METV for the November trip. Correct?

Thanks for your help in understanding this.

juanzo    1

For those who have applied for the METV from the USA:

1. Is an airline ticket copy a clear necessity (I'm suspecting it is)?

2. Do i have to supply proof of where I am staying upon arrival? What If I'm staying at a friend's house?

Thanks!!

BritTim    4,049

I will be traveling to Thailand 17 June to 11 August (59 days) and again 2 Nov to 19 Jan (78 days)

If I apply for the METV on June 1st, the last time I can enter the country is 27 Nov. correct?

I like to keep my options open as far as traveling to other countries. Because I can get a 30 day visa exception if I leave and return (which would mean I could leave after Dec 21) the only time i couldn't leave the country would be Nov 27-Dec 21. Correct?

If I want to be able to leave the country and return during that period I would need an SETV for the trip in June then an METV for the November trip. Correct?

If the METV is issued June 1st, I believe the last day you can enter Thailand using it will be November 30th (it is valid for 6 months, not 180 days).

If leaving Thailand, planning to return after November 30th, you would have the following options:

• if your current entry has a permission to stay that expires well after your planned return date (example: your permission to stay is until 23rd January, you are leaving on 4th December and returning 7th December) you could get a reentry stamp costing 1,000 baht that will keep your permission intact;
  • depending on your nationality, you may be able to enter Thailand visa exempt for a stay of 30 days, and the visa exempt entry can be extended (so your assumption that there is a period when visa exempt entries would be impracticable is not actually correct).

If already in Thailand, and wanting to extend your visit past the current permission to stay (example: your permission to stay expires January 2nd and you want to stay longer) you can apply for an extension of stay, giving an additional 30 days (in our example until February 1st) on payment of 1,900 baht.

• Like 1

elviajero    3,268

Assuming your nationality is USA and not LA you would qualify for 30 day visa exempt entry.

As already informed the METV will be valid for 6 months from the date it is issued not 180 days. If issued on June 1st the last day you could enter would be November 31st.

If you want to leave and return to Thailand during the last 60 day entry you could buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht). But that's only worth while if you have more than 30 days left of the original 60 on the day you return. If 30 or less you would be better off using visa exempt entry.

Visa exempt entries can be extended by 30 days so can cover a 60 day stay.

Edited by elviajero

elgenon    473

Yes, LA in USA. Thanks

A bit disheartening that you know more then the employee of the Consulate.

juanzo    1

Please read my post that relates what I was told by the LA Consulate.

Thank you for the response - I checked your profile to try and find the post, but was unable to find anything regarding the LA consulate along with need for flight ticket copy or copy of proof of residency after arrival... Was there another place i should look?

Thank you!

elgenon    473

Sorry, I meant my post in this thread.

Look at post #1166, your post is #1301

• Like 1

bkk6060    634

I assume the rules on this are the as any Visa. Which is why I am asking because I do not understand the rules. Sorry if I am stupid.

My METV expires June 22. I then want to transition to the one year retirement Visa ( I am 61). I already have the 800,000 in a Thai account. Assuming I re-enter Thailand June 21 and then have 60 days left on my METV, when would I apply in Thailand for the Non Imm. O-A Retirement Visa? I plan on doing this in Jomtien.

Thanks

elviajero    3,268

Yes, LA in USA. Thanks

A bit disheartening that you know more then the employee of the Consulate.

It's not unusual for consulate staff worldwide to misinform. Their website is wrong too which is also not unusual.

I notice I wrote Nov 31st, it should be Nov 30th. No one is perfect :)

Edited by elviajero

bkk6060    634

Please read my post that relates what I was told by the LA Consulate.

Thank you for the response - I checked your profile to try and find the post, but was unable to find anything regarding the LA consulate along with need for flight ticket copy or copy of proof of residency after arrival... Was there another place i should look?

Thank you!

I did mine at LA.

They required flight booking showing multiple entries.

They also required hotel booking confirmations for my stays.

For the flights they wanted confirmed tickets, not just a printed itinerary.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1