ubonjoe

The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

2,197 posts in this topic

No problem doing it that way. Many people have opted for a new entry instead of the extensions.
Dependent upon the crossing used and the distance you need to travel it is more cost effective to get a new 60 day entry.

I just did 6 months (60+60+60), downside is if using a border run visa service from say Pattaya that's a full day used up. If going to Jomtien its just a couple of hours / half day max. Plus with border run you bring in the risk of a mini van accident.

ID: 2177   Posted (edited)

@ubonjoe - thanks for info.  I am wondering if Thai embassy staffs would care too much about employer?  If someone is in military or working for a federal agency, would it be any issues? I am not too worried but want to make sure.   I assume they wouldn't put too much weight on employment verification, compare to proof of $$$ in bank + return ticket, etc?  

Also, do anyone put thai references on the METV form? I know couple of Thais but not well enough to put their names on contact?

Edited by wash747
add one question

12 hours ago, wash747 said:

@ubonjoe - thanks for info.  I am wondering if Thai embassy staffs would care too much about employer?  If someone is in military or working for a federal agency, would it be any issues? I am not too worried but want to make sure.   I assume they wouldn't put too much weight on employment verification, compare to proof of $$$ in bank + return ticket, etc?  

They are not bothered about who you work for. They just want evidence that you have a job and a reason to go home after your visit.

With a METV, is it considered "ok" to just do a quick 1-2 day border run when needed, or is that frowned upon the same way it is with TR visas and exemptions?

Are there any problems or other "side effects" with coming and going halfway through a stay? For example, let's say I arrive to Thailand on day 1, then on day 20 I decide to take 2 day trip to KL. That gives me 2 new months, right? And no limit on how many times I can come and go, and how long I have to stay out each time? So on day 43 I can do another weekend trip to Vietnam, etc, etc, with no negative impact on my immigration "trustworthiness" when coming back to Thailand?

Also, is there any difference coming and going by land vs. by air, from the perspective of immigration I mean?

20 minutes ago, BadCash said:

With a METV, is it considered "ok" to just do a quick 1-2 day border run when needed, or is that frowned upon the same way it is with TR visas and exemptions?

Are there any problems or other "side effects" with coming and going halfway through a stay? For example, let's say I arrive to Thailand on day 1, then on day 20 I decide to take 2 day trip to KL. That gives me 2 new months, right? And no limit on how many times I can come and go, and how long I have to stay out each time? So on day 43 I can do another weekend trip to Vietnam, etc, etc, with no negative impact on my immigration "trustworthiness" when coming back to Thailand?

Also, is there any difference coming and going by land vs. by air, from the perspective of immigration I mean?

In the short term, I do not think the pattern of entries is of any significance. If you spend long periods in Thailand over a period of years, I think immigration primarily looks at days inside the country and outside, return trips to home country, your nationality and your age. The last two influence their assessment of the likelihood you are working illegally. If you are from a rich Western country, and returning home a couple of times a year, I would bet you could otherwise indefinitely enter and exit Thailand at will on an METV with no issues at all.

25 minutes ago, BadCash said:

For the last 10 months or so I have been doing exactly what you plan to do and (so far) never had any issues when returning from a short hop across the border. So even with 2 back-to-back METVs nobody at Immigration has ever started to ask questions etc. This is of course no guarantee that this won´t happen next time I come back to TH (at the end of this month).

8 hours ago, BadCash said:

The is what the METV was created for. You can do as many entries as you want to during the 6 months the visa is valid.

Last week I received my 3th METV, and I'm back in Thailand again. I think one of the first, or the first in this topic, at least when I read back.

Just to let you guys know.

This time I will try to stay 8 months, so 2 months extra on the last 'enter before' date. Still a little bit scared that it will not work, and so I don't dare to buy a flight ticket back before that time.

Extra info: Till that time I do a Bangkok - Kuala Lumpur 1 day trip. So fly and 3/4 hours later I fly back, and this every 60 days. Till so far I never had problems doing this.

Edited by Rudyv
added 'Extra info'

1 minute ago, Rudyv said:

Last week I received my 3th METV, and I'm back in Thailand again. I think one of the first, or the first in this topic, at least when I read back.

Just to let you guys know.

This time I will try to stay 8 months, so 2 months extra on the last 'enter before' date. Still a little bit scared that it will not work, and so I don't dare to buy a flight ticket back before that time.

Good to know - with the here METV you have had are you straight back to backing them i.e. Flying home getting new one and coming straight back or are you staying in your home country for a period of time before re applying ?

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Bigdogfarang said:

Good to know - with the here METV you have had are you straight back to backing them i.e. Flying home getting new one and coming straight back or are you staying in your home country for a period of time before re applying ?

I always stay 3 weeks.

1 person likes this

Would a printout of an online savings account be good enough to satisfy the bank statement requirement at the embassy or consulates in the UK?

Would a printout of an online savings account be good enough to satisfy the bank statement requirement at the embassy or consulates in the UK?

Yes, it was in the Glasgow consulate. I think they realise most people receive online statements these days. Print a proper statement pdf if you can it will have a better format for printing.

2 people like this

A printed PDF with a account overview / statement is enaugh. As long it shows the amount and also your name, so they can see the account belongs to you.

Has anyone got a metv in the hk embassy. I have emailed them requesting more info, but they are giving the usual silent reply.
I am a British citizen with a hk work permit. So don't see why should be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

31 minutes ago, br0wnd0g23 said:

Has anyone got a metv in the hk embassy. I have emailed them requesting more info, but they are giving the usual silent reply.
I am a British citizen with a hk work permit. So don't see why should be an issue.

I am sure they do if you are a legal resident of Hong Kong.

Tryed to confirm on their website but it is down at this time. http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4049

1 person likes this

would anyone happen to know when i apply for a METV in person and pick it up in person, does it take 5 days or is it less? i'll be heading to D.C. soon and i need to start planning

Yep hk embassy not working. Seems some embassies need 6 months banks statements. And some a recent statement with an amount shown..
Will have to wait till they reply or sort out there issues.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Tryed to confirm on their website but it is down at this time. http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4049

Here is a useful trick to be aware of that works pretty well in most cases like this. You can use the Internet Archive (http://archive.org. In the case above, this will lead you to https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20161017120310/http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4049. While that is a six-month old version of the site, it may be sufficient to find the information of interest.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Here is a useful trick to be aware of that works pretty well in most cases like this. You can use the Internet Archive (http://archive.org. In the case above, this will lead you to https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20161017120310/http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4049. While that is a six-month old version of the site, it may be sufficient to find the information of interest.

The problem is that you have to select your nationality from the drop down menu. Tried it and it did not work.

I recently obtained an METV from the Liverpool Consulate.

I fulfilled the 7 criteria for the METV listed on their website. I had the impression the checking was a little more cursory than 12 months' previous when the METV was still fairly new and the issuing of METV's by consulates may have been subject to greater London Embassy oversight and sample auditing.

On a related note, when I flew out of Suwannaphum to the UK, I was subjected to an odd series of questions e.g. "Why you go walking Mukdahan?" I think this meant, "Why did you do an in-and-out at Mukdahan?" But the questions were all wrong as I did not do an in and out at Mukdahan. The officer seemed quite het up about something. Another one, "Why you no visa?" But I always have a visa when I enter Thailand and I never use visa exemptions. So the whole incident was confusing and disturbing. The catalyst for the questions seemed to be the number of tourist visas in my passport, 8. It would have been easier if she had spoken Thai.

There was a short delay on the way back in, 4 weeks later, again at Suwannaphum. "What you do Thailand?" This question seemed to have been prompted by the number of Thai stickers in the passport, now 9.

Time for a new passport, I think.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

On a related note, when I flew out of Suwannaphum to the UK, I was subjected to an odd series of questions e.g. "Why you go walking Mukdahan?" I think this meant, "Why did you do an in-and-out at Mukdahan?" But the questions were all wrong as I did not do an in and out at Mukdahan. The officer seemed quite het up about something. Another one, "Why you no visa?" But I always have a visa when I enter Thailand and I never use visa exemptions. So the whole incident was confusing and disturbing. The catalyst for the questions seemed to be the number of tourist visas in my passport, 8. It would have been easier if she had spoken Thai.

There was a short delay on the way back in, 4 weeks later, again at Suwannaphum. "What you do Thailand?" This question seemed to have been prompted by the number of Thai stickers in the passport, now 9.

Time for a new passport, I think.

I would say, "Definitely" time for a new passport.  Note: They will still be able to see your entire history if they choose to dig for it in their computer-system, but it won't be staring them in the face as pages of TR stickers.  I have found my entries/exits are much quicker after obtaining a new passport, simply because they seem to check every used-page and stamp in it.

Also: Be sure to have 20K Baht worth of currency or travelers checks on your person when entering.  You can be legally denied entry for not having this.

Edited by JackThompson
1 person likes this