Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
willyumiii

Medical insurance for Farang in Thailand

Please recommend the best Medical insurance you know of in Thailand..

I know that insurance companies advertise here on Thaivisa, but..

I know advertisers tell you what they think you wnt to hear.

I would like to hear from real expats with real experience with medical insurance in Thailand.

* I am retired, age 62, in good health ,with a decent income...but not wealthy.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by willyumiii

There is no silver bullet I'm afraid. The international insurers Cigna / Bupa Intl / etc etc will offer the best coverage but at a steep premium price. The local Thai insurers Bupa / AIA / etc will offer good hospital coverage and easy use cards but pre-existing conditions AND anything related to pre-existing condition will potentially be excluded from coverage. What that means is high blood pressure even when treated, excludes you from coverage for stroke, heart disease, kidney disease if they can be linked somehow....

The best advice is to get a hospitalization plan you can afford, out patient coverage generally not cost effective, live as healthy as you can and make sure you get high limits as much as you can afford. No easy answers.

BTW...all insurers will tell you what you want to hear not just ones that advertise here.

Local insurers also can and often do cut off at a certain age, while international covers are for life.

Best to contact a broker and get a few quotes to compare.

Make sure to get one withOUT cut off age.

Premiums are determined by the age, then there is the pre existing conditions, which may result in some loading.

If you are a non smoker, and within insurance category of fit, some offer really attractive packages, not too sure what happens when lodging claims though

• Like 1

It's medical insurance: Buy it before you need.

What you'll also find with many Thai medical insurers is if you joint before 60 then the person has a right to renew for life. But if jointing between 60 to 65, then they will just allow renewal up to age 70.

My experience with Bupa has been that they reject everything initially. Only after I have called and had a "chat" with them have they then relented and done the coverage for which I have paid - each and every time.

• Like 2

Hi Willy,

We have real farangs here, with real experience. Everything you need to know, explained. Just contact us, it costs nothing and you may be pleasantly surprised!

www.pacificcrosshealth.com

+662 401 9189

Also looking for health insurance recommendation. Any further recommendations or examples of premium example costs would be appreciated

Jump to Bupa and axa website, you can get a quote from there in 5minutes.

Their "Best" insurance for TH is around 50K / year if you take outpatient medication,but you can have a basic plan around 20 - 30 K.

Aetna and Cigna, just received a quote from them, top international insurance is insane, around 3,000 EUR

By far the best in Thailand is Bupa, best service prompt payment never a hassle and cheaper then most. I have several friends who have it and have never had a problem. Its also good in other countries except USA

You can get a quote right from the internet and if you sign up and go one year with out incident they rebate 10% back to you.

• Like 1

My experience with Bupa has been that they reject everything initially. Only after I have called and had a "chat" with them have they then relented and done the coverage for which I have paid - each and every time.

where are you located?

Jump to Bupa and axa website, you can get a quote from there in 5minutes.

Their "Best" insurance for TH is around 50K / year if you take outpatient medication,but you can have a basic plan around 20 - 30 K.

Aetna and Cigna, just received a quote from them, top international insurance is insane, around 3,000 EUR

I am 62, and my wife is 38. 3000 euros sounds cheap to me for good coverage. My yearly costs for us in the US is $13,000, plus $1000 each for the deductible. Is it possible to get a high deductible, say B$1 million, with coverage kicking in after that? I will also maintain Medicare A & B in the US, as well.

MSH International has great rates and coverage, but I have never had a claim so I can't comment on that.

I am now 62 years old.

I've had excellent service and fair prices with BUPA for in patient 2 million baht Platinum policy coverage for the past 8 years. This week I received a 10% rebate in a check from BUPA. I am able to pay the annual BUPA health insurance on line via a bank transfer or with any Visa or Master card. I have experienced excellent customer service for my insurance needs from Mr. Eric Dohlon the dual citizen bi-lingual insurance broker based in Phuket.