Thailand Forum
Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

Tywais    12,087

Weather satellite shows a low front passing through Udon Thani at 12 noon today and headed this way.

Of course that doesnt mean it will make it but better than the clear images of the last few weeks

From TMD for Chiang Mai.

post-566-0-19807300-1461134529_thumb.jpg

elephant45    138

In Singapore with 60 rating on aqi and can see ten miles. What BS are they churning out on these chiang mai readings? Its as bad a Beijing in the winter.

Ape1983    11

I just returned from cycling Doi Inthanon above 800m the air was okay. I dropped down into Mae Chaem and was really surprised at the amount of burning, it was everywhere with current temperatures and smoke it was as close as I have felt to hell.

Im not one for negativity, early morning rides up Doi Suthep/Doi Pui are okay with nice air at the very top. I've been here since December and definitely wouldn't want to go through another burning season even though I'm informed it has been better this year than others.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 2

Konini    1,969

Dave - Nah Trang is nice but still very Russian. Growing expat communities there of Aussies & Europeans means more and more available in shops - there's even a couple of supermarkets there now, although being a former French colony there was always a good selection of food. Consider Da Lat, up in the hills so it's gets a nice cool season, and also a bit further up the coast from Nah Trang is Da Nang. Fairly big town, but just outside there are beaches just as good and clean seeming as Nah Trang and last time we were there, maybe 4 years ago, it looked a bit like Canal road with all the new housing estates but especially condo's going up. Literally hundreds. No too expensive to rent as far as I know. You can do it easily by flying to KL then direct flight to Da Nang. Definitely worth a look in my opinion.

And if you do decide to try it out longer term after a quick visit, I have a very good friend (Viet) who used to work in real estate. She no longer has any interests to be conflicted, but lots of contacts and would ensure that no friend of ours would get ripped off by being charged farang rents or shown a building in a great seeming but smoke belching or otherwise nasty building that wouldn't be apparent immediately to the uninitiated. Good thing is that the government is insisting on good English being taught in schools and uni's - all government employees now are expected to take lessons, and it's not pigeon English, it's good English.

I think Burma is still a few years away if you aren't very, very rich, and even if you are very rich - like the Laos capital NGO's have driven rents in any decent accommodation up to insane levels and internet access is very expensive and not at all reliable because the infrastructure just isn't there yet. It will come, but it's still a little while away. But if you want to go and live in a simple bungalow right on the beach and eat local foods and fruits, it could be the perfect place for you, the prices for that kind of accommodation hasn't gone crazy yet, but electricity supply would probably be iffy and internet could be non-existent. Not the life for me, but there are a lot of people who would like nothing more. Of course because of colonial times, like Malaysia, most older Burmese will speak excellent if rather quaint, old fashioned, English.

blueyeshk    156

Just exit the airport door ,it hit me like a wall. It covered all my senses like I stand besides a bond fire - unfortunately had to return before heading abroad again to change some clothes. After a while u get used to it but the first moment was horrible. Out of here as soon as I got my things arranged . This can't be good.

vivid    143

In Singapore with 60 rating on aqi and can see ten miles. What BS are they churning out on these chiang mai readings? Its as bad a Beijing in the winter.

Elephant45, if you are referring to aqicn website, Singapore's air quality is displayed with PM2.5 data.

36t Chiang Mai on aqmthai.com has PM2.5 data as well. But aqicn is displaying PM10 data.

The AQI readings would shoot up quite a lot if you were to use PM2.5.

Based on PM2.5 value of 111ug/m3, the 1-hr AQI is AQI 186.

Based on PM10 185 ug/m3, the 1-hr AQI is 116

Big difference. But do not confuse the 1-hr AQI value vs 24-hr AQI mean. 24-hr mean is the one to look at if you want to have a health advisory advice (however, do note that i still find that advice to be very "lax" for quite a number of folks).

You can do this by selecting the last 24-hrs duration on aqmthai.com and check the average ug/m3.

You can change ug/m3 concentration -> AQI here.

https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=resources.conc_aqi_calc

Just select the 24-hr PM10 or 24-hr PM2.5 from the pull down menu. Doesn't matter, for 1-hr you just want to have an index value (AQI) for a better sense of perspective/understanding.

This is because people understand PSI, AQI, API which is an index value much more than ug/m3 concentration level (they'd ask, what the heck is that huh? wai2.gif )

jAIjpg4.jpg

Edited by vivid

FMFK86    0

On which site can I see the graph as posted above? It seems much more congruent with the reports in here than the aqicn number. And thank you everyone for updating and informing in here, I got my things ready to return to chiang mai but delayed it because of the bad air. I will hop on a plane as soon as its better.

Tywais    12,087

On which site can I see the graph as posted above? It seems much more congruent with the reports in here than the aqicn number. And thank you everyone for updating and informing in here, I got my things ready to return to chiang mai but delayed it because of the bad air. I will hop on a plane as soon as its better.

http://aqmthai.com/public_report.php Use 36t for the location.

post-566-0-51637200-1461225376_thumb.jpg

elephant45    138

I don't know all the correct terminology IS, but what I am saying is that when you look up on AQI there is a little box that says a number, and often those numbers are the same as many places. But in reality there is no difference between what that little box says here in Singapore as to what that little box says in CM. The point is "Lots of BS and a horrible filthy toilet to live in is what CM has become for 5 months a year.

• Like 2

chiang mai    12,592

I don't know all the correct terminology IS, but what I am saying is that when you look up on AQI there is a little box that says a number, and often those numbers are the same as many places. But in reality there is no difference between what that little box says here in Singapore as to what that little box says in CM. The point is "Lots of BS and a horrible filthy toilet to live in is what CM has become for 5 months a year.

Yes, so you've said, repeatedly!

Perhaps poster vivid will be so kind as to post a one year picture in order to stop the whining and to dispel the 5 month nonsense?

• Like 1

keo    40

Perhaps poster vivid will be so kind as to post a one year picture in order to stop the whining and to dispel the 5 month nonsense?

I read a CMU research paper online that concluded that PM2.5 in Chiang Mai was at dangerous levels from November until April.

I can't for the life of me find it again.

chiang mai    12,592

I read a CMU research paper online that concluded that PM2.5 in Chiang Mai was at dangerous levels from November until April.

I can't for the life of me find it again.

Is that Chiang Mai Muang or Chiang Mai Province?

Be aware also that measurement of PM2.5 in northern Thailand is a relatively new phenomena or at least the release of numbers certainly is. Previously it was taken that PM 2.5 was a presumed percentage of PM10, a measurement technique used by many countries and fairly reliable in the absence of specific PM 2.5 measurements - I believe Canada was one of the first to start measuring PM2.5 and that was not that many years ago, less than five I believe. The relevance of all of that is that any paper that concludes as you suggest needs to be based on actual measurements over time and that type of accurate reading is very young here.

blueyeshk    156

It's beautiful to see a red sun in front of a yellow sky if you just switch your brain off. And the north is definitely inhabitable from February-may no need pics or data for that fact.

Edited by blueyeshk
  • Like 2

chiang mai    12,592

It's beautiful to see a red sun in front of a yellow sky if you just switch your brain off. And the north is definitely inhabitable from February-may no need pics or data for that fact.

Emotional imprecise drivel which doesn't aid the search for facts and solutions.

vivid    143

Only have PM2.5 data for 2015, for 36t.

Annual PM2.5 = 34ug/m3

6yjSYVr.jpg

• Like 2