Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

844 posts in this topic

Can anyone recommend a humidifier/air purifier on a budget - and suggest where I can get one near CMU? First burning season in CM, and I'm feeling it bad.

1 person likes this

On 4/2/2017 at 1:21 AM, Jaymk said:

Can anyone recommend a humidifier/air purifier on a budget - and suggest where I can get one near CMU? First burning season in CM, and I'm feeling it bad.

Last weekend was really good, so if you're feeling something, please visit a doctor; it's very likely unrelated, or an allergy, etc. 

24 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Last weekend was really good, so if you're feeling something, please visit a doctor; it's very likely unrelated, or an allergy, etc. 

Its not only the immediate effects we need to be worried about, as most of the damage comes from the cumulative effects of breathing the bad northern air

2 people like this

I just wanted to come here and commiserate with the rest of you all. This beautiful place is really marked most of the year by bad air quality.

I just wanted to come here and commiserate with the rest of you all. This beautiful place is really marked most of the year by bad air quality.

According to who or what?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

According to the air quality data available online I'm not aware there has been even one single day of healthy air for the last 5 months.

1 person likes this

The winds would keep the majority of it away from you folks (and even Chiang Rai) though...i guess.  :) 

1 person likes this

Glad to see you back, Khun Vivid; your air-quality reports, and the discussions they triggered have been read with interest. 

cheers, ~o:37;

On 4/12/2017 at 6:17 PM, orang37 said:

Glad to see you back, Khun Vivid; your air-quality reports, and the discussions they triggered have been read with interest. 

cheers, ~o:37;

Hi there, it's past songkran now.  I think it's safe to say that 2017 is not a super duper bad year (vs years like 2015 etc).  :) 

The air is quite fresh here now after the rain showers.   And temperature has dropped too, all good. 

Despite the rain there are still points in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai where the air is a bit below international standards for clean air. Certainly a good trend overall, though expected like any other year. And remember all it takes is a few days of dry weather, then the fire bugs will plunder the air quality once again.

aq2.jpg

4 hours ago, canopy said:

Despite the rain there are still points in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai where the air is a bit below international standards for clean air. Certainly a good trend overall, though expected like any other year. And remember all it takes is a few days of dry weather, then the fire bugs will plunder the air quality once again.

aq2.jpg

I assume the higher reading in CM city area are purely from motor traffic which is a constant all year. The last few rainy days have been a pleasant break from the hot season. Visibility was excellent yesterday afternoon hiking down Doi Suthep. All the far mountains and beyond could be seen clearly.

The rains stopped for a few days now and the fires are starting up again and the air quality is deteriorating. In the space of just one day the board has gone from green to yellow. This worsening trend will continue as dry days accumulate and could be back in the red zone very soon.

.aq3.png.88305c3fd04d30264703f302c65dd409.png

Saw rice fields ablaze driving home from work on the canal road today. 

It's 8.10pm now and the smell of smoke hangs heavy in the air. I'm in Nam Phrae.

Satre was on the money when he said hell is other people.  

ID: 841   Posted (edited)

I am not sure if this has been tackled yet*, but the map and info provided by this organization, while very accurate at first glance, might not be: http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/nan/municipality-office/. I am referring to the daily ratings one reads for a specific area and can be seen on the map, at a glance. If one refers to the rating of Mae Sai, one should be able to jog all day. However, if one looks very carefully, the rating (43) is actually based on PM10 which is 13 to 61 today. Chiang Mai has a 151 rating today and the PM10 rating is 61 to 93. The PM2.5 varied from 137 to 165.

For many years, I looked at these maps and was lulled into believing that all ratings were standardized. It does not seem to be so and I think this is a problem that needs to be acknowledged and fixed, as communities (especially of people whose working of the languages offered on the site is nonexistent) could misinterpret the ratings. They could advise their children to run a marathon when it would be unsafe to do so.

5698638585266176.png.330156ba3edc0a194e73cb5825d583a6.png6370952700231680.png.ea7d3a30b4a4082a0c1c530096c9bd60.png

* I cannot possibly read 850 posts.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist
1 person likes this

You are absolutely right. This was discussed in this thread some time ago and there was a story in the news section about it. To recap, the reporting of air quality is misleading for two reasons: first the dangerous PM 2.5 is omitted as you point out and second the Thai government inexplicably changed the air quality scale such that air twice as bad as air that would not pass international standards is classified as good. There has been no explanation from the government for either of these discrepancies.

A of now the air quality has dropped into the orange range.

aq4.jpg

1 hour ago, canopy said:

the Thai government inexplicably changed the air quality scale such that air twice as bad as air that would not pass international standards is classified as good.

Thanks.

That's interesting and troubling. I would like to know more about this.