Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

846 posts in this topic

"We gotta get out of this place..."

At this precise moment, how far would you need to go south from CM to get away from the smoke? Would, say Sukothai be far enough? Would it help to go to somewhere higher up, a hill resort etc?

Thanks

This smoke is terrible, how anyone voluntarily lives through it is beyond me. I am looking for a way out.

Are you being serious or making an ironic statement? the air isn't terrible, it's barely noticeable at the moment. Another few weeks until it really gets going. If you think it's bad now, I think you really need to find that way out over the next week or so.

This. ^^^

How funny.

Perhaps NormadStrategy (or someone in his family) has a certain allergy from the smoke, hence his sensitivity is several times higher than the average pax.

Eg during the 2015 indonesian haze, some individuals start dripping snort at as low as PM2.5 50 ug/m3 in as fast as an hour or 2.

As for me, i start to have mild headaches as low as 50ug/m3 PM2.5 and 6 hours.

It seems like I booked my flights out too late this year, was banking on end Feb... It's started so much earlier than other years...

ID: 86   Posted (edited)

Pai mountains on fire drove today Mae Hong son the whole way was covered by smoke and street site fires- saw even now bicycle drivers doing obviously the loop wanted to stop and ask them what they think they are doing but than again not my business- flights booked out of here in two weeks a bit too late but soon enough to escape the hell of March

Edited by blueyeshk

I believe we can safely, or unsafely, say that the smoke season has arrived in force today. Driving from Mae Hia on the Canal road to CMU the mountains were completely hidden in the haze and my eyes were burning. PM10 now exceeding safe limits as determined by Thai standards.

post-566-0-00480600-1455158718_thumb.jpg

post-566-0-11480800-1455158964_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Didn't there use to be a monitoring station at Phuping Palace? Can't find it on aqmthai.

The maps suggest smoke gets worse in central Thailand and the Cambodian fires look much worse than here

Don't be fooled by the PM10 AQI of just 101 right now,

Doi suthep is completely gone from view and the PM2.5 AQI is 182!!

2 people like this

Didn't there use to be a monitoring station at Phuping Palace? Can't find it on aqmthai.

Yes, but it was a mobile station parked there that apparently had either been removed or no longer reports publicly. My best recollection is that there were (maybe still are) two such vehicles in the province which might be used for special internal purposes. The last concerted reporting I can recall was in in 2007-2008.

2 people like this

Don't be fooled by the PM10 AQI of just 101 right now,

Doi suthep is completely gone from view and the PM2.5 AQI is 182!!

Where are you finding PM2.5 data? All I can find is PM10. All I have to go by is my experience with Singapore's smoky season, but I can tell by sight alone that the AQI is much higher than 101. I live very close to Doi Suthep by the convention center, and can barely see its silhouette from my balcony!

1 person likes this

Can anyone tell me what's the highest PM2.5 in ug/m3? For 35 and 36t. Im in indonesia and the aqmthai page cant load properly.

Where are you finding PM2.5 data? All I can find is PM10. All I have to go by is my experience with Singapore's smoky season, but I can tell by sight alone that the AQI is much higher than 101. I live very close to Doi Suthep by the convention center, and can barely see its silhouette from my balcony!

PM2.5 concentration data is available for station 35t or 36t (Chiangmai).

Generally, Singapore haze would look worse than the haze in CM at the same concentration, due to significantly higher relative humidity levels.

The RH vauses the smoke particles to expand or something like that, bringing a further loss in visibility. Was reported in the SG newspapers.

On a clear day I can see Doi Saket hills from my condo located on lower slopes of Doi Suthep.

Today visibility only half way across city.

My cough, first sign for me, has started.

I have book all of March away, seaside down Prachuap.

john

There used to be four stations in Chiangmai, including Phuping palace, now there's only two. They are shown as Chang Phueak and Si Phum in the Air4Thai iOS app. One of then is Yupparaj Wittayalai School shown on the

http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chiangmai/yupparaj-wittayalai-school/ web page but I don't know which. Both Air4Thai sites are in the "Unhealthy" zone right now :-{

ID: 99   Posted (edited)

Wow...station 24t Saraburi got a max of 554 m3/hr 1hr PM10 peak on 9th 2100h. Over these 3.5 days, the averaged PM10 concentration was 207 ug/m3. The PM2.5 is usually much higher.

That is gonna be painful, and it's not even mid Feb.

Edited by vivid
1 person likes this

ID: 100   Posted (edited)

Don't worry, it will all clear up next week as burning is banned after Feb 16th.

Surely the Thai authorities wont allow blatant illegal activities once the ban comes into effect.

Edited by ogb
1 person likes this