Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

882 posts in this topic

ID: 861   Posted

What about 6 months near the sea (Hua Hin or Pattaya) and 6 months in CM ? Works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 862   Posted

On 4/30/2017 at 5:33 PM, canopy said:

I find it interesting that agricultural burning was present that long ago.

Haven't they been doing Slash n Burn agriculture from the Stone Age?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 863   Posted

12 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Haven't they been doing Slash n Burn agriculture from the Stone Age?

Yes but the present day slash and burn takes place on industrial scale with multiple crops and more agricultural land area than ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 864   Posted

On 5/5/2017 at 10:03 PM, SoilSpoil said:

Yes but the present day slash and burn takes place on industrial scale with multiple crops and more agricultural land area than ever. 

Yeah, well, and with fifteen million times as many people. :saai:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the great rains, good air quality now.

 

 

aq1.png

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just two days after all that rain,  the PM 2.5 is back over 100 and the AQI unhealthy.

 

I cant think burning is to blame, everything is either to green or wet to burn!

 

I think it has to be cars and industry causing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we are on 21 May and PM 2.5 is back to unhealthy levels. 

 

I started tracking PM 2.5 levels back on 16 January and to date there have been 93 days  and nearly 2100 hours where the PM 2.5 levels are above what the WHO recommends as safe.  This stuff is so dangerous to your health and it lasts so long, I've now come to the conclusion the only remedy is to move out of the area and head south, to Hua Hin or somewhere in that area. 

 

Trying to stick it out is like playing Russian roulette with your health but in this case you may up with a slow death rather than a fast one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 869   Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, tyznd said:

Here we are on 21 May and PM 2.5 is back to unhealthy levels. 

 

I started tracking PM 2.5 levels back on 16 January and to date there have been 93 days  and nearly 2100 hours where the PM 2.5 levels are above what the WHO recommends as safe.  This stuff is so dangerous to your health and it lasts so long, I've now come to the conclusion the only remedy is to move out of the area and head south, to Hua Hin or somewhere in that area. 

 

Trying to stick it out is like playing Russian roulette with your health but in this case you may up with a slow death rather than a fast one.

 

I appreciate the realistic assessment but very discouraging and disappointing.

 

Will this be true of other northern areas as well such as Loei, Pai, etc.?

Those are 2 other cities I was interested in.

 

Edited by JimmyJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

honestly, this pollution is not caused by slash and burn, or any other agricultural technique.

I honestly doubt that there is any health implication, as a person with asthma in last 3 years I just fee much better compared to Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LolaS said:

honestly, this pollution is not caused by slash and burn, or any other agricultural technique.

I honestly doubt that there is any health implication, as a person with asthma in last 3 years I just fee much better compared to Europe.

You can't be serious If you doubt there is any health implication and you've got asthma.  Really no way to reply to someone who makes a statement like that as the evidence of what high levels of PM 2.5 can do to the body are easy to obtain. 

 

If you're not considered about your health stay put.  If you are I strongly suggest you move to a less polluted area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

 

I appreciate the realistic assessment but very discouraging and disappointing.

 

Will this be true of other northern areas as well such as Loei, Pai, etc.?

Those are 2 other cities I was interested in.

 

Here is some other areas with high PM 2.5 http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2017/05/18/chiang-mai-worst-small-particle-pollution-thailand-greenpeace/   but I'm sure there are more such as Chiang Rai that wasn't listed.  I would think anywhere nearby to Chiang Mai and up in the mountains is going to have problems with pollution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

 

Will this be true of other northern areas as well such as Loei, Pai, etc.?

 

Afraid so. Maybe the levels won't be as bad, but the air is sub-standard much of the year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 years I am here, I dont use pump anymore, I dont use powder Turbuhaler as I did in Europe, only monteklukast, but that is nothing unusual since it is also good prevention of contraception side-effects.

PM2.5 are tiny particles in the air that reduce visibility and cause the air to appear hazy when levels are elevated. I m sorry but in 3 years in chiang mai I never saw hazy air

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/05/2017 at 8:56 AM, LolaS said:

3 years I am here, I dont use pump anymore, I dont use powder Turbuhaler as I did in Europe, only monteklukast, but that is nothing unusual since it is also good prevention of contraception side-effects.

PM2.5 are tiny particles in the air that reduce visibility and cause the air to appear hazy when levels are elevated. I m sorry but in 3 years in chiang mai I never saw hazy air

 

I assume you are being serious when you say you have never seen hazy air in CM. When I look at the house across the street 10m away,  even on bad day it looks clear. The trees in the garden all look green and healthy. If I go upstairs and look at Chedi Luang temple about 1km away it is totally greyed out and faded. Central Festival will disappear on a bad day. Doi Suthep mountain will disappear but may faintly reappear by the end of the day. After heavy rain like we have had in the last couple of weeks the mountain stands out so much in the early morning light it looks like you could reach out and touch it. If I look towards Doi Saket , Mae On I can see the mountains clearly and mountains beyond the mountains maybe 60km away. At night street lights , brake lights far into the distance look clear and vibrant. 

        If you haven't noticed anything like this in 3 years I can only imagine you have a restricted view where you live, you go about the city looking down all the time, you drive looking only at the road immediately in front of your vehicle. You never go out. You only go out at night. You are possibly the only resident of CM local or foreign who has never seen hazy air. If you are not trolling this should be prompt you to get your eyesight checked. Maybe you have some kind of colour blindness? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, LolaS said:

3 years I am here, I dont use pump anymore, I dont use powder Turbuhaler as I did in Europe, only monteklukast, but that is nothing unusual since it is also good prevention of contraception side-effects.

PM2.5 are tiny particles in the air that reduce visibility and cause the air to appear hazy when levels are elevated. I m sorry but in 3 years in chiang mai I never saw hazy air

 

Not only do you have asthma but you must also be blind.  Second thought, even a blind person would be able to detect the amount of haze and air pollution there is in Chiang Mai. 

 

Stay here a little longer and they will probably be putting on your grave marker "In Chiang Mai I never saw hazy air"  RIP

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, ne or two days when there is burning from hills, but that is all. any other example is an exaggeration.

Yes I have asthma but by living in Chiang Mai condition got better and I never used inhalator (pump) or any strong medication, I only used montek because I m on contraceptions and being 35, maybe you are all older person and this can cause some problems if you have underlying conditions. I dont know.

my familly lives in Germany, Poland, and Russia, coutry that have longer winter and more smoke due to the burning of coal and wood, trust me that air is far far far more worst.

I live around robinson, and I work around CMU; 

I usually walk or take a red car or now uber, and I never NEVer had problem with air. of course there are few days smoky, but still !! nothing. i dont deny that there are few days, but comapring to those places that I been , visited or lived, chiang mai is heaven. Of course i dont deny that older ppl should take care of themselves and move somewhere appropriate

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Chiang Mai is heaven"?! Please keep that a secret, what are you thinking??? :laugh:

Terrible smog, followed by deadly floods and roasting hot temperatures! That's the mantra. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

again, deadly floods. Where?

I raised 2 children, one born here, and all of as are coping quite well with health and we are not dead yet. I will let you know if some issue appears I will let you know. but again I never experienced anything serious. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

BANGKOK 27 May 2017 11:27
Sponsors