Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

If they are burning there, they will be burning in CM... The burning has started, that is the point.

I cycle around Chiang Mai mainly on dirt roads where i can, 80 to 120 km, all rural and i have not seen any fields ablaze yet. Last week i saw rice harvesters on caterpillar tracks churning up the thick wet mud. I hiked on Doi suthep mountain a few days ago. Water is pouring off. Raging streams, water running down the trail, small waterfalls where none were before etc. I dont go out every day looking for burning fields but no other tvf memebers local to CM have posted about fields ablaze. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2017 at 6:16 PM, XGM said:

Having moved from Bangkok to Chiang Mai a few months ago, I am interested in comparing the two. Right now I see 77 in CM and 132 in Bkk, I guess this is the situation most of the year,

First of all, it's a pretty sad, yet common state of affairs to compare the air in the countryside to the very biggest city. I don't think Bangkok air should ever be a benchmark for air quality in the north. Country air should be pristine, not polluted and people should accept no less. Today it says CM=109 BKK=91 so it is flip flopping already. And we haven't even scratched the surface of the smokey season yet. Keep in mind people living in Bangkok are typically shielded from the outside air. They live in air conditioned homes, go to air conditioned restaurants, use air conditioned transport, go to air conditioned shopping centers, schools, hospitals, and so on. The air outside is not much of a bother and this makes a big difference. In the north it's different. Much more likely for the population to be in open air 24 hours a day exposed to the full pollution all the time.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, canopy said:

First of all, it's a pretty sad, yet common state of affairs to compare the air in the countryside to the very biggest city. I don't think Bangkok air should ever be a benchmark for air quality in the north. Country air should be pristine, not polluted and people should accept no less. Today it says CM=109 BKK=91 so it is flip flopping already. And we haven't even scratched the surface of the smokey season yet. Keep in mind people living in Bangkok are typically shielded from the outside air. They live in air conditioned homes, go to air conditioned restaurants, use air conditioned transport, go to air conditioned shopping centers, schools, hospitals, and so on. The air outside is not much of a bother and this makes a big difference. In the north it's different. Much more likely for the population to be in open air 24 hours a day exposed to the full pollution all the time.

It is perhaps sad however this is the comparison I'm making, as Bangkok and Chiang Mai are both living options for foreigners, even though they are obviously very different in many aspects.

I would love to have an air quality of a Swiss mountain-top however this unfortunately isn't an option. I could live in Phuket perhaps but I would need to be indoors all year round given the heat and humidity.

Having lived in BKK for quite some time, I find your statement that people are being shielded from the outside a bit exaggerated. You do have a point that people in Bangkok stay indoors more. This is a result of the bad conditions outside, mostly the climate I'd say has a role in that but the air quality as well.

I used to take motorcycle-taxi twice a day to the BTS and from the BTS to my office. The pollution on the road is nasty, even without getting stuck behind a bus that would fail any emission tests. If you take a tuktuk you breath the exhaust smoke directly. Taxis are better in sense that but many of them stink of human gases instead. When I walked from my office to the MRT I held my breath not to inhale the terrible sewage smells. Many outdoor food and nightlife outlets. The markets are, as you know, outside. Yes, shopping malls in Bangkok are air conditioned, so are Central Festival, Maya, Promenada etc. In Chiang Mai I commute by car, which is obviously air-conditioned. I actually spend less time commuting exposed to the air than I did in Bangkok.

Edited by XGM

9 hours ago, canthai55 said:

And where - pray tell - does the air inside your car come from ? 555

Hmmm, probably from the same place the "protected air conditioned transport air" in Bangkok comes from? :-) Or perhaps those "protected from the outside" people in Bangkok have oxygen canisters attached to their cars, taxis, train, and they wear spacesuits when they ride their motorcycles.

Edited by XGM

I live in Land & Houses Maejo. The large rice field to the west of the moobaan’s boundary was set afire yesterday afternoon

And today we had to close all windows at 11am as the burning started up again but this time the wind carried the smoke directly towards and into our neighborhood. We live about 3/4 miles from the field. I just vacuumed up the ashes from the area around the house and will have to vacuum the pool tomorrow. 

22 hours ago, XGM said:

Hmmm, probably from the same place the "protected air conditioned transport air" in Bangkok comes from?

There is substantially improved air quality in an air conditioned vehicle.  Anyone who has ever been in traffic in a tuk tuk in Bangkok will know this without needing to look it up.

1 hour ago, canopy said:

There is substantially improved air quality in an air conditioned vehicle.  Anyone who has ever been in traffic in a tuk tuk in Bangkok will know this without needing to look it up.

This is clear, I replied to the poster above me who perhaps found this point amusing.

I see you do acknowledge though some Bangkokians (or maybe most) aren't that well protected from the outside. Regarding schools, the schools I know (in both Bkk and Chiang Mai) have equally air conditioned classrooms (with the exception of Panyaden) as well as open-air sports facilities. So I found the talk about "air conditioned schools"  also strange. Or are you under the impression football fields, swimming pools etc are all indoor in Bangkok?

Edited by XGM

12 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

I wonder if the reason for the smoke/pollution of recent days was not caused by firecrackers and those lanterns landing in fields and such and starting a fire.

You're pretty good at wondering.