tomato

Bungsamran to close

I don't know if this has been posted but I just heard that BSR is closing and the fish being moved to a new place in Chachensao.30000 Mekhongs will take some moving!!!!

Don't know when this is happening but I for one willmiss the place.This was the first place I fished in Thailand and I just found it incredible.

Anyone who hasn't been should go if they get the chance before it closes.

Hi all,

I was there on Monday and asked about this.

The receptionist and a guide we took knew they were opening a new pond in Chaochengsao, but did not know anything about the current place closing, at least in the near future

Apparently the new place will be an up market version, probably aimed at high-paying tourists.

Not sure how reliable the information is, but that was straight from the horses mouth (my son is bi-lingual, so no translation or understanding issues!).

• Like 2

Quick (and rather incomplete) update on BSR after a trip last week.

They're still open, though hurting for business if the numbers on a Sunday were any indication.

7 Seas tackle shop has moved offsite to a nearby road. (Soi 66 or Soi 68 (?) where BSR is on Soi 42) The smaller tackle shop was open, but I've never been inside.

Fishing was great as expected, and they're still tossing out some good grub if you get hungry. We had a great time.

I didn't ask about the alleged new location- my bad.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I was there yesterday, and saw the 7 seas shop had moved also.

Not sure what that is about at all, it could be Bunsamran is closing or just a disagreement about lease renewals etc.

In my opinion for them to move is probably a pointer to the whole place closing, as its pretty much a captive audience with parking also. It would have had to have been quite a disagreement over the lease for them to move otherwise.

Fishing was good as always, but it was very quiet customer wise, probably the fewest number of people I've ever seen there. Of course it was Tuesday in the rainy season.

We also saw a BIG (well over 1m in length) snake in the water swimming underneath out bungalow, which was a first and quite a distraction! Based on the size and my checking the colouring when I got home, it looked like it may have been a python. If so it was probably a baby python. Glad we didn't see mummy or daddy.

Steve

Spoke to the guy that seemed to be running the place today.  He said the current location will be closing around April of 2017 and they'll be moving to the new location.

If you want to fish the waters where you've seen Robson Greene, Jeremy Wade and many others fish on TV, tick tock.

We've got about 6 more months to fish the venue before it changes.  Whether the change is good or bad remains to be seen.  

BTW, the pier was packed today with some kind of tackle company sponsored event.  Still, the majority of the bungalows were empty, leading me to believe today was a flash in the pan.  Lots and lots of fish caught all around us as usual.

Thanks for that Impulse. I'm going to pay the place another visit before it closes (I'll need a month in the gym first though)

Will be sad to see it close, hope the replacement one has the same laid back style. It may be quicker and easier getting to the one in Chach than it sometimes is fighting though the traffic on Soi Navimin. i will certainly miss my all night fishing and beer sessions there in the villas.

So the original Bungsamran has closed,does anybody know what happened to the huge Siamese Carp and Arapaima that were resident there? I guess they may have been moved to the new site but how do you safely remove,transport and release fish weighing 100 kg or more? Just curious.

• Like 1

Though I guess the move was inevitable as land prices go up, looks like the new place is quite a hike further from town.  About twice as far (60 vs 30 km) for me.  Still better than shutting down completely.

13°49'7.64"N  100°56'23.93"E 

http://www.bungsamran.com

http://www.newbungsamran.com/  (If you guys are tuned in, please fix your GPS directions- you can't have 81 minutes and 87.9 seconds)

Edited by impulse

Has anybody been to the new place yet?

If so any chance you could do a report?

Looking at the map its a real nightmare for me to get to, unfortunately.

On 19/05/2017 at 11:46 AM, impulse said:

Though I guess the move was inevitable as land prices go up, looks like the new place is quite a hike further from town.  About twice as far (60 vs 30 km) for me.  Still better than shutting down completely.

13°49'7.64"N  100°56'23.93"E 

http://www.bungsamran.com

http://www.newbungsamran.com/  (If you guys are tuned in, please fix your GPS directions- you can't have 81 minutes and 87.9 seconds)

Yes I couldn't work out why I couldn't find the place on Google Earth then I realises that the had converted the co-ordinates into a decimal number. Converted it back to minutes and found a very large construction site which looked very like the shape of the new lake on the new web site.

14 hours ago, Trevor1809 said:

Yes I couldn't work out why I couldn't find the place on Google Earth then I realises that the had converted the co-ordinates into a decimal number. Converted it back to minutes and found a very large construction site which looked very like the shape of the new lake on the new web site.

I checked the coordinates I posted on Google Earth, and matched a big yellow building nearby with one that shows up in some of the website photos.

Being cynical by nature, I wonder whether there's a dark motive since the guys posting the crappy coordinates make money taking people fishing...  To be clear, I'd hire a service like theirs if I was in town on holiday and wanted a seamless, once in a lifetime fishing experience.  I once showed up at another venue on a Friday, only to find it closed that day.  Thanks goodness it was only 30 minute drive back home...  I'd have cried if it was a holiday dream trip.

Edit:  One question I have is whether they still offer the discount to residents holding work permits?  That brought the price per rod down from 2000 to 400-500 baht.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2017 at 11:46 AM, impulse said:

I checked the coordinates I posted on Google Earth, and matched a big yellow building nearby with one that shows up in some of the website photos.

Being cynical by nature, I wonder whether there's a dark motive since the guys posting the crappy coordinates make money taking people fishing...  To be clear, I'd hire a service like theirs if I was in town on holiday and wanted a seamless, once in a lifetime fishing experience.  I once showed up at another venue on a Friday, only to find it closed that day.  Thanks goodness it was only 30 minute drive back home...  I'd have cried if it was a holiday dream trip.

Edit:  One question I have is whether they still offer the discount to residents holding work permits?  That brought the price per rod down from 2000 to 400-500 baht.

Coordinates here are correct http://www.pattayafishing.net/new-bungsamran/

I went with a friend to the new Bungsamran a few weeks ago, caught several small Mekong cat fish 15-30kg and some very small Siamese carp, maybe 3kg.

I paid B400 by showing them a Thai driving licence.

• Like 1

Just now, DickDastardly said:

I paid B400 by showing them a Thai driving licence.

Great to see that they're sticking with that policy...