Jump to content
BANGKOK 22 October 2018 01:27
tomato

Bungsamran to close

Recommended Posts

On 14-9-2017 at 8:04 PM, impulse said:

Finally made it out to the new BSR, and was favorably impressed by the facilities.  A lot like the old one, but no dock running up the middle of the lake.  Fishing was still great, and the catfish seemed bigger. The guide told me the owner had stocked some bigger fish up to 200 kg.  I don't know if that's a fish story...

 

Also good on fishing, they pulled out more big Siamese carp in one day than I had seen in dozens of trips to the old BSR, up to about 50-60 kg that I saw.

 

Bad news:  Though they still charge 400 baht for locals and resident foreigners (I used my DL), they upped the fee for tourists to 4,000 baht.  A reasonable price compared to "back home" but this isn't back home.  Still, $130 for the fishing day of a lifetime is pretty cheap in real world terms.  They also offer annual memberships that seem to be all in (instead of previously, where the membership just gave you a discount as I recall)  15,000 baht is the annual fee I recall, but I don't know the terms and conditions, so don't hold me to it.

 

It is further out of town than the old place, but not in a crowded neighborhood so the drive actually seemed easier. The folks running the place were pleasant and patient as usual.  The bungalows looked a little nicer than before, but we fished the dock.  Bungalow next time.  Overall, a great day on the water as long as you;'re not looking for a wilderness fishing experience.

 

Thanks for the write up, too bad its now too far from me. I now go to Bungplabug ik Ayuttaya as its closer to me now. Still I would go to BSR had they not moves so far away. (for me that is)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know what size line they use on their reels. Going to get a new shimano l c when I go back to the UK. All the line I buy in Sukhothai is crap. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2018 at 12:07 PM, kelboy said:

Anyone know what size line they use on their reels. Going to get a new shimano l c when I go back to the UK. All the line I buy in Sukhothai is crap. Thanks. 

 

I'd go 60+ on braid and 40+ on monofilament.  But that's specific to BSR.   The BSR guides frown when I pull out my 30# mono reels, but I have never been able to break 30# mono unless there were nicks in it.

 

I'd go no higher than 20# on mono and 30# on braid for Pilot 111 and other lure fishing areas.  And even lighter if they're skittish.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, impulse said:

 

I'd go 60+ on braid and 40+ on monofilament.  But that's specific to BSR.   The BSR guides frown when I pull out my 30# mono reels, but I have never been able to break 30# mono unless there were nicks in it.

 

I'd go no higher than 20# on mono and 30# on braid for Pilot 111 and other lure fishing areas.  And even lighter if they're skittish.

 

 

 

 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, kelboy said:

Thanks 

 

Keep in mind that one of the drivers is that the docks at BSR get crowded and fighting the fish too long keeps those around you from being able to fish.  So the polite thing to do is to overpower the fish and free up the water for others as soon as you can.  I'm not a fan of fishing that way, since I love a good fight on light tackle.  But when in Rome...

 

That's another benefit of renting a bungalow as opposed to fishing off the dock, especially when it's crowded.  You get more latitude in fighting the fish for awhile because you're not blocking out a big chunk of "public" water with a fighting fish.  Still, I like the camaraderie of the dock, especially if I go there alone- which is often the case if I can't find anyone who wants to go with.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Impulse states 60lbs braid and 40+ mono 

 

I was in Bungsamran twice this month both times dissapointing catches. I had bungalow nr 2. Later I spoke with one of the guides that is a friend of mine. He told me the bungalows 15-20 are better (but 2000 bt) and that now you can also fish with bread because lam is not always working.

 

I had a nice day today but would have liked a few more fish (i had 2 gf 0) previous time I had 2 gf had 3. Those are for me the lowest numbers i ever had in BSR.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, robblok said:

I was in Bungsamran twice this month both times dissapointing catches. I had bungalow nr 2. Later I spoke with one of the guides that is a friend of mine. He told me the bungalows 15-20 are better (but 2000 bt) and that now you can also fish with bread because lam is not always working.

 

I had a nice day today but would have liked a few more fish (i had 2 gf 0) previous time I had 2 gf had 3. Those are for me the lowest numbers i ever had in BSR.

 

That's why I usually go against my personal grain and hire a guide for 1000 baht- at least after I've been absent a while.  They figure they'll get a better tip if I catch fish- and they are correct. 

 

In the old BSR, I leaned your same lesson one day because a buddy's company driver is a serious fisherman.  I arrived before them one day and took the bungalow the front desk gave me- not knowing any better.  When he arrived, he went to the front desk, chided them a little for giving me a crappy spot, and moved us over to his preferred location where he put us on a ton of fish that day.  The location they gave me was near a corner, and hemmed in on both sides so I could barely get off a cast.  Lesson learned.

 

BTW, I'm back in BKK for a few weeks and would be interested in meeting up to fish BSR, Pilot 111 or any venue around Bangkok.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, impulse said:

 

That's why I usually go against my personal grain and hire a guide for 1000 baht- at least after I've been absent a while.  They figure they'll get a better tip if I catch fish- and they are correct. 

 

In the old BSR, I leaned your same lesson one day because a buddy's company driver is a serious fisherman.  I arrived before them one day and took the bungalow the front desk gave me- not knowing any better.  When he arrived, he went to the front desk, chided them a little for giving me a crappy spot, and moved us over to his preferred location where he put us on a ton of fish that day.  The location they gave me was near a corner, and hemmed in on both sides so I could barely get off a cast.  Lesson learned.

 

BTW, I'm back in BKK for a few weeks and would be interested in meeting up to fish BSR, Pilot 111 or any venue around Bangkok.

 

 

HI,

 

Its now almost my busy period will have to see how this week goes but maybe Saturday. Will let you know more soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 

thanks for all the great tips, I am having trouble getting 60kg braid if someone can put 

me in the wright direction. Thanks again 

           

               Kelvin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/04/2018 at 4:32 PM, kelboy said:

Hi 

thanks for all the great tips, I am having trouble getting 60kg braid if someone can put 

me in the wright direction. Thanks again 

           

               Kelvin 

Its 60 LBS not 60 KG and 60 lbs should be available.. you could even buy it at bungsamran itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Thursday, April 05, 2018 at 10:03 AM, robblok said:

Its 60 LBS not 60 KG and 60 lbs should be available.. you could even buy it at bungsamran itself.

Thanks again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2017 at 8:04 PM, impulse said:

Finally made it out to the new BSR, and was favorably impressed by the facilities.  A lot like the old one, but no dock running up the middle of the lake.  Fishing was still great, and the catfish seemed bigger. The guide told me the owner had stocked some bigger fish up to 200 kg.  I don't know if that's a fish story...

 

Also good on fishing, they pulled out more big Siamese carp in one day than I had seen in dozens of trips to the old BSR, up to about 50-60 kg that I saw.

 

Bad news:  Though they still charge 400 baht for locals and resident foreigners (I used my DL), they upped the fee for tourists to 4,000 baht.  A reasonable price compared to "back home" but this isn't back home.  Still, $130 for the fishing day of a lifetime is pretty cheap in real world terms.  They also offer annual memberships that seem to be all in (instead of previously, where the membership just gave you a discount as I recall)  15,000 baht is the annual fee I recall, but I don't know the terms and conditions, so don't hold me to it.

 

It is further out of town than the old place, but not in a crowded neighborhood so the drive actually seemed easier. The folks running the place were pleasant and patient as usual.  The bungalows looked a little nicer than before, but we fished the dock.  Bungalow next time.  Overall, a great day on the water as long as you;'re not looking for a wilderness fishing experience.

 

Went out there a few times this year. One thing I love about the Bungalows is that the big fish are near (especially at night) and they feed on the bait that comes off from cleaning the coil feeders (slamming it on the water over and over). Once theyre drawn in and you see them moving through the rick husk cloud, grab another rod with just a straight hook to the line, bait it up tight ball around the hook and throw it in the water around the cloud, and let it drop down naturally. If in 15 seconds of hitting the bottom theres not a hit, softly reel it back in and drop it back into same spot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×