Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Fairfield

Jail and hefty fines await anyone caught drink driving in Pattaya

So this action is happening in Pattaya and Bangkok. Does that mean the rest of Thailand can do what it always has done prior to this new strategy. Will they continue this strategy after the holiday season?

This would be OK if they had a good system of public transport. The lack of metered taxis here is a real pain.

Sure but that still does not excuse drinking and driving.. sure you will get gouged for hiring a baht bus but if you can afford to get drunk you can afford that ride too. You might even take a cheap hotel to sleep it off.

Agreed. But 2 beers in an hour or so puts you over the limit and at risk of going to jail. It's been documented these devices are not 100% accurate here. Impossible to get a baht bus near my house. And very difficult to get them if you are away from Central Pattaya. Try finding any sort of transport near the lake after midnight. Very difficult, and no hotels are right next to many of these establishments.

Again, lack of metered taxis, like in Bangkok, is a real problem.

Sure but then just don't drink if you know you have to drive. It is annoying but that is just how it is. What do you think the prices of taxi's will be in BKK at night during newyear.. metered taxi's will extract sums of money too. So just let your wife drive or someone else that does not drink.

I don't need to be lectured about taxis in Bangkok. Lived there for many years. And am against drunk driving. Are you OK now?thumbsup.gif

Drivers who pass the breathalyzer test but who still appear to be under the influence will also be detained until authorities are satisfied they are sober.

So even if your innocent, they can treat you as if your guilty.

Can't they stick the appropriate hologram in their bomb detector to get an accurate blood alcohol reading?

A loose rule of thumb is 2 pints in the first hour and then a pint an hour after that... however I apply that to be 2 bottles and the 1 per hour after just to be on the safe side, if I'm out watching football (3 beers in a 90 minute match) ... if drinking Chang I'd go with 1 beer every hour as that a strong beer fella

• Like 1

So this action is happening in Pattaya and Bangkok. Does that mean the rest of Thailand can do what it always has done prior to this new strategy. Will they continue this strategy after the holiday season?

They've been doing roadside checks here for some time now. I know many who've been caught. 30k is the new "fine". Pay it and you are on your way. Still drunk.

What they are doing is the right thing. Don't allow the driver back into the car until they sober up.

I've heard this is also happening in Chiang Mai. Can anybody verify that????

• Like 1

Drivers who pass the breathalyzer test but who still appear to be under the influence will also be detained until authorities are satisfied they are sober.

So even if your innocent, they can treat you as if your guilty.

That makes no sense at all, and as rws85 said gives the authorities latitude once again for tea money extorsion.

If someone passes the breathalyzer and is still suspect then test them for substance/drug abuse.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for these checks if they help saving lives and make the roads safer, but if the authorities haven't got defining guidelines, then IMO this excercise will only result in traffic chaos and potentially innocent people being accused and fined.

• Like 2