Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Tywais

Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

So true, so many insist on the hardway.  One neighbor has been here thirty years and always made a day of it.  I finally gave him my old envelope and told him there was really no need to suffer...he finally did it, told me it worked like a charm.  Another guy in his 80s is more the morning warrior type.  I finally convinced him to go at 15:00.  Saw him the other day...."was in and out in five minutes.". 

I've nothing but time being retired and for many years got much enjoyment out of visiting Immigration for the 90 day report. The only unpleasant thing about Thailand is bumping into the farang beefers I'd otherwise managed to leave behind in the states. Then I married a beautiful Thai lady and moved a bit south so switched to the mail in option. I know people who have used the mail in option for 15 years as they live a great distance out. They've never had a problem, nor have I.  I think the really important question ought to be, "Has anyone, ever, had a problem with the mailing in option or with getting the TM47 receipt back in a reasonable period of time? " Well, anybody? 

Edited by cusanus
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, evenstevens said:

,as for the mailing system you are not in control of your own destiny,

Yeh, I never use the Post Office anymore, always hand deliver to protect my destiny.  Also never do business with anyone who uses the post office, the risks are just too grande.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cusanus said:

I've nothing but time being retired and for many years got much enjoyment out of visiting Immigration for the 90 day report. The only unpleasant thing about Thailand is bumping into the farang beefers I'd otherwise managed to leave behind in the states. Then I married a beautiful Thai lady and moved a bit south so switched to the mail in option. I know people who have used the mail in option for 15 years as they live a great distance out. They've never had a problem, nor have I.  I think the really important question ought to be, "Has anyone, ever, had a problem with the mailing in option or with getting the TM47 receipt back in a reasonable period of time? " Well, anybody? 

Yes, I had a problem the only time I tried the mail-in option.  It tracked by the post office to delivery at Immigration.  I didn't get anything back. I went on the last day it could be done to the office (this was years ago) and I was told I had to do the report that day. I ended up standing in line for quite some time in the sun.

I now either use an agent or the online option.  No complaints from me about doing it this way. 

What gets me is the people that use the mail option thinking they are somehow smarter than other people.

Edited by hml367
  • Like 2

Can someone tell me if the 30 day extensions of a visa waivers being turned into 7 days in Chiang Mai is accurate?

Some websites write:

What about the 30-day extension?

The Immigration Office can grant you a 30-day extension on tourist visas, at a cost of 1,900 baht. However, those on the 30-day visa exemption will only get a seven-day extension period.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/new-visa-rules-explained/

In my understanding this only happens if the extension is refused for some reason to give you some time to leave the country.

21 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I dont consider myself smarter than other people because I have been doing 90 day reporting by mail for 17 years without a problem. 

I just have better things to do with my meagre savings than give it a to an agent or trekking  out to Promenada.

You are just basing your opinion on one isolated incident and others are paranoid about using what I have always found to be a very efficient Government department.

We all have choices nothing about feeling superior

Thank you Sparkies, well said. Let me ask, if you don't mind, how many days before the date on the last TM47 stub do you mail your form? I've never been too clear on the deadline. I give it at least 15 days, but maybe I'm being too cautious. If I lived closer I'd probably go in person as I used to do, but it's a long day from here. . . 

Cusanus,

You asked if anyone had a problem with mail-in - I answered that I did.  I then commented on how I do the reports now.  Of course my comment was on 1 instance - mine!

There are some people that make comments about why everyone does not mail-in.  Obviously not all the people that mail-in are that way.

2 minutes ago, hml367 said:

Cusanus,

You asked if anyone had a problem with mail-in - I answered that I did.  I then commented on how I do the reports now.  Of course my comment was on 1 instance - mine!

There are some people that make comments about why everyone does not mail-in.  Obviously not all the people that mail-in are that way.

Yeah, I saw your answer, which Sparkie addressed adequately. I don't know any of those people,. I enjoyed going in person for years and some of them have been disappointed since I've gone mail, but it's a long trip these last several years and indeed the PO service is reliable. . 

22 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Yeah, I saw your answer, which Sparkie addressed adequately. I don't know any of those people,. I enjoyed going in person for years and some of them have been disappointed since I've gone mail, but it's a long trip these last several years and indeed the PO service is reliable. . 

As mentioned, I check the online option with enough time remaining.  If it is working it is certainly the easiest, and the last times I have used it the fastest.  If it doesn't work I find an alternative.  I just don't need the headache I HAD again.  

5 hours ago, cusanus said:

Thank you Sparkies, well said. Let me ask, if you don't mind, how many days before the date on the last TM47 stub do you mail your form? I've never been too clear on the deadline. I give it at least 15 days, but maybe I'm being too cautious. If I lived closer I'd probably go in person as I used to do, but it's a long day from here. . . 

I note on my yearly calendar and then send it between 15 to 12 days remaining.Its 99% back within 4 working days.5 mins to the PO office for me as against a 30 min drive to Promenada.

I've done both EMS and Registered there and back, max 50 baht.

Theres some misconception, among some, that you send you passport, well you dont EVER as the pinned topic above explains

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I note on my yearly calendar and then send it between 15 to 12 days remaining.Its 99% back within 4 working days.5 mins to the PO office for me as against a 30 min drive to Promenada.

I've done both EMS and Registered there and back, max 50 baht.

Theres some misconception, among some, that you send you passport, well you dont EVER as the pinned topic above explains

THANKS! Sorry, Sparkles, not Sparkies. That's been my experience. I do believe you have to send a COPY of your passport, or the relevant pages. I keep an updated PDF copy by scanning the return receipt or other changes and replacing those pages in the PDF, then just print when needed, also keep that on Google Drive in case I'm in a bind without a passport. Some don't have a PC but a copy service works. I also print out a preprinted (copy) of the filled in TM47 and just sign it before sending. Online could be better yes, but most of the time it hasn't been working it seems for Chiang Mai.  EMS seems best, no problems. If I were in Chiang Mai, I'd go in person as I enjoy going in to Promenada and seeing familiar faces. 

Edited by cusanus

2 hours ago, cusanus said:

THANKS! Sorry, Sparkles, not Sparkies. That's been my experience. I do believe you have to send a COPY of your passport, or the relevant pages. I keep an updated PDF copy by scanning the return receipt or other changes and replacing those pages in the PDF, then just print when needed, also keep that on Google Drive in case I'm in a bind without a passport. Some don't have a PC but a copy service works. I also print out a preprinted (copy) of the filled in TM47 and just sign it before sending. Online could be better yes, but most of the time it hasn't been working it seems for Chiang Mai.  EMS seems best, no problems. If I were in Chiang Mai, I'd go in person as I enjoy going in to Promenada and seeing familiar faces. 

Registered out 3 baht stamp back also works fine. Can confirm receipt of registered package online and immigration just give the sae/ receipt of notification to the postman that does the collection at Promenada.

Today did my retirement extension at Promenada, I arrives at 7:00AM there were 16 people ahead of me. Numbers were handed out at 9:00 and I was told to report back at 1 :00PM. It appeared they do about 20 to 22 per day. I saw a man

with # 21. Returned at 1:00 PM and they called number 11. Average time was about 20 minutes per extension. The officer was very efficient and personable, my wife and I chatted and joked with him while he processed the paperwork.

we were out the door by 2:30. Overall a pain free process as long as all paperwork is ready as per the handout. Multiple announcements on the PA as to what is needed and people on hand to answer questions.

The only other long line in the morning was for 90 day reporting about 35 people by 9:00. At 1:00 I saw nobody at the 90 day desk so maybe best to plan an afternoon visit for 90 day reporting. Also if you need a Residence certificate from the second floor they are handing out appointments a week from now for the free certificate with a 2 week wait after that, but offered the next day service downstairs in room #7 next to the copy/photo shop for 500Baht. So plan accordingly.

• Like 2

MY wife and I did our 90 day report at 3.15 painless experience  less than 5 mins spent more time chatting to the charming captain, very nice witty lady with perfect english a credit to CM Immigration service.

25 minutes ago, Aguda said:

I arrives at 7:00AM there were 16 people ahead of me. Numbers were handed out at 9:00 and I was told to report back at 1 :00PM. It appeared they do about 20 to 22 per day. I saw a man

with # 21. Returned at 1:00 PM and they called number 11. Average time was about 20 minutes per extension. The officer was very efficient and personable, my wife and I chatted and joked with him while he processed the paperwork.

we were out the door by 2:30. Overall a pain free process as long as all paperwork is ready as per the handout.

So you spent Seven and a half hours at Prom, plus travelling time to and from Prom,  to do what I do in about One Hour via a quick visit to the local agent and a drive out to prom for a 15 min visit, and you call your trip a 'pain free' process. (if you have the "paperwork is ready as per the handout" which changes at the whim of the Prom/Imm officials.)

As long as you "non agent" people paint Prom and Imm as all Rosie and Spice nothing will change.  My time is my money or vice versa!

Either complain or join the real world .