gp6755

Importing A Pet Into Thailand

297 posts in this topic

I'd also like to add...

We ran into a problem that most do. When we got to Thailand (usually late in the evening) we had to stay in a hotel for a few weeks while looking for somewhere to live. A great American guy named Patrick Bundock runs a kennel-less kennel at his home right outside of Bangkok. Rates are reasonable and he met us at the airport to pick up our dog when we got here. Nice guy and he is a dog trainer as well. He works with Soi Dog Rescue too. I use him often, as I go out of town once every one or two months. If you'd like his contact info, please PM me. Also, if you go to Chiang Mai, I've got a person up there who offer the same service. Again, if you want the phone numbers...PM me and I'll let you know.

[/quote

Does PM me mean post me? hope so - this is my first attempt at posting. I would like the contact details for these dog carers please. I am planning to make the 'big' move to Chiang Mai in the new year.

Thanks

PM means private message. If you look at the bottom of a posters name and avatar you will see a PM button, click this and you can privately send a message to a user without it being posted in the open forum. Welcome to the forum :o

In a few weeks time I will again be travelling with her Majesty the Cat, feline plenipotentiary. I had the routine for getting the necessary paperwork to bring her on the plane down pat but now the new airport has opened...can anyone direct me to the Animal Quarantine office (I mean for taking cat out of Thailand, not into...the office where you get the export certificate) Thanks

It might be easier taking to Laos and getting them to fly over the fence.

I will put a caveat...... Pre Bird flu. :o

I just brought two parrots into Suvarnabumi

Hi Piston,

Good news..... :D

where from and what species?

Any probs with the Agri dept?

In the hold or cabin with you?

Costa freight?

Any quarantine?

Cheers :D

NYC.

African Grey & Senegal

Agri- had to bribe the ######ers 5000 baht. Forget to get Cites on this end.

As baggage in the animal hold.

240 dollars each.

500 vet including tests for bird flu and a few others.

Took 4 months.

No quarantine

OK, be patient with me, I have started a Pinned topic about importing pets into Thailand and will attempt to bring in all the other info from other threads into this one. Wish me luck :o If I miss any important threads please be sure to let me know!

First time I came to Thailand in 1997, I brought a cat with me from Singapore.

Did not have any particular problems at the customes but still had to go to a small office at Donmuang airport to present the vaccination papers.

Overall, easy.

The cat died last year, biten by a rat and I do not make up the story... :o

OK, sorry if this ended up confused, it merges threads chronologically. But, it seems most of the important info has been added. Hope its not too confusing!

Taking Delta Airlines (China Airlines Operated) to Bangkok in late-January 2007. Will transit through Taipei, Taiwan with a stopover of 3.5 hours. The airlines mentioned that I need a transit permit from Taiwan before I can board the plane with my pets. They will be travelling in the cabin on the floor under the forward seat. Has anyone experienced this procedure?

They are a Blue Front Amazon parrot and a Monk parakeet.

Taking Delta Airlines (China Airlines Operated) to Bangkok in late-January 2007. Will transit through Taipei, Taiwan with a stopover of 3.5 hours. The airlines mentioned that I need a transit permit from Taiwan before I can board the plane with my pets. They will be travelling in the cabin on the floor under the forward seat. Has anyone experienced this procedure?

They are a Blue Front Amazon parrot and a Monk parakeet.

I just did a quick search and found this PDF document from the Taiwanese govt which states you must get one at least one week prior to landing and here is a link to the application document.

Sounds quite strict, a permit just for a transiting animal!

Thank you, sbk. :o

I will attempt to get transit permission thru Taiwan for my fine feathered children. Hope this is not an insurmountable hurdle, but I will press on regardless. :D

Hi all, new member here. I have a question for importing a dog here from Japan to Thailand. I'm curious if Thailand is actually strict on bringing a crated dog here... like you have to get all of your forms right and stuff. She already has all of her shots and the health certificate but not any of the paperwork done here. I was planning to get her this Saturday but due to the paperwork it may be 2 weeks :o . Should I go ahead and ship her this Saturday? By the way my vet put it he said I should go for it..

Hello,

I would like very much to get Patrick's contact number. I have pets that need to be taken care off when I travel.

Thanks

mdonatt@yahoo.com

I'd also like to add...

We ran into a problem that most do. When we got to Thailand (usually late in the evening) we had to stay in a hotel for a few weeks while looking for somewhere to live. A great American guy named Patrick Bundock runs a kennel-less kennel at his home right outside of Bangkok. Rates are reasonable and he met us at the airport to pick up our dog when we got here. Nice guy and he is a dog trainer as well. He works with Soi Dog Rescue too. I use him often, as I go out of town once every one or two months. If you'd like his contact info, please PM me. Also, if you go to Chiang Mai, I've got a person up there who offer the same service. Again, if you want the phone numbers...PM me and I'll let you know.

ID: 78   Posted (edited)

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with NorthWest Airlines' policy on pets. Or, rather, what is the maximum weight allowed for carry-on pets. My family has 2 dogs: 1 a Bijon-poodle at about 18 lbs., 1 a beagle (not sure on weight, but she's fat for her size).

I don't particularly like either dog (they distract people from more important things, like money), but my mother and sister won't let me take them to the pound for adoption. So, we've decided to take them to Chiang Rai (where we own an estate and a few miles of land) to live out the rest of their lives with her family.

So far, I've collected that Thailand charges a 150 Baht fee to bring these in (no big deal) and they need up-to-date vaccinations. Has this procedure changed any? Are there other things I should know?

Thanks

Edited by Monroe

ID: 79   Posted (edited)

Travel by Air

From: http://www.vets-net.com/frames.aspx?page_t...mp;nieuws_id=33

Air travel is of most concern to pet owners. The airlines sometimes update their regulations on pet travel including restrictions on breeds and size. Check with your airline well in advance for their current regulations. Many of the major airlines now allow cats and dogs under 15 pounds to travel in pet-designed carry-on luggage that will fit under the seat. Also, new, smaller air travel services such as Companion Air (www.companionair.com) allow pets and their people to travel in the cabin together.

Federal regulations require that pets be at least 8 weeks old and weaned at least 5 days before flying. Always try to book a nonstop, midweek flight and avoid plane changes whenever possible. During warm weather periods, choose early morning or late evening flights. In colder months, choose midday flights. The Federal Animal Welfare Regulations prohibit airlines from accepting dogs and cats for shipment if the airline cannot prevent exposure of the animal to temperatures less than 45 degrees F for more than 45 minutes while transferring the dog or cat between the terminal and the plane. However, this prohibition is waived if a veterinarian provides an acclimation certificate stating that the dog or cat can be exposed to lower temperatures. Your veterinarian cannot give a certificate allowing exposures to temperatures above 85 degrees F for more than 45 minutes.

Reconfirm your flight arrangements the day before you leave to ensure there have been no unexpected flight changes. Arrive at the airport early, exercise your pet, personally place it in its crate, and pick up the animal promptly upon arrival at your destination. When boarding the plane, let the flight attendant know that your pet is in the cargo hold.

Transport crates, available from most airlines or pet shops, must:

1) Be large enough to allow the animal to stand (without touching the top of the cage), turn around, and lie down.

2) Be strong and free of interior protrusions, with handle or grips.

3) Have a leak proof bottom that is covered with plenty of absorbent material.

4) Be appropriately and clearly labeled. Include your name, home address, home phone number, and destination contact information, as well as a designation of "Live Animals," with arrows indicating the crate's upright position. (In addition, carry your pet's photo and health information with you on the plane for easy identification in the event the cage label is lost.)

5) Be ventilated on opposite sides with exterior rims and knobs so that airflow is not impeded.

Before leaving on your trip, take the time to accustom your pet to the crate in which he will be traveling.

Ask your veterinarian for specific feeding instructions. For your pet's comfort, air travel on an almost empty stomach is usually recommended. The age and size of your pet, time and distance of the flight, and your pet's regular dietary routine will be considered when feeding recommendations are made. It is recommended that you not give tranquilizers to your pet when traveling by air.

N.B. This last recommendation is made by vets!

Edited by Nienke

ID: 80   Posted (edited)

Exporting pets from the UK to Thailand:

http://www.passportforpets.co.uk/thailand.html

Importing pets into the UK:

http://www.passportforpets.co.uk/imports.html and http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

Importing pets into Australia:

http://maaw.net/reviews41.html

Importing pets into Holland:

http://maaw.net/reviews41.html

Import/Exports pets Thailand:

http://www.dld.go.th/dcontrol/move/imex_e.html

Edited by Nienke