Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Tywais

Thai Months & Days

Tywais    12,087

Learned something interesting today about the names of Thai months. I was counting how many days until the end of the month and for some reason thought this month had 30 days. I use a little trick of using the knuckles to determine it. A thai friend mentioned that the name of the month (ending syllable) indicates how many days and you know right away. All months with 31 days have คม at the end, 30 days have ยน at the end and february is special with พันธ์ at the end.

Another item is the days of the week, it appears they are all from the Zodiac and are names of planets. One thing I brought up is that Sunday is wahnatit, which is also Thai for Sun Day and wondered how the Thai calendar names originated, would seem with Sunday as an example, it derives from either Western calendar or from the Roman calendar. Another example is Saturday, วันเสาร์ , which is Saturn Day - I assume the Sat in Saturday in the western calendar means the same. Just curious where the Thai months and days originated from or how.

• Like 1

Tywais    12,087

Great treatise from both of you! Just having been here for so many years that I just find out about this relationship and found it very interesting.

• Like 1

Johpa    2,119

Excellent post Rikker! It should be pinned to the board, mod please take note.

• Like 1

Alf Witt    0
The days are indeed from the planets which can be seen from Earth with the bare eye, just as you surmised.

Moonday วันจันทร์, Marsday วันอังคาร (♂), Mercuryday วันพุธ (☿), Jupiterday วันพฤหัสบดี (♃), Venusday วันศุกร์ (♀), Saturnday วันเสาร์ (♄), Sunday วันอาทิตย์.

They follow the same pattern as in the Roman calendar, now whether this is because they were influenced by it, or because the Roman calendar follows an older Indo-European tradition which means the Thais got their calendar with Indic influences, I do not know. Good question.

Checked this out further. It appears that the spread of the 7 day week started with Babylonia. The number 7 was sacred to them, and there are also 7 celestial bodies that can be seen with the naked eye. This Babylonian concept spread with the Jews and onto Christianity and then on with Roman culture - in 321, a Roman emperor decreed the 7 day week as law.

It became known to China and Japan around 600 AD.

So you have not heard about the forthcoming European Community legislation which will decimalise the week and the year? 10 days in the week with a 3 day weekend (sadly not until 2009); All months are to have 30 days and only 10 months in the year. They are working on the finer details now - eg. how old you have to be to drink and drive (n.b. not simultaneously) and at what age one qualifies for a state pension. It will make us all get older quicker which is a good reason to be in Thailand. On second thoughts, we are already more than 500 years older here - better to go to China where they do not intend to adopt this system for another 600 years (its not clear whether that means years under the present system or the new one). I guess that's pretty academic anyway.

In the Rai!    2

The days are indeed from the planets which can be seen from Earth with the bare eye, just as you surmised.

Moonday วันจันทร์, Marsday วันอังคาร (♂), Mercuryday วันพุธ (☿), Jupiterday วันพฤหัสบดี (♃), Venusday วันศุกร์ (♀), Saturnday วันเสาร์ (♄), Sunday วันอาทิตย์.

They follow the same pattern as in the Roman calendar, now whether this is because they were influenced by it, or because the Roman calendar follows an older Indo-European tradition which means the Thais got their calendar with Indic influences, I do not know. Good question.

Checked this out further. It appears that the spread of the 7 day week started with Babylonia. The number 7 was sacred to them, and there are also 7 celestial bodies that can be seen with the naked eye. This Babylonian concept spread with the Jews and onto Christianity and then on with Roman culture - in 321, a Roman emperor decreed the 7 day week as law.

It became known to China and Japan around 600 AD.

So you have not heard about the forthcoming European Community legislation which will decimalise the week and the year? 10 days in the week with a 3 day weekend (sadly not until 2009); All months are to have 30 days and only 10 months in the year. They are working on the finer details now - eg. how old you have to be to drink and drive (n.b. not simultaneously) and at what age one qualifies for a state pension. It will make us all get older quicker which is a good reason to be in Thailand. On second thoughts, we are already more than 500 years older here - better to go to China where they do not intend to adopt this system for another 600 years (its not clear whether that means years under the present system or the new one). I guess that's pretty academic anyway.

Alf are you sure you are not getting it a little bit confused with the UK legislation to rid everthing non - metric which comes in to place in 2009? feet to metres etc....

It sounds a little strange to me. Have heard nothing of it.

Cheers

In The RaI!

Rikker    20

Seriously, that sounds like a bad joke. I googled it and there are such things as both decimal time and metric time, but if it hasn't even made the world news yet, can anyone really call such an insanely drastic change "forthcoming"? Sounds more like "proposed" or "crackpot" would be better descriptors to me.

• Like 1

Tywais    12,087
Seriously, that sounds like a bad joke. I googled it and there are such things as both decimal time and metric time, but if it hasn't even made the world news yet, can anyone really call such an insanely drastic change "forthcoming"? Sounds more like "proposed" or "crackpot" would be better descriptors to me.

I think he is just trying to invoke a response. The world wide logistics and complexities for part of the world to change to that system would be mind boggling.

• Like 2

Rikker    20
I think he is just trying to invoke a response. The world wide logistics and complexities for part of the world to change to that system would be mind boggling.

Yeah, that was my first reaction, but then again you never know what kind of crackpots you'll meet on the internet. It's so hard to tell when people are joking or being ironic sometimes. Tends to start a lot of flamewars on the net, nome sane? :o

• Like 1

baennaenae    0

WoW.... you guys know so much information about Thai language by digging deep down to the root of it which is very useful.... WoW nubb teu, nubb teu ! :D The first time I learnt about the roots of the Thai months. Thank you :D

Khaa noi khor ka-ra-wa taan ! :o

Edited by baennaenae

Rinnam    0

Sorry, not about the topic i'm going to say but about the new calendar for Europeans. I think it's unlikely to be because how can you communicate with the rest of the world? well, Europeans can hold 2 types of calendar in daily life but it's not practical i think. However, if UK will go for matrix system, that sounds possible.

about the calendar, i think 10 days a week with 3 days weekend sounds not exciting...seem that Europeans just decrease a few working hours. I don't understand why they want to change.

Rikker    20

If there actually is an active movement toward changing the system, I'm sure it's a miniscule minority. So it's not that Europeans want to change it, but perhaps some people who happen to be in Europe want to change it. This would be in the mainstream press if there were anything to it.