martinjakobsen

Moving to Kanchanaburi - Advice needed

Hi guys,

I am concidering moving to Kanchanaburi with my wife and baby daughter in May or June. I have tried to find a house for rent online, but the selection is pretty limited, and I am sure it would be better to go and see for myself and find a house "manually". I am interested in knowing about hospital standards in the city and furthermore about what areas to stay in. We are planning to live a quiet, relaxed life and enjoy the beautiful natural scenery as often as we can.

We have lived in Thailand for 7 years, and we both speak Thai pretty much fluent. Getting by will not be a problem, but are there certain things about Kanchanaburi that stands out compared to other Thai cities? How is the Internet speed? Do you have a Big C or tesco etc.? How about Immigration police in terms of 90-day reporting? All the tips and advice that you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

I hope to hear from you and look forward to become a part of the community :)

Best regards, Martin

• Like 1

All the tips and advice that you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Visit there for at least one day before moving your family to live there.

• Like 2

""I hope to hear from you and look forward to become a part of the community"" no that aint going to happen

Would you please care to explain your comment? What is not going to happen? Me becoming a part of the community? Or hearing from people with advice?

""I hope to hear from you and look forward to become a part of the community"" no that aint going to happen

Sad but true. All foreigners here are considered Tourists and ATM machines.

(Life is what you make it wink.png )

wai.gif

Have been on several occasions great to visit. But as others have said it's a tourist town with all the problems cons that that can bring.

There are lots of places much better in Thailand than Kan to settle down in if you want to live the quiet/good life.

But you will have to travel about to find them. You could of cause ask for suggestions about same.

• Like 1

Thai wife or another expat ? It seemed from your OP that you stated both pretty much fluent in Thai which leads me to believe expat wife. So then the question is why choose kanchanaburi ? Work related ?

• Like 1

Thai wife or another expat ? It seemed from your OP that you stated both pretty much fluent in Thai which leads me to believe expat wife. So then the question is why choose kanchanaburi ? Work related ?

Thanks for asking :) She comes from Laos. We are choosing Kanchanaburi because of the easy access to Bangkok, the nature and climate - and to have a fresh start as a family where good hospitals are not too far away. I have income from Denmark and do not need to work anymore. I have been there twice and I liked the area. I am sure there are some places around the city, that are more quiet and those are the places we will try to find vacant houses in.