Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
daoyai

Samurai kitchen review

daoyai    4,853

There is a new Japanese themed resto on Chang Moi rd. called Samurai Kitchen. Decorated with interesting enameled metal signs Jap-kitch, paper lanterns, furnished with old plastic chairs and improvised tables supported by plastic crates, the vibe is rustic and funky.

The menu is interesting in that everything is 59baht. and illustrated with photos of the dishes.

I have tried the place twice, the first time I was in a snack mode so ordered gyoza (similar to Korean mandoo or Chinese pot stickers) and shrimp tempura rice balls. (a triangle of rice formed around a piece of tempura wrapped in nori) I really like gyoza I have to say these were the worst i have ever experienced, the filling was just a tasteless white paste, the tempura rice had the tiniest shrimp I have seen in a rice ball, maybe an inch long so basicly rice and dry nori.

They also brought me a plate of complimentary kim chee.... i love Kim chee but once again this was the worst I have ever had. The predominate taste was sugar.

I like Japanese food so since i had only tried a couple items i decided to give it another try. Since it was so hot last night i though cold soba (buckwheat or white noodles) would be good. Sadly, no soba or udon, but they did have curry ramen. I know japan is know for great ramen so ok curry ramen. The noodles were mushy, the curry ok but not the rich complex taste you expect from nippon curry. i also ordered a mushroom and quail egg tempura set. The tempura was not the golden light batter type but a hard crunchy type, the quail eggs were good.

Conclusion, I have sampled a very limited selection from their rather limited menu not really inspired to try more HOWEVER I think their large Chang and Leo are also 59baht (could be wrong) so it might be a fun place to go for a few cheap beers with friends and try other offerings, I have passed by and seen groups of Thai people doing that.

Edited by daoyai

northernjohn    3,332

Maybe it is just me but any permanent establishment with every thing 59 baht would make me very suspicious.

• Like 2

daoyai    4,853

Maybe it is just me but any permanent establishment with every thing 59 baht would make me very suspicious.

It is just you.

• Like 1

junglechef    1,069

As the OP said it was a "Japanese themed resto" so expecting the same cuisine as a Japanese restaurant for 59 bht, esp. as they are usually on the more expensive side, is rather an optimistic expectation.

Is it run or owned by Japanese?

Folkguitar, what's the name of the place your recommending?

• Like 1

FolkGuitar    3,920

As the OP said it was a "Japanese themed resto" so expecting the same cuisine as a Japanese restaurant for 59 bht, esp. as they are usually on the more expensive side, is rather an optimistic expectation.

Is it run or owned by Japanese?

Folkguitar, what's the name of the place your recommending?

Unless I'm mistaken, it's called "Ai Sushi." It had been across the road when it first opened, right on the corner, and did well there for two years. Then it moved into its present location just two doors west of the Shell Station.

• Like 2

daoyai    4,853

Ai sushi is nice but not convenient for me. nice folks and pretty good value.

flare    231

There's a second branch of Ai Sushi on the Canal Road about 1.5km from Suthep Road (heading toward Mae Hia, and on the same side) that might be more convenient for some people. Also having lived in Japan for nearly a decade, I agree it's the best I've tried in CM. They source their salmon from Makro, and it's surprisingly good.

KhonKaenKowboy    786

Well, there is always Loco Elvis for a legendary hamburger. Zero customers today at 11:30 am, so I don't think you need to worry about crowds, but they might soon be "moving." And speaking of Chiang Moi, that place next to the Crazy German has closed down.

northernjohn    3,332

It is just you.

Apparently not the OP is talking about Samurai Kitchen. Every one else including you is talking about another one that is more costly.

KhonKaenKowboy    786

Well, there is always Loco Elvis for a legendary hamburger. Zero customers today at 11:30 am, so I don't think you need to worry about crowds, but they might soon be "moving." And speaking of Chiang Moi, that place next to the Crazy German has closed down.

I meant "Fat Elvis," solly, but actually Loco didn't have any customers either, however Bamboo Bar and EuroDiner were doing some business....warm beer must be a big seller on a 40 degree day with the AQI over 200.

FolkGuitar    3,920

There's a second branch of Ai Sushi on the Canal Road about 1.5km from Suthep Road (heading toward Mae Hia, and on the same side) that might be more convenient for some people. Also having lived in Japan for nearly a decade, I agree it's the best I've tried in CM. They source their salmon from Makro, and it's surprisingly good.

I'm sitting here laughing because it's Ai Sushi's salmon that is my one dislike of the place... Not it's taste, mind you. That part is fine. But it's their predominant fish in their assortments. There may be three pieces of salmon sushi and one each of ebi, tamago, and maguro! I always have to order an extra order of maguro and ebi! Same problem when you order their Sashimi te.... Mostly salmon!

• Like 1