Thailand Forum
Mark0

AirCon Brands & Support

Mark0    0

Hi All,

need some new aircon's (9/13/18k BTU) for living- and bed rooms. So far considering Mitsu Mr. Slim, LG or Daikin models using inverter technology only and R32/R410A refrigerants.

- any practical recommendations between these brands ?

- appreciate your experience in regards to service & support in Chiang Mai

Thx for your suggestions & comments !

ukrules    7,025

Our A/C guy told us that it's best to buy LG as there's a lot of spare parts availability so they are easy to fix / maintain if that's needed.

I also heard the same thing about LG washing machines.

northernjohn    3,332

I was looking into a new one also. Mitsubishi or Daikin models. Seem to be the best.

Apparently the others use plastic parts.

Mark0    0

I have 2 brand new Daikin FTKM Smart Inverters . Very quiet and cheap to run.

http://www.daikin.co.th/en/product/smart/

Hmm, was looking at Daikin models just recently, advertised as No.1 air con's in Japan and Mitsu. No.1 in Thailand ...

Any experiences with Daikin support in Chiang Mai so far ?

MJCM    2,809

^ Sorry no idea about the Service in Chiang Mai because I live in Buriram.

I had a problem once with mine (very minor, not the Aircons problem but the installers) and Daikin send a repair team to fix them from Korat (which is around 200 km's away) and total bill was 0 THB.

• Like 1

kaptainrob    809

We're happy with our Samsung Inverter models although I'd choose Daikin next time for quieter running and more control features.

Contact PT Air for advice re serviceability - they install and service all brands. FACEBOOK: ติดตั้งแอร์ เชียงใหม่ PT Airsupply & Service

• Like 1

Mark0    0

I previously had LG, I now buy Mitsubishi Mr Slim

Hmm, why that ? Not happy with LG or Mitsu just better (nowadays) ?

ammagic    256

This just happened to me. Bought a Panasonic from Home Pro which is way too powerful. Bummer as it was so expensive. Not sure how to resolve this - don't really want to buy yet another air con

• Like 2

Tywais    12,087

I previously had LG, I now buy Mitsubishi Mr Slim

Hmm, why that ? Not happy with LG or Mitsu just better (nowadays) ?

I had 2 new LGs put in by the house owner and they both failed in one fashion or another just over one year. If going for Mitsu, go for Mitsu Heavy not Mitsu Electric. Parts much easier with the Heavy brand. Had to wait several weeks for a replacement outside fan motor whereas the tech said he could got the motor for Mitsu Heavy within a day or two.

Daikin is probably one of the highest rated here and P.K. Air, they have several branches around CM, handle it. P.K. Air also handles most other brands though. The house I'm in now has 5 Saijo Denkis which have been doing fine and a common brand so parts should be no issue.

KhonKaenKowboy    788

I had a new Samsung Inverter put in in January, during that record cold spell. I wasn't really able to fully test it, but when I started using it in March, for real, I noticed it making too many strange noises. I just went straight to Samsung on the north side of the moat. They scheduled an appointment for three days later, but after failing to show, I called, and the driver had been in an accident. It was also a heatwave, and I think they were just overwhelmed, and they knew mine was still blowing cold. So, they came two days later on Monday. Tech says bad evap, need part from BKK, that came on Thursday, techs returned Friday....then determined that the evap was fine, even though they replaced it anyway, but the nitwits who did the install, didn't tighten the nut enough on the refrigerant line, and it was leaking under high pressure. The installers have to do three a day, which apparently isn't enough time to thoroughly check their work, and also, I'm a more than a little suspicious of foul play with warranty claims against the manufacturer, etc..It has also been mentioned here that low refrigerant is what keeps them in business in the low season...and also causes a lot of extra wear and tear on your compressor. The 18K unit seems to have cost me 20 thb per day to operate in April....really pretty cheap. I would be hesitant to buy a high end make because of potential damage from electricity fluctuations...and the same goes for any other electrical equipment, that is more and more electronic and less mechanical. I was glad I didn't get teh run around between the installer and Samsung...hopefully Samsung billed the installer, but I think they just ordered that unneeded part to put the blame on the manufacturer; not their buddies across the moat. I would much prefer Carrier or York, but I think the Dollar is just too strong to make them competitive. When I get my free service in July, if it needs refrigerant, at all, I will be back in the Samsung office.....so just take your problems there, and be persistent....nip funny noises in the bud, just like you would on a car or even a Hatari fan.....make a video of its operation.

brommers    522

In 8 years I have been 100% Mitsu Mr Slim. Not had one else breakdown of any kind, but am meticulous about cleaning the coarse filters every two months and the he pav filters annually. Also I have the inside and outside units cleaned every May and October. Care and maintenance make a big difference to reliability and cost a small amount compared to the time and cost of repairs.

• Like 2