BANGKOK 17 November 2018 18:38
simon43

Online teaching - has anyone done this (successfully)?

I have taught English Conversation ( not my main occupation ) one - on - one and small groups only for many years and in many countries.

I tried once, on line teaching Interview Skills for someones up-coming interview - never again. Unreliable feed back and unreliable with times booked. Although I knew the person vaguely they didn't expect to pay, despite the hours of work I had to do to prepare for the type of work and, special interview skills the student needed.

I found some students unreliable enough even on "regular" booked teaching classes.

Here is not like teaching for Open Uni in the UK.

If you go ahead with it - good luck.

• Like 1

kidding yourself. I think you know that.

But an online model is a good idea if you have time. Explore a subscription model, sell something. then keep branding, working... not easy, but better than online teaching.

I've been teaching on-line for a couple of years now for students in China. The pay isn't great but it does provide some pocket money for me. We use Skype mainly with video or a Chinese program called QQ.

If you want more info just PM me and I'll provide you their details.

Yes been doing it for about 8 months, with a Chinese company, get paid weekly in to paypal, earnt about $10k todate, good fun as well.

All done through an app on my phone, for more details pm me ok

Edited by peterb0576

I've been teaching online for 2 years and love it.

The company I work for provides all the students (Chinese)

They use proper conferencing software and supply all the material.

It means I can use videos, books, worksheets, anything electronic.

I earn between 20K and 30K a month over 4 evenings and on Saturday.

I sit in an air conditioned room and can have a coffee anytime I want.

Paid fortnightly in USD via Paypal

You need to ensure your Thai bank account is set up to receive transfers from Paypal - there are lots of tips on the web about how to do that.

You MUST have a good wired connection. The audio on wi-fi isn't good enough. Believe me!

Obviously a camera and I strongly suggest a good set of headhones with a boom microphone

I teach 1 to 1 - I don't like teaching groups but it can be done and pays more.

The most important thing is to check their cancellation policy.

With my company, I get 50% if a lesson is cancelled within 12 hours of the class and 100% if cancelled within 2 hours.

That makes a huge difference - internet classes are very easy for students to cancel.

I would avoid companies that use Skype, QQ and the like.

Check the company out by searching for comments from other teachers

There are a lot of bucket shops out there.

IELTS? Hmmmm. Don't know about the demand.

The majority of students at my company tend to be 5 to 16. In two years I've only had 2 adults.

If you want the school details please send me a PM

They are looking for more teachers at the moment.

• Like 1

I do know of people who are doing this successfully. Find a good, reliable company, work hard, and the rewards are there....apparently.

Didn't they bust a few people doing this in Chiang Mai a few years ago?

Yes, but they were doing it for a Thai company, with no work permit or Non B visa.

Online training is very popular if you offer it the right way. You need to record your classes and sell private online video courses with quizzes.Have a look at the coursera website enroll in a course to see how they do it, they are very successful. You can build classes free on the moodle website.

I've been doing this for 8 years now. Started off working for a Russian company who sent me students. I stated Upper Intermediate and above which was adhered to.

Made $15 US/hour. Had more students than I really wanted as I wouldn't work on weekends and then no more than 4.5 hours a day. Each lesson was 30 minutes only.

After 4 years went private and charged $22 US/hour. This worked fine until the Ruble tanked (from 32 to 60+ per $). By choice I now have only one student.

I received my ESL Cert in 2005 and worked in a school in Mexico for 3 years before working with the my students who mostly come from Russia but also Ukraine, Italy and Israel. I cannot speak other languages except a smattering of Spanish, hence my students needing to be at least Upper Int.

I also did some proof reading charging $5US/page

There is a webpage in Russia (in English) where I saw on-line teachers asking up to $45US/hour but unfortunately I don't have that info any more.

What I did with my students was based on what they wanted to learn. I scanned articles that were of interest to them (e.g. lawyering stuff for lawyers, engineering stuff for engineers, music trends for teens etc).I also used current news articles but tried to keep away from the political stuff.

I didn't hand out certificates as it was only me, myself and I but it sure helped to supplement my income.

• Like 1

Yes, but they were doing it for a Thai company, with no work permit or Non B visa.

True, but the simple fact is that even just doing it at home for yourself is still illegal, you are in Thailand and you are working without the relevant work permit.

True, but the simple fact is that even just doing it at home for yourself is still illegal, you are in Thailand and you are working without the relevant work permit.

Maybe, but there was a story posted on here about a guy who went to Immigration for a retirement visa. When asked where his funds were coming from, he replied that he was teaching online for an American company, and getting paid into his UK account. The visa stamp was given, and off he went....This discussion has been brought up everytime someone asks about online teaching.

There is a British (I think) website that pays teachers for online IELTS essay reviews. They pay about $10 a script. There is a big demand for IELTS, mainly in Bangkok, so if you have contacts and a proven IELTS track record, it's possible to do your own private online tutoring.