Esterhazy

Home internet: True or AIS?

61 posts in this topic

I know True has the better reputation in Thailand for internet access in general, but I'm looking at plans for my new flat in Bangkok and True is 3x more than AIS for the same home internet package (50/10 mbps). Is True so much better than AIS for home internet that it justifies being three times more expensive?

I have True signal up and down in strength all the time

ID: 3   Posted (edited)

Ask your new neighbors. They'll have better information about service in your location.

I have True ADSL and it sucks. Goes down for hours, sometimes days at a time. Call them up, go through the menu, "press X for English" and get another Thai message. Have one of our Thai people call them, and it's go home and have an argument with the guy they send, who says my brand new router is "obsolete", need a new one.

Slows to a crawl whenever it rains, leading me to suspect crappy wiring down my sub-soi around Asoke. (Or everyone gets on the Interweb when the weather sucks)

But some of my workmates have True and it works great in their locations around BKK. And if you don't have problems with the signal, the field service frustrations don't really factor in.

Edited by impulse
1 person likes this

ID: 4   Posted (edited)

I can only give you my personal impression from reading here in the forum and I read about everything on internet access.

True gets endless complaints about being ridiculously slow, having erratic performane.

They are big in marketing/advertising, overselling like mad.

As said this is just an impression from what I read here.

Things can differ from district to district.

I have ToT fibre, ToT being the most cursed ISP in the forum, particularly in Pattaya (where most reports come from).

I live remotely in upcountry and being very satisfied with them.

As written above: local experience counts.

Edited by KhunBENQ
2 people like this

IMHO, if I only need internet and do not need cable TV from True, I would go for AIS.

As AIS is a new player, their network is not as congested as True. furthermore, they have more bandwidth than True.

AIS is also indirectly controlled by Singtel so the people handling the network is pretty knowledgeable..

My experience with their customer service so far has been top notch. Fast and helpful response. With True, it's always a 24 hours wait.

It may be because AIS is still new, but hey so far they are doing a pretty good job.. And for their price? Why not give them a go?!

True 50meg is not what most would get - if they want higher speed the 30meg as offered here would be what most people would buy and that is much more competitive with AIS price wise.

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/product-service/super-fiber/entry/5349

The data will go over international lines so the "per connection" speed will be limited (improved over the last few years) to a maximum of 1 Mbps (slower during prime hours). In country speed will of course be much much higher. Most services use one connection and thus will be limited, but for things like Torrenting (assuming it is not artificially limited) you would likely be able to use a much higher bandwidth (each seeder that you are connected to is a separate connection).

In my building we have D-SLAM, a variant of ADSL whereby True have effectively brought in the node from their telephone exchange. I do not, therefore, share capacity with the local neighbourhood, only with others connected in my building. It has been rock steady for the whole period since it qas installed early last year with no spikes at all in upload or download performance 24x7. If you can obtain such a connection it is well worthwhile. BTW, It is sreets ahead of anything I experienced last week when visiting the UK,and cheaper.

1 person likes this

Current test

Thailand
Download Speed: 31999 kbps (3999.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3474 kbps (434.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 3 ms
Jitter: 1 ms
5/6/2016, 2:40:20 PM
USA:
Download Speed: 4677 kbps (584.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4246 kbps (530.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 213 ms
5/6/2016, 2:42:42 PM
Singapore:
Download Speed: 31753 kbps (3969.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 3513 kbps (439.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 32 ms
Jitter: 2 ms
5/6/2016, 2:45:14 PM

In my building we have D-SLAM, a variant of ADSL whereby True have effectively brought in the node from their telephone exchange. I do not, therefore, share capacity with the local neighbourhood, only with others connected in my building. It has been rock steady for the whole period since it qas installed early last year with no spikes at all in upload or download performance 24x7. If you can obtain such a connection it is well worthwhile. BTW, It is sreets ahead of anything I experienced last week when visiting the UK,and cheaper.

Where are you located grahambkk? - which building?

I have given notice on my apartment in BKK so as to get Internet that works - I'm going to rent an apartment in Hua Hin and sign up on a short contract for a months and test their connection, but they still only have shared wifi routers and importantly share local connections back to ADSL / D-Slam, I can not find apartment here in BK that offers anything consistent and reasonably fast - Hence prepared to travel away from BKK to get what you got i.e D-Slam in the basement and hence no contention battles with the local subs in the general metro area - just share bandwidth with occupants in the building.

I've had TRUE in my condo for about 14 years with almost no complaints.

We have 3BB and we have never had a problem with it. The speed varies but that is going to happen no matter what internet service you have unless you have an agreement for a fixed bandwidth. Some companies have that but individually very rarely have it

1 person likes this

We have 3BB and we have never had a problem with it. The speed varies but that is going to happen no matter what internet service you have unless you have an agreement for a fixed bandwidth. Some companies have that but individually very rarely have it

3BB has been solid for me. I recently downgraded to 13/1 (2 lines) from 16/1 I think (I was getting charged for a package that no longer existed and was since reduced in price so I took the opportunity to downgrade).

I have been known to download a couple of terabytes over the period of a month (over 2 lines).

If you are a heavy user during the day -- your overall speed will be reduced to about 50% between 6:30ish to 12 midnight, but full bandwidth is available during the rest of the day (years back it was ramped down much more but overall bandwidth available internationally has allowed for improvements).

As I mentioned earlier the international lines (Cogent, GTT, NTT, AAG etc.) that your traffic get rerouted through (independent of ISP) each have their own per connection speeds which are typically limited to at most 1 Mbps (time of day dependent). When I mention "per connection" speeds... if you are downloading a file from one server using a standard FTP/HTTP download protocol you are using "one connection". If you are torrenting and downloading from 5 computers at the same time you are using 5 connections.

1 person likes this

JAS, the owner of 3BB, being new kid on the block had everything to prove to gain market share