Esterhazy

Home internet: True or AIS?

61 posts in this topic

Hi Patyh,

Thank you for your kind reply.

Before your insights. I was beginning to think that my condo agent or other Thai friends have a bias-ness with using TRUE.

I will check this package out from AIS and also True before making a decision. Wishing you a nice weekend

On 5/8/2016 at 0:53 PM, impulse said:

Quick tip: If you want a Belkin ADSL router, Fortune Town ain't the place to go. They have 'em on Lazada, but I was headed out for lunch anyway. May as well have been looking for unicorn eggs.

I felt kinda bad after the 8th shop... I was very polite and patient the first 4 or 5, explaining that the multitude of ADSL routers they did have were not what I wanted, I wanted to try a Belkin, blah blah blah. By the 7th or 8th, I was a little short- "if you don't have a Belkin, I don't want what you have, thank you". That's when it was time to come home and regroup.

Every time I go to FortuneTown for tech shopping, it makes me a little crazy. Of course, there are small shops all over the place, and only very generally organized by type of products being sold. I always go in knowing exactly what I want, but trying to find the shop or shops that may have that particular item sometimes feels like a tortured Easter Egg hunt.

15 hours ago, patyh said:

AIS basic internet is essentially powered by something like a android TV box. So, if you want to avoid the hassle, then the AIS playbox is a good pick. 

The plan with AIS playbox starts at 888 for a 50mbps plan. If you are a existing AIS post paid subscriber, the you can get 10% off. 

If all you do is just simple web browsing and TV watching, then 50mbps plan is more than enough. Heck, it's more than enough for me considering how many stuff I stream online nowadays. 

I think overall, if you were to read all the various posts on the subject here on TVF, you'd find that AIS's relatively new fiber internet service is getting overall good reviews and performance statistics from those who have it.

The other obvious benefits are AIS offering discounted prices to those who already have their prepaid mobile service, and also offering the pretty much free Android TV box that will support their upcoming partnership with HBO and enable local streaming of the various HBO channels that formerly were on TrueVisions cable.

True Online says they have fiber internet, but a lot of what they actually still use is older-style co-ax cabling that perhaps runs down your street and into your home. True also was ridiculously overpriced for a long time, and remained that way until AIS and 3BB started eating their lunch (stealing their customers away) with much better and more affordable fiber services of their own.

This seems to be a rare example in Thailand where competition is really working and benefiting consumers.

I have AIS Fibre (or Fiber). It's my landlord's, actually. So I don't know the specs but it's been surprisingly fast and reliable. It's the happiest experience with internet in Thailand that I've had. 

ID: 45   Posted (edited)

On 5/6/2016 at 11:24 AM, KhunBENQ said:

I can only give you my personal impression from reading here in the forum and I read about everything on internet access.

True gets endless complaints about being ridiculously slow, having erratic performane.

They are big in marketing/advertising, overselling like mad.

As said this is just an impression from what I read here.

Things can differ from district to district.

I have ToT fibre, ToT being the most cursed ISP in the forum, particularly in Pattaya (where most reports come from).

I live remotely in upcountry and being very satisfied with them.

As written above: local experience counts.

I've had ToT for various laptops since 2003 from dial up to the present fiber optic service...sure there's been probs but no more or less than other providers, everyone complains when there is bad weather, etc...I leave that stuff up to the step daughter (who has an iPhone) who knows more than I do...maybe the ToT connection is better than the others in our area in Suphanburi?

Edited by tutsiwarrior

AIS fiber all the way. 

We have True in our house and AIS in our condo. It's heaven and hell. 

True sometimes gives me 2mbit, sometimes 50mbit. AIS is always constant. 

AIS has less customers than true, meaning less people using the same line etc.. my vote goes for AIS!

with AIS your service is never disconnected whereas TRUE to be disconnected is something happening every day and sometime for days in a row!!

As a True Online customer for many years, I am delighted to have switched to AIS fiber.  Half the price (for 6 months), faster speeds and, most importantly, very few dropouts.  In the last year, True have been a nightmare!

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

As a True Online customer for many years, I am delighted to have switched to AIS fiber.  Half the price (for 6 months), faster speeds and, most importantly, very few dropouts.  In the last year, True have been a nightmare!

I've had three providers before.. Here's a summary:

True in my old place: Terrible.. Frequent Drop of service.. Take them ages to get it back online.. Speeds was terrible.. 

3bb VDSL at my new place: Great so far, good speed.. can be spotty during peak hours even though I'm one of the few using VDSL, most of the people in my estate are using ADSL.. I wonder why.. 

AIS at my condo: Great speeds, no issue with streaming.. Has yet to drop connection. 

How about price?      Many replies but no one has mentioned price.     I have True and pay B640 per  month.

15 hours ago, Spaniel said:

How about price?      Many replies but no one has mentioned price.     I have True and pay B640 per  month.

For AIS, if you were to get a plan together with the AIS playbox (Their TV set-top box) then the plans are as follows:

50mbps @ Baht 888/month. 

100mbps @ Baht 1,100/month.

If you were to only get the internet package without their set-top box, then the plans are as follows:

30mbps @ Baht 590/month.

75mbps @ Baht 890/month. 

If you are a current AIS subscriber, then you get a 10% discount on the above price, and if you are a AIS serenade customer, you get a further Baht 100 discount off then 10% discount. I find what AIS provide a very good deal if you are currently a AIS customer.  

21 minutes ago, patyh said:

For AIS, if you were to get a plan together with the AIS playbox (Their TV set-top box) then the plans are as follows:

50mbps @ Baht 888/month. 

100mbps @ Baht 1,100/month.

If you were to only get the internet package without their set-top box, then the plans are as follows:

30mbps @ Baht 590/month.

75mbps @ Baht 890/month. 

If you are a current AIS subscriber, then you get a 10% discount on the above price, and if you are a AIS serenade customer, you get a further Baht 100 discount off then 10% discount. I find what AIS provide a very good deal if you are currently a AIS customer.  

Also if you "migrate" from True, they will give you a 50% discount for the first 6 months.

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Also if you "migrate" from True, they will give you a 50% discount for the first 6 months.

Which makes it the best deal you can get presently.. Just hope they don't be like true or 3bb, overselling their plans until everyone slows down.. 

1 person likes this

thank you guys, really enjoying my AIS playbox package.

Looks like i have to tup up THB299 for HBO and footy. Overall still a good deal

I just received CSloxinfo. So can't tell yet about service.
But 35/15 for 590baht (first 4 months 100 baht)
So seems for me till now OK

True DOCSIS been solid for 6 years down here in leafy Sukhumvit 23.

50 Mbps gives me 6.1 MBps on torrents and crisp, buffer-free streaming on Netflix........at the same time

Part of a package Truevisions/Truemove-H/Fixed line and Trueonline for 2999.

I'm probably getting a duff deal considering just how crap Truevisions is but can't be bothered to go through all the aggro of changing to someone like AIS and I don't want to lose the DOCSIS.

On 4/15/2017 at 1:42 PM, Thai Ron said:

True DOCSIS been solid for 6 years down here in leafy Sukhumvit 23.

50 Mbps gives me 6.1 MBps on torrents and crisp, buffer-free streaming on Netflix........at the same time

Part of a package Truevisions/Truemove-H/Fixed line and Trueonline for 2999.

I'm probably getting a duff deal considering just how crap Truevisions is but can't be bothered to go through all the aggro of changing to someone like AIS and I don't want to lose the DOCSIS.

Are you staying in a Condo or a landed property? 

AIS provides their internet services through fibre optic cable which are much better than DOCSIS. 

AIS currently have their AIS playbox which is essentially an Android Box but will support their newly bought HBO channels soon.. It's also much cheaper... So, I highly recommend you give AIS a try since their internet services has been working great for me so far in my apartment. 

Is it possible to get True cable TV service on AIS fibre?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 4/21/2017 at 8:14 PM, threefurryfaces said:

Is it possible to get True cable TV service on AIS fibre?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Nope. 2 Different provider.. 

You could however get the AIS playbox which does offer subscription to stuff like HBO. 

Anyone know the total cost of AIS PlayBox platinum package (HBO) + 100MBPS fiber?  Cheers