Jump to content
BANGKOK 13 November 2018 10:10
sly4all

Varee - International school

Recommended Posts

It's often better to look at the details of what is being taught in schools, along with qualifications of teachers. Even though I work in an EP, I draw most of my material from IGCSE, A-level, IB material. Most foreign teachers in non-international schools would do this as the Thai curriculum is vague at best.  I know the topics to be taught based on the Thai curriculum (which in mathematics is quite similar to foreign curricula anyway). I just adapt it for my students, especially the language aspects. Whether the EP is good or not will depend a lot on its management teacher quality, professional development, etc. That will vary from school to school. I don't necessarily think those school are "too Thai"; they do have a large numbers of foreign teachers and this can have an influence on students. Mine are very open to asking questions, arguing, finding faults and errors and pointing them out, etc 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DavisH said:

It's often better to look at the details of what is being taught in schools, along with qualifications of teachers. Even though I work in an EP, I draw most of my material from IGCSE, A-level, IB material. Most foreign teachers in non-international schools would do this as the Thai curriculum is vague at best.  I know the topics to be taught based on the Thai curriculum (which in mathematics is quite similar to foreign curricula anyway). I just adapt it for my students, especially the language aspects. Whether the EP is good or not will depend a lot on its management teacher quality, professional development, etc. That will vary from school to school. I don't necessarily think those school are "too Thai"; they do have a large numbers of foreign teachers and this can have an influence on students. Mine are very open to asking questions, arguing, finding faults and errors and pointing them out, etc 

As a parent I expect headmaster / management / program supervisors to set the standards rather then hope that some teachers will be as initiative as you while others just do the minimum possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, XGM said:

As a parent I expect headmaster / management / program supervisors to set the standards rather then hope that some teachers will be as initiative as you while others just do the minimum possible. 

Teachers who do the minimum generally don't last very long where I work....three teachers were let go at the end of the last academic year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Teachers who do the minimum generally don't last very long where I work....three teachers were let go at the end of the last academic year. 

I would have preferred them to have gone sooner once replacements were secured rather than wait till the end of the school year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If still there and think so, they have an idiot white guy who runs the English dept. One should scrutinize his MA degree as I was told once. Met him once, and he is a piece of work. English or Irish or Scottish of the something. Otherwise the school has its good points and its not so good points.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

If still there and think so, they have an idiot white guy who runs the English dept. One should scrutinize his MA degree as I was told once. Met him once, and he is a piece of work. English or Irish or Scottish of the something. Otherwise the school has its good points and its not so good points.   

Which school are you referring to?

Is this the English department in their EP or Inter program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2017 at 6:27 PM, ilostmypassword said:

According to Prism, Varee is certified by CfBT. Do you have different information? If that is the case, then the rest of the disparagement in your first paragraph seems to have been undercut.

I also got this from the Varee International School Sports Page:

Varee International offers a variety of sport programmes, including Futsal, Basketball and Football and we compete against other International Schools in the Chiang Mai area. Follow our dedicated sports page on Facebook

http://international.varee.ac.th/?page_id=58#  Do you maintain that they are being untruthful?

As for your final paragraph, you are just offering generalizations.

The link brings you to Varee website that mentions a dedicated sports page but the link does not work nor does a search bring up one.

Do you have a link to the actual Varee Sports page on Facebook?

 

Thanks, JC

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2017 at 1:33 PM, stament said:

I would have preferred them to have gone sooner once replacements were secured rather than wait till the end of the school year. 

I agree. Unfortunately, I'm not the boss. There also needs to be a set procedure (verbal, written warnings) for terminating contracts and this needs to be followed. One cannot just fire a teacher on the spot unless there has been a serious breach of contract. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, junglechef said:

Which school are you referring to?

Is this the English department in their EP or Inter program?

Varee

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavisH said:

I agree. Unfortunately, I'm not the boss. There also needs to be a set procedure (verbal, written warnings) for terminating contracts and this needs to be followed. One cannot just fire a teacher on the spot unless there has been a serious breach of contract. 

 

There also needs to be a proper process for recruiting teachers, including checking their references at previous schools. I wonder to what extent is that done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, XGM said:

There also needs to be a proper process for recruiting teachers, including checking their references at previous schools. I wonder to what extent is that done.

Probably most often not nearly enough 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Varee

Does the person you'r referring to run all the English departments at Varee incl the International and EP programs?

Edited by junglechef

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XGM said:

There also needs to be a proper process for recruiting teachers, including checking their references at previous schools. I wonder to what extent is that done.

Most reputable international schools use "Search associates" platform for recruiting, which is excellent. But also school need to provide some level of standards and salary, I would be very surprised if Varee uses it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A post has been reported and removed.   Please stay on topic.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-5-2 at 6:05 AM, DavisH said:

I agree. Unfortunately, I'm not the boss. There also needs to be a set procedure (verbal, written warnings) for terminating contracts and this needs to be followed. One cannot just fire a teacher on the spot unless there has been a serious breach of contract. 

 

I agree, I meant of course they get rid of incompetent teachers after due process is followed not just upon expiry of their contracts which is a cop out way and not putting students first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×