Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Malthus101

Buying Gold Jewelry in Thailand

Hey

So I've been reading about gold jewelry in Thailand and it seems a great place to buy due to the purity of gold and the small commission.

I've heard Chinatown is the best place - but I'm wondering - is it just plain chains and rings down there or do they carry very fine, artistic works in gold?

I found this bracelet searching around Google - I would love to buy something as intricate and fine as this - does anyone know where I should begin my search?

Thanks.

(image attached)

post-173861-0-69308400-1466162282_thumb.

Chinatown is whete you need to start browsing.

Thanks - do you think they might have stuff of that quality? Of course, I can also try River City antiques - they may have some gold sellers there too.

Any other markets or regions of Thailand I am missing?

Thanks.

Just go to Yaraphat rd,Chinatown.There are many stores.Look them over.Much of their stuff is 23K gold.Some maybe 22K like rings so it's A

Little harder.Thailand isn't the best country to buy gold but no complaints.Remember gold sells on the world market.To buy gold cheaper in

One country than another usually depends on labor prices.

• Like 1

"I found this bracelet searching around Google - I would love to buy something as intricate and fine as this - does anyone know where I should begin my search?"

Google?

Thai gold can't be sold outside Thailand at fair prices. If you want gold to be sold outside Thailand get .999

• Like 2

Remember when you buy that Thai gold does not carry an Assay mark. If you wanted to sell it in another country the price you would receive would be low. Only way you could overcome that would be to have the item(s) sent to an Assay office and get the stamp verifying exactly what carat the item is.

Remember when you buy that Thai gold does not carry an Assay mark. If you wanted to sell it in another country the price you would receive would be low. Only way you could overcome that would be to have the item(s) sent to an Assay office and get the stamp verifying exactly what carat the item is.

That says it all You will never the percentage of Gold

Buy Stainless Steel on Ali Express for less than 300 Baht Delivery included

Edited by HenryB

That says it all You will never the percentage of Gold

Buy Stainless Steel on Ali Express for less than 300 Baht Delivery included

We know it isnt 24ct for sure but if it was ever to be sold even if it was pure gold it wouldnt get the price without the Assay stamp. If it was being sold to a Thai it may be different though.

Print the picture and show it around, they have much more behind the shop than is shown out front. Years ago, I bought a 20 baht weight gold frog with a 10 baht chain attached to it in China town, it wasn't out front, I showed them a picture and voila, they produced it.............sold that puppy for ten times what I paid for it in San Francisco a few years later. but that was 1996 so gold was cheap then.

• Like 1

The commission or worksmanship fee varies depending on the piece. You should expect higher fees for the items you seek as opposed to a simple link chain for example.

• Like 1

I wouldn't buy gold in Thailand at all. A large percentage of it is fake gold. Thailand, Vietnam and China are the 3 countries in Asia where you're most likely to be sold fake goods. Even a lot of the mobile phones sold in Thailand are fake ones that can emit a much higher than normal level of radiation. Most of them are made in Vietnam, but they are also sold in Thailand.

I wouldn't buy gold in Thailand at all. A large percentage of it is fake gold. Thailand, Vietnam and China are the 3 countries in Asia where you're most likely to be sold fake goods. Even a lot of the mobile phones sold in Thailand are fake ones that can emit a much higher than normal level of radiation. Most of them are made in Vietnam, but they are also sold in Thailand.

Even the most inexperienced buyer of gold would do the acid test. "A large percentage is fake". Back that up or stop thai bashing.

• Like 2

Notwithstanding the possibility of doing an "acid test" are there any places in Chiangmai where the customer can feel confident that they will not be ripped off?

Expect to pay a lot if you can purchase gold with this type intricate workmanship quality. Expect to pay 2,000 - 3,000 baht per baht of gold for this type workmanship + the price of Gold.