Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
stament

Air Con Recommendations

stament    363

Being from England aircon units are something that I've never had to purchase before, and hence I don't know anything about them.

Having visited 2 shops, 2 different salesman told me that Samsung was the best while the other one recommended Sharp and Daiken.

Samsung has a 10 year warranty and it seems sensible to buy a unit with an inverter as I understand this reduces electricity bills. I was also thinking of having a quieter one for my kids bedroom and one which filters out more as they both cough a bit. Samsung have a virus doctor with an extra filter which one salesman recommended but the other one said it isn't quiet and recommended a quiet sharp one.

Is there much of a difference between all the manufacturers and which manufacturers are considered the best and most reliable?

Any info would be greatly appreciated on where to buy too. I have been to Powerbuy, Tesco and Niyom Panich (sorry not clear on the spelling). The latter store impressed me and the prices seem good. Has anyone had any experience with them and their after sales service? It's the large electric shop next to the Toyota dealer on the road to Airport Plaza from the old city.

jimmym40    67

I would never buy Samsung a/c's again. They are the noisiet units I have experienced. I've had Daiken for the past 9 yrs in two different homes. Very happy with them. My opnion, Mitsubishu and Daiken are the best and most reliable.

I've bought many items from Niyom Panich there at the airport location. Never had any items that required maintenance so cannot comment on after service. I might add. You can negotiate prices with them. They will normally come down a small bit on most items. (TVs, bicycles, fridge).

• Like 1

cmsally    2,472

Daiken if you want something long term . They seem to go for years without a problem.

Although just got one of those "triangular" Samsung ones that seems to work quite well.

Eclipse    1,231

We have a Samsung inverter and it works well. Very quiet. Can hardly hear it

Most will recomend Daikin though.

Pib    8,316

I expect that 10 years you mention regarding Samsung only applies to the compressor and all remaining components are 1 year. Don't assume that 10 year warranty applies to all the components such as the electronics, etc. Just for example regarding compressor warranties, I have 7 non-inverter York A/Cs in my Bangkok home approaching 8 years of age and even...even with 8 year old technology they came with a 5 year warranty on the compressors....1 year on all remaining parts.

In those 8 years of use none of them have had a compressor failure. One did "smoke" the electronics control board in the outside unit probably due to a lizard shorting-out components as it walked across the board or maybe a power line surge (fix cost around Bt3,000 including labor)....and had one where the startup compactor failed (cheap fix of around Bt100)....one had the remote control unit fail (cheap fix of around Bt500)....but no other components have failed.

Usually A/Cs fail due to getting super dirty/not being cleaned often enough (a human problem), some electronics circuit board failure, or low quality installation (a human problem) causing a small refrigerant leak.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

HullyGully    235

Over the years I purchased Samsung, however I now purchase Mitsubishi with inverter, I think they are a lot better

• Like 1

fredge45    195

Mitsubishi excellent units.

Use the 3M Filtrete as a pre-filter to the 'filters' that are on the unit you buy. Change them whenever they show the need and you will be amazed at the additional crap they remove from the air, especially during the smoke season.

Jitar    525

Mitsubishi are good but they are tough with warranty claims. We had a fan motor fail just over 12 months from purchase and they will not replace. Our dealer reckons they have had a batch of these recently so probably a manufacturing fault.

Pib    8,316

Mitsubishi are good but they are tough with warranty claims. We had a fan motor fail just over 12 months from purchase and they will not replace. Our dealer reckons they have had a batch of these recently so probably a manufacturing fault.

I expect the warranty for all components other than the compressor was 12 months. One day over and it's out of warranty. Any manufacturer would operate the same way...out of warranty by one day or 1000 days, it's still out of it's warranty period.

Now the compressor will have a 5 year or longer warranty, but compressors last a long time...plenty much like compressors in your refrigerator where the compressor could easily last for decades.

I have lived my whole life in warm-hot climates (54 years) and Daikin is the only air conditioner for me. You can use them all the time and there are rarely issues. Seems to me whether it is in an office, hotel or rented apartment the LG, Samsung, Mitsubishis are the ones that I've noticed not working well.

Minnehaha    728

I would never buy Samsung a/c's again. They are the noisiet units I have experienced. I've had Daiken for the past 9 yrs in two different homes. Very happy with them. My opnion, Mitsubishu and Daiken are the best and most reliable.

i concur (and so does my A/C guy) - who will not work on Samsung units.

Niyom is good.

Bought a lot of air cons in Thailand, and had many more serviced over the years. To echo what has already been said -

When buying a unit - look at the space to be cooled, does it get direct sun, walls hot, how many people sitting in the room, any TV or computers or fridge etc etc? Is there glass windows or sliders? These are all factors when deciding BTU and or Watt needed to cool the room.

Once you know what you need - 12,000 BTU or 50,000 BTU, then go shopping.

I like Mitsubishi. In particular I like their high end Super Slim Inverter for the fairly small room I use as office. It is excellent - very quiet, works perfectly, dont even feel the air moving most of the time.

I have another in the bedroom. I chose a different Mitsubishi for that room because I like the soft hum of the sound it makes because of some street noise. This has worked out well.

I bought a Carrier 50,000 BTU Ceiling unit for living room when we bought the place. It has a lot of glass and is quite large. This was a mistake. The machine is extremely LOUD with air whooshing and when the compressor kicks on it can wake the dead. I have separated the 1 ton compressor from the balcony wall, so it is not touching it and this has reduced the vibration a bit. But overall, this was a mistake. I got bad advice.

Now I would buy 2 quiet super slim Mitsubishi units for this same space and live with the wall mount. I think Thais are used to this style and manufacturers make good ones as well.

Service is critically important. Do it every 6 months at least, more if you use it more often or during the rainy season / hot season. Getting service for the ceiling mount is never easy. Most guys 'dont do it' and will only wash the compressor outside.

Mitsubishi make great machines. Like Honda. They make great motors and have huge success with everything from cars to motorcycles to snow blowers to generators. Same with Mitsubishi. In my opinion, Samsung are generally OK, but they are targeting the low price range for a reason. And as with anything, now a days more than ever, cheaper means lower quality parts and workmanship. Simple. And I have had Samsung air con for 8 or 9 years with no problems. They were loud and temperamental at the end.

konisaan    39

Whatever brand you end up buying, make sure it's and inverter type. It will save you money long run and you will be much more comfortable because it keeps the temperature more constant.