gprit

Building a wall around property cost

67 posts in this topic

Ive been quoted 1,000 baht per m @ 2m high plus material. 

Total length of the wall is 173m

This is in Saraburi.

Does it sound right?

ID: 62   Posted (edited)

On 01.09.2016 at 5:57 AM, Gary A said:

You should buy the materials yourself and get a price per meter for the labor. We had walls built around two different properties. The second time, the contractor came and needed more material. That was pretty fishy because we had experience from the first time. Sometime after the wall was completed he added on to his house, no doubt with material stolen from us.

in real estate (or construction issues etc)....be it with Thai's or farangs, you just always...always need to be around them...and never...never to fully trust them!....this is the first rule of the thumb!!......

this is no more the usual thai vs farang bashing issue....this is real estate/construction guy vs home owner!!...

Thai's also get ripped off and naturally a farang will get scamed too, but with the farang double pricing rate!

if possible, use your Thai wife/GF/LongTime/Inhousemaid to negotiate in Thai for the price....and remain invisible until the price is fully fixed...:cheesy:

Edited by observer90210

ID: 63   Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, misterphil said:

Ive been quoted 1,000 baht per m @ 2m high plus material. 

Total length of the wall is 173m

This is in Saraburi.

Does it sound right?

It's been a number of years since we walled in two properties and there has been inflation. Even at that, we paid 400 baht per meter. I doubt the price has more than doubled.

ADDED - I should also say that price did not include rendering or painting. We didn't have the wall rendered or painted.

Edited by Gary A

I see this old chestnut has resurfaced...

When comparing prices you need to ask: how high are the walls, how deep the foundations, how frequent the posts...etc...is it rendered or painted on either side. Significantly, is the ground the same level on both sides. 

A 2m high unfinished block wall with 5m post spacings will be significantly cheaper than a painted/finished 2m high wall on 2m post spacings with 1.5m deep foundations, supporting 0.5m of uneven ground.   Probably around 4-5x, or even more... 

Do you want razor wire on-top & guard towers at the corners....?

I had quotes that varied by 3x for a simple 1m high barbed wire fencing on precast concrete posts.....

A reasonably good "rule-of-thumb" for any building work in Thailand is that labour will be approximately equal to the cost of materials.... but bear in mind this is just a finger in the air starting point..

5 hours ago, steve73 said:

I see this old chestnut has resurfaced...

When comparing prices you need to ask: how high are the walls, how deep the foundations, how frequent the posts...etc...is it rendered or painted on either side. Significantly, is the ground the same level on both sides. 

A 2m high unfinished block wall with 5m post spacings will be significantly cheaper than a painted/finished 2m high wall on 2m post spacings with 1.5m deep foundations, supporting 0.5m of uneven ground.   Probably around 4-5x, or even more... 

Do you want razor wire on-top & guard towers at the corners....?

I had quotes that varied by 3x for a simple 1m high barbed wire fencing on precast concrete posts.....

A reasonably good "rule-of-thumb" for any building work in Thailand is that labour will be approximately equal to the cost of materials.... but bear in mind this is just a finger in the air starting point..

Razor wire and guard towers is where I work. I dont want them at my home lol

IMG_9400.JPG

I just completed a concrete block wall around my property in Thailand which is pretty large. It cost about $6000 US. Came out very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

14 hours ago, bill59 said:

I just completed a concrete block wall around my property in Thailand which is pretty large. It cost about $6000 US. Came out very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

How many meters?

Any photos to share?