webfact

Total Immersion – An Expats View after 10 years in Thailand

117 posts in this topic

ID: 24   Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

Must be a different Thailand from the one I live in, cos I read everyday threads in the news section about that violence and nastiness.

An individual can only be pissed on and told that it's raining for a set period of time. The same goes for a society. The individual or society that's wet, and knows deep inside that it ain't raining, will eventually start to lash out, and will do so until he/she/it figures out exactly what is the source of his/her/its discomfort. Then, guess what happens?  Buckle up, mate. This is only phase two. However, were you to take away the antagonist(s), then the individual and society return to his/her/its natural path of self-actualization, which in general, manifests a much more beneficent experience, overall.  It'll happen, but it's going to be a while.

Edited by Songlaw
2 people like this

They say to live you life as if it was your last day on earth, one day though, you be right....

Immersion?

You are joking ?

Go to AUA Bangkok and get some immersion.

Then live in a village.

See how that grabs you.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

I read a couple of paragraphs and could not be asked to do anymore.  Skimmed through the bullet points.

Yeah, yeah, yeah -  Self nominations for sainthood are now open.

and so are nominations for Gobble Prize "boring people to death with pages of irrelevant and utter drivel advice not applicable to the majority of  the resident audience" :coffee1:

12 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

Must be a different Thailand from the one I live in, cos I read everyday threads in the news section about that violence and nastiness.

Try getting off your backside and away from your computer and seeing real  life.

1 person likes this

Sorry buddy but you can't start the naturalization process. Why mention it apart to sound superior.

You don't even have the Tabien bahn(Yellow Book) or the 3 years paying tax on over 40k.

It was an interesting read, unfortunately a lot about what he wanted and did, a sort of self congratulatory article, attempting to educate us poor uneducated seniors who shoyld know better. Some good points, learning Thai and more interaction.

Food, after 15 years eaten Thai food , it does not agree with me some does but sitting on the floor , fine occasionally but not all the time, many of my Thai friends use tables and chairs as well.

Air-con goes without sayin g 5000 a month as opposed to 1400 a month for electric makes common-sense.

If it suits him so-be it ,but for many of us we have learnt to live and let live, as integration is obvious that assimilation into Thai society is very hard, also losing his British nationality would be a retrograde step as movement around the world will be harder.

But to each his own, not for me.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, hobobo said:

3,378 words! Words of infinte wisdom, and a subtle mockery of everyone else. What a lot of drivel!

Do you live in Thailand?

I thought that what the op wrote was very good. Its certainly not 'drivel'...

but maybe you are one of the 'many fools' on here that only wants negativaty, so they can boost their impotent ego.

1 person likes this

Bryan , is your effort to learn the language better quite recent? 28 hrs tuition per week would seem a lot after 10 years . I enjoyed the article, thanks for posting.

1 person likes this

ID: 37   Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, hobobo said:

3,378 words! Words of infinte wisdom, and a subtle mockery of everyone else. What a lot of drivel!

Well done  counting all them words. 10 out of 10  for endurance .  :thumbsup:

Cant take a western bar owner to serious on Tv :coffee1:

Edited by onemorechang
1 person likes this

After almost 13 years living in Thailand I do agree on most of the OP's post.

Thai food: Not my favorite especially when lemon-grass or fermented fish-sauce is involved, but luckily there are some nice Thai dishes. I found a good balance between Thai food and Western food,  self-cooked or ready made .

Thai language:  I should be able by now to read, write, speak and understand Thai 90%, but unfortunately I'm not. If I'm trying most Thais say "Phood kaeng kaeng", but that's more a kind way of saying: The bugger is doing his best, but we've no clue what he's on about.

Thai time and appointments:  I've learned that having an appointment at 9 a.m. means that the actual meeting time is somewhere between 9 a.m. and 9.59 a.m.; as long as the "9" is used, they're in time. Was not easy to accept with my 50% German genes. However, more and more Thais manage to be in time for appointments and that's probably due to the smart use of smart-phones.

Thai attitude:  The Thai's attitude and social behavior is pretty selfish and ignorant. Not only towards foreigners, but towards other Thais as well. Was not easy to deal with, but after almost 13 years I got used to it. It doesn't mean that I now slam the door in other people's faces or leave a full tray of waste at a KFC table.

Corruption:  That's something I'll never get used to. "Under the table deals", paying off officials, paying off police.....I just don't understand the 'game'. I don't seem to recognize the moment to make a 'deal'.

Thai discussion:  I've learned that Thais like to argue until the moment that they're about to loose (face). There will be a silence which should be respected or in other words: If the Thai become silent during an argument, stop arguing. There will be no more replies and it's if you're talking to a wall. Depending on the severeness this silence may last a few days until suddenly all is forgotten and fine again. This is not the moment to start the argument again......."Let it be!"

Having an argument with unknown Thais (e.g. in a bar or disco) will mostly result in a win on your side and the Thai opponent will leave the "battle-field" with a big smile, but watch out, he may return with (armed) forces and win the argument in his own way.

2 people like this

22 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Well done  counting all them words. 10 out of 10  for endurance .  :thumbsup:

Cant take a western bar owner to serious on Tv :coffee1:

Luckily Microsoft Word can still count the words, I would have fallen off my bar stool before the end 55555

1 person likes this