webfact

Total Immersion – An Expats View after 10 years in Thailand

117 posts in this topic

So now this guy is giving tips on total immersion in thai culture?

funny....his site is all about expat bingo player bar and gogo managers talking up whoring prices and barfines in pattaya. 

On 9/26/2016 at 10:02 AM, webfact said:

For instance Thais often say “wait 5 minutes” they translate this to our language and we take it as accurate approximation, otherwise they would have said 10 or 20 minutes right? Well they say 5 minutes to anything, so it could be 30 minutes lol But now I understand that I can deal with it by doing some work on my phone or going away and coming back. There are too many benefits to list from learning the language of the country you stay in and you often underestimate it until you start learning but if you want a better chance of happiness and satisfaction here, its better to talk to the locals and you will find a lot better prices around and maybe people that can help you.

it does not take Thai language proficiency to find out in no time that 5 minutes might mean an hour and 2 days might mean a week. and if happiness and satisfaction depends in your case on being fluent in Thai you have my profound sympathy. i also have strong doubts that when paying for your shopping in Foodland, Friendship, Tesco or Villa Market you get a discount when making small talk with the cashier.

1 person likes this

Sorry but total immersion is not for me.  I live in Thailand because of all the choices available to me . You can have the best of both worlds. Eating thai food on a mat on the floor is maybe cozy for some but I find it very uncomfortable.  I need some luxury that reminds me of the western world.   Still we can enjoy life here and be respectful to each other, understanding the culture is a part of it , but you don't have to swallow it. 

2 people like this

Sorry buddy but you can't start the naturalization process. Why mention it apart to sound superior.
You don't even have the Tabien bahn(Yellow Book) or the 3 years paying tax on over 40k.

I don't think the Yellow Book is relevant to the process.If PR is seen as the stepping stone to naturalisation I think the monthly income required would in practice be greatly in excess of the theoretical minimum.

I had an acquaintance seeking PR who thought he could beat the system by paying over a small amount of tax.He failed.

I may be wrong but I don't think Pattaya bar people are very high up the list of priorities for PR or naturalisation.

On 9/27/2016 at 10:48 PM, Naam said:

it does not take Thai language proficiency to find out in no time that 5 minutes might mean an hour and 2 days might mean a week. and if happiness and satisfaction depends in your case on being fluent in Thai you have my profound sympathy. i also have strong doubts that when paying for your shopping in Foodland, Friendship, Tesco or Villa Market you get a discount when making small talk with the cashier.

Learning the language of the country you are living in is a waste of time according to you. This speaks volumes. No need to say any more.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

I don't think the Yellow Book is relevant to the process.If PR is seen as the stepping stone to naturalisation I think the monthly income required would in practice be greatly in excess of the theoretical minimum.

I had an acquaintance seeking PR who thought he could beat the system by paying over a small amount of tax.He failed.

I may be wrong but I don't think Pattaya bar people are very high up the list of priorities for PR or naturalisation.

It's double  going that route - monthly income of 80,000 baht, which isn't really that hard. 

This guy is going the marriage route but hasn't got the minimum requirements and won't have for a few years to even apply.

16 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Learning the language of the country you are living in is a waste of time according to you. This speaks volumes. No need to say any more.

i never claimed it's a waste of time. but i find claims ridiculous that speaking Thai is required

if you want a better chance of happiness and satisfaction here and a lot of better prices

i speak, read and write four languages fluently and can make myself understood in another three. and during nearly 12 years of living permanently in Thailand i was always able to manage using a little patience. that's enough reason for me to reject advice from boys who have never achieved something in their lives but aim "to live like Thais".

2 people like this

ID: 53   Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Naam said:

i never claimed it's a waste of time. but i find claims ridiculous that speaking Thai is required

i speak, read and write four languages fluently and can make myself understood in another three. and during nearly 12 years of living permanently in Thailand i was always able to manage using a little patience. that's enough reason for me to reject advice from boys who have never achieved something in their lives but aim "to live like Thais".

On many threads you have said that there are no advantages to learning the Thai language.

Ok, so you claim to be a linguist. Please tell us if you 1- Can't learn Thai or 2 - Won't learn Thai. 12 years is a long time, especially if you are retired.

English isn't one of your fluent languages as can be seen by your writing.  I wonder if you are actually fluent in any languages apart from whatever your native one is.

Do you consider yourself fluent in English?

What an arrogant thing to say, "  advice from boys who have never achieved anything in their lives".  You have no idea what other member have achieved.  Let me remind you that flaming is against forum rules.

Edited by Johnniey
1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

On many threads you have said that there are no advantages to learning the Thai language.

Ok, so you claim to be a linguist. Please tell us if you 1- Can't learn Thai or 2 - Won't learn Thai. 12 years is a long time, especially if you are retired.

English isn't one of your fluent languages as can be seen by your writing.  I wonder if you are actually fluent in any languages apart from whatever your native one is.

Do you consider yourself fluent in English?

Naam's written English is quite fluent, even with some traces of German structure.  I also believe him on his other language achievements, which I respect.  I am sure he could learn Thai if he wished, but it's quite obviously not necessary.  Bill Heinecke has become a billionaire in Thailand without knowing more than 100 words of Thai.

On the other hand, I do have my doubts about your own language ability.  You apparently fail to grasp, for instance, that the word "fluent" does not mean "like a native"  nor does it mean "without any accent." 

Learning Thai is a fine thing, but in itself doesn't prevent a jerk from being a jerk.

2 people like this

ID: 55   Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

Naam's written English is quite fluent, even with some traces of German structure.  I also believe him on his other language achievements, which I respect.  I am sure he could learn Thai if he wished, but it's quite obviously not necessary.  Bill Heinecke has become a billionaire in Thailand without knowing more than 100 words of Thai.

On the other hand, I do have my doubts about your own language ability.  You apparently fail to grasp, for instance, that the word "fluent" does not mean "like a native"  nor does it mean "without any accent." 

Learning Thai is a fine thing, but in itself doesn't prevent a jerk from being a jerk.

You doubt my language ability? I am a native speaker. Are you saying native speakers are not fluent?

Any fluent English writer knows how and when to use the "Present Perfect tense", for example.

Bill Heinecke is Thai and not being able to speak Thai after living here for over 40 years is hardly something to admire him for.  Maybe he speaks other languages fluently though :cheesy:

BTW, are you calling me a jerk, the OP, or Nam?

I wonder what Nam thinks about people living in Germany for 12 years and not bothering to try to learn German. I'd really like to hear thoughts on this.

Edited by Johnniey

Please discuss the topic not other members,

1 person likes this

On 9/26/2016 at 2:48 PM, alocacoc said:

I'm sure, everyone can create his own happiness regardless of the Country he stays. It's all about our mind.

Yes, a friend of mine is having a fabulous life in Aleppo

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Johnniey said:

I wonder what Nam thinks about people living in Germany for 12 years and not bothering to try to learn German. I'd really like to hear thoughts on this.

my thoughts: "i couldn't care less!"

2 people like this

53 minutes ago, Naam said:

my thoughts: "i couldn't care less!"

Thanks for replying to one of my questions, whether it is the truth or not. 1 out of 3 ain't bad as Meat Loaf said, or was it 2.

10 years, and you still struggle to understand childish Thai TV shows? Have yet to try durian? It's great, but buy it with an expert, unripe, or over-ripe it's horrible. And if you get it wrong you waste a lot of money. Sorry, the concept of 'face' should never be defended by someone who one day wants to see Thailand develop. Thai nationality? No Thanks!  Girlfriends since the age of 14??????