Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
NACHALUAY

thai id card for foreigners

I have read various helpful posts on this subject, but my local Amphur will not issue me with an id card, even though they issued me with the yellow book 3 months ago.

I think the only chance I have , of getting this pink card, is if I can show them an official notice, in Thai, stating that I am entitled to one. Can anyone out there send me a copy of such a notice, of info on how I can get it.

hi ubonjoe

I showed this document to a friend who understands English, and it appears that it is dated 2551 i.e. 2008, and seems to refer to id cards for Thais.  What I am looking for is a letter that the minister of internal affairs sent out to all tessaban and amphoes dated february this year (2559  i.e. 2016).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NACHALUAY said:

hi ubonjoe

I showed this document to a friend who understands English, and it appears that it is dated 2551 i.e. 2008, and seems to refer to id cards for Thais.  What I am looking for is a letter that the minister of internal affairs sent out to all tessaban and amphoes dated february this year (2559  i.e. 2016).

It is not only for Thais. It has info is about yellow house books and ID cards. It refers to the civil registration act  of 2551. Others have used it to prove it is possible to get the ID card.

I am not aware of any of any letter sent out by the minister of interior this year.

• Like 1

I don't know if you have a Thai speaker to help you, if so you could try phoning:
Bora (Bureau Of Registration Administration) on 1567, also 02-791-7000
I got my wife to check with them about requirements for the card. When she queried some details, they gave her a phone number of a public(?) lawyer in Bangkok who gave her very precise information over the phone for free, even contradicting some erroneous details from Bora (unfortunately I didn’t keep that number).

If you’re still struggling there’s always the Office Of The Ombudsman on 1676, also 02-141-9100
I see a couple of TV members posted here that they used them when refused application for the Pink ID card. On one occasion it took 24 hours and the amphur contacted the applicant directly in order to apply again for the card  -  successfully.

• Thanks 2

I have ploughed through the BORA regs in the past and there is a separate thread about pink IDs.  The and the short is that under amendments to the Civil Registration Act in 2008:

1) District offices are obliged to register all foreigners considered long term residents in their districts and issue them with yellow books (TR13).  There is no definition of long term but I believe that anyone not on a tourist or transit visa qualifies.

2) District offices are obliged to issue pink ID cards to foreigners residing in their districts who have been granted permanent residence and are in blue books (TR14). 

So for farangs there is no way to be in a yellow book and have a pink ID card.  I think  would apply only minorities who don't have Thai nationality or permanent residence.  The pink ID is actually designed for them and has wording on the back prohibiting travel outside their district. Oddly enough permanent residents that can persuade their DO to issue them with the pink card get the same card with the same wording on the back.  But many DOs refuse to issue the card to PRs, despite the legal requirement to do so, for reasons better known to themselves. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Arkady said:

So for farangs there is no way to be in a yellow book and have a pink ID card.  I think  would apply only minorities who don't have Thai nationality or permanent residence.  The pink ID is actually designed for them and has wording on the back prohibiting travel outside their district. Oddly enough permanent residents that can persuade their DO to issue them with the pink card get the same card with the same wording on the back.  But many DOs refuse to issue the card to PRs, despite the legal requirement to do so, for reasons better known to themselves. 

I thought that was mainly the point of most people applying for the pink ID card - as you said, those without Thai nationality or PR.

I'd never really looked at the wording on the back before, the part about travelling outside of the area where the card was issed/covers.

IIRC I think there was some wording similar to this on the ID card issued to hilltribes, etc - the one with the pink diagonal line across it -  prohibiting travel/work outside of the area?

Edited by bluesofa

What I did today.
Yellow book, passport and copies.

Answering a couple of questions, fingerprinting, taking photo.

11 minutes ago, sumrit said:

In order to obtain a pink ID card a foreigner must first be in possession of a yellow Tabien Baan. 

Sure and this is the bigger hurdle usually (translations etc.).

Yellow book includes name in Thai script and assigning citizen id (starting with "6" in my case as a "temporary foreigner").

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

This is the card that I got today.

(serial 0000002, seems I am only the second "farang" who got one in our remote upcountry district)

I live on retirement extension (although married to Thai wife).

I have a yellow book since 2013.

A mate in a neighboring district with the same situation has got his ID card about a month ago (I have seen it).

pink_card_pixelated.jpg

Is the ID number on your pink card the same 13-digit ID number (เลขประจําตัวประชาชน) you have in the yellow house registration book? Or is the number on the card only 12 digits long?

• Like 1

LOL, number 3 on the rear of the card stipulates that the holder is not allowed to leave the area in which the card was issued !!

Even less reason to get one.

10 hours ago, Maestro said:

Is the ID number on your pink card the same 13-digit ID number (เลขประจําตัวประชาชน) you have in the yellow house registration book? Or is the number on the card only 12 digits long?

Exactly the same 13 digits (the citizen ID).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1