Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
NACHALUAY

thai id card for foreigners

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

For the skeptical towards the Thai ID, I see a definate advantage that consists in avoiding having to carry a copy or an original of your passport all around...just for this (and surely for other reasons I ignore at the moment), I would consider the pink ID card worth the trip!

 

You seem to misunderstand. If the Police stop you the card won't help they still ask for your passport. Many of us carry a credit card size copy of our passport one side and the visa on the other in plastic.  You are dreaming if you think this card will help you much unless you are lucky. Banks, Insurance Companies, international travel, hotels will not accept it. You are NOT a citizen of Thailand and so must produce your legal passport (or copy). which should be carried with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2017 at 10:26 AM, LannaGuy said:

Come on you know you are in the 00000000000000000000.1%  and are just showing off that you have PR. Congratulations!   but 99.999999999999999999999% of us don't have PR

 

On 9/11/2017 at 1:51 PM, blackcab said:

 

You are in the distinct, but very privaledged minority. If you had mentioned you had PR in your post my reply would have been different.

 

As it stands, out of the many millions of non Thai people in Thailand, permanent residents make up a very small percentage.

 

Personally I think PRs should have their own type of ID card just for them. It would make life easier for PR holders, hotels, banks and just about everyone else. Trying to explain about the number 8 on the pink ID card is always going to be hard work.

Sorry, I thought the pink ID is only available to PR holders, as mine says (in Thai) that the holder is a Permanent Resident. I should have read more of the thread before replying.

 

My apologies.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, onthemoon said:

 

Sorry, I thought the pink ID is only available to PR holders, as mine says (in Thai) that the holder is a Permanent Resident. I should have read more of the thread before replying.

 

My apologies.

Ah that explains it, easy mistake, thanks for clarifying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

You are NOT a citizen of Thailand and so must produce your legal passport (or copy). which should be carried with you.

 

Incorrect, you must produce your passport to the relevant authority in a reasonable amount of time - you do NOT have to carry it at all times.

 

Producing a copy is of no use at all, far too easily photoshopped, (that is not to say some authorities may accept it - possibly a roadside police stop, but not for anything official).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

 

Incorrect, you must produce your passport to the relevant authority in a reasonable amount of time - you do NOT have to carry it at all times.

 

Producing a copy is of no use at all, far too easily photoshopped, (that is not to say some authorities may accept it - possibly a roadside police stop, but not for anything official).

 

I did not say legally 'have to' I said 'should'.  I do and get stopped, and show my small copy, and whilst all the others are fiddling around and have to go home then the Police Station I don't. Main page on one side - visa on the other encased in plastic CC sized. Made 6 copies. One for bike, one for car, one for wallet, one in computer bag, and two spare. You know it makes sense Rodders. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

 

You seem to misunderstand. If the Police stop you the card won't help they still ask for your passport. Many of us carry a credit card size copy of our passport one side and the visa on the other in plastic.  You are dreaming if you think this card will help you much unless you are lucky. Banks, Insurance Companies, international travel, hotels will not accept it. You are NOT a citizen of Thailand and so must produce your legal passport (or copy). which should be carried with you.

The regular traffic BIB are stopping people to do roadside checks, such as a valid licence, tax, compulsory insurance, not your Immigration status.

 

You need a magnifying glass to read those credit card copies of passports.

 

I live in area where I'm regularly stopped at least twice a week at Police checkpoints.

Driving licence, tax disc and production of my Thai ID card (which impresses) always ensures I continue my journey unhindered.

I carry full size copies of my Passport, TM6 and latest extension stamp, but they have never been requested.

 

You may not be a Thai citizen, but to obtain the Thai ID card you have successfully registered as a civilian in Thailand and given an ID number to boot. Your details can be checked by any government agency via that ID number.

Edited by Tanoshi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

The regular traffic BIB are stopping people to do roadside checks, such as a valid licence, tax, compulsory insurance, not your Immigration status.

 

You need a magnifying glass to read those credit card copies of passports.

 

I live in area where I'm regularly stopped at least twice a week at Police checkpoints.

Driving licence, tax disc and production of my Thai ID card (which impresses) always ensures I continue my journey unhindered.

I carry full size copies of my Passport, TM6 and latest extension stamp, but they have never been requested.

 

You may not be a Thai citizen, but to obtain the Thai ID card you have successfully registered as a civilian in Thailand and given an ID number to boot. Your details can be checked by any government agency via that ID number.

 

Well I carry both so a bit like Elvis when someone said to him

 

"Hey Elvis why that chain around your kneck has Star of David, Cross and Tao?"

 

Elvis "Well I like to have insurance"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

and production of my Thai ID card (which impresses)

 

Seriously? You are deluded if you think your alien ID card impresses anyone.

 

"Driving licence,"

 

If you are showing your driving licence, why on earth would you be showing your alien ID card too? Both are photo IDs - guessing you are trying to impress.

Edited by pearciderman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

went today to the tessaban to get a kor ror 22 (confirmation of marriage) for purposes of a marriage extension of stay at immigration...and then the supervisor he sez: 'what you need is one of these!' and he produces a blank yellow tambien baan to illustrate...

 

they did all the necessary on the spot (had the wife and the step daughter with me and they both had their documents, me with passport and thai DL) and went back after lunch to collect the the completed yellow book and the pink ID card...

 

and then I sez: 'what about the kor ror 22?' and the deputy looks up and sez: 'oh, yeah...ye gots to go down the road to the amphur fer that...'...

 

no kidding...I thought that the tessaban and the amphur were the same but apparently not...but now I can stride confidently right up to the counter at the amphur with marriage certificate, yellow book and pink ID card in hand and say: 'I'll have one of them kor ror 22, please...'

 

 

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

went today to the tessaban to get a kor ror 22 (confirmation of marriage) for purposes of a marriage extension of stay at immigration...and then the supervisor he sez: 'what you need is one of these!' and he produces a blank yellow tambien baan to illustrate...

 

they did all the necessary on the spot (had the wife and the step daughter with me and they both had their documents, me with passport and thai DL) and went back after lunch to collect the the completed yellow book and the pink ID card...

 

and then I sez: 'what about the kor ror 22?' and the deputy looks up and sez: 'oh, yeah...ye gots to go down the road to the amphur fer that...'...

 

no kidding...I thought that the tessaban and the amphur were the same but apparently not...but now I can stride confidently right up to the counter at the amphur with marriage certificate, yellow book and pink ID card in hand and say: 'I'll have one of them kor ror 22, please...'

 

 

 

got the kor ror 22 today from the amphur for which they took photocopies of my new yellow book, pink ID card AND my US passport...as well as marriage certificate issued by the Thai embassy in the UAE and wife's documents...

 

 

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just carry my pink ID card and my drivers license. Fly around in thailand, show id for hotel bookings, get stopped by traffic cops, never needed anything else. Never carry my passport with me... absolutely not needed for any purpose when you have the pink ID

Funny thing happened when I wanted to buy a new sim card, prepaid for my son. Could not do at the sales counter at the AIS shop but had to go to their 'regular' shop in the same mall if I wanted to use the pink ID...Only time I was asked to produce my passport and I still think it was the unfamiliarity of the sales lady rather than the ID itself that was confusing....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2017 at 7:23 PM, tutsiwarrior said:

went today to the tessaban to get a kor ror 22 (confirmation of marriage) for purposes of a marriage extension of stay at immigration...and then the supervisor he sez: 'what you need is one of these!' and he produces a blank yellow tambien baan to illustrate...

 

they did all the necessary on the spot (had the wife and the step daughter with me and they both had their documents, me with passport and thai DL) and went back after lunch to collect the the completed yellow book and the pink ID card...

 

and then I sez: 'what about the kor ror 22?' and the deputy looks up and sez: 'oh, yeah...ye gots to go down the road to the amphur fer that...'...

 

no kidding...I thought that the tessaban and the amphur were the same but apparently not...but now I can stride confidently right up to the counter at the amphur with marriage certificate, yellow book and pink ID card in hand and say: 'I'll have one of them kor ror 22, please...'

 

 

Really got the yellow tabien baan and the pink ID at the tessa baan, that is very uncommon as it normally can only be produced by Amphur.

Tessa Baan is there for SSO services only normally

Given the fact that you were confused about Tessa Baan and Amphur being the same I would ask the wife again where you actuall got it from LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jumbo said:

Really got the yellow tabien baan and the pink ID at the tessa baan, that is very uncommon as it normally can only be produced by Amphur.

Tessa Baan is there for SSO services only normally

Given the fact that you were confused about Tessa Baan and Amphur being the same I would ask the wife again where you actuall got it from LOL

 

the confusion resulted from many posters stating that they had gone to the tessaban/amphur for the kor ror 22 for their marriage extension of stay...if you see my other post I obtained the kor ror 22 from the amphur the next day after obtaining the yellow book and ID card from the tessaban where I had originally gone for the kor ror 22...

 

we live next to the tessaban premises and our neighborhood is referred to as 'tessaban'...the amphur is a couple of miles away and is where the district police headquarters resides...

 

could be that along with immigration offices, banks, etc. there is no consistency to how individual districts in Thailand choose to arrange things...TiT...'LOL'...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

having looked at this thread

 

 

it looks like many have obtained the yellow book and pink ID card from their district amphur...in my case it was different, the local municipality (tessebaan) issued these documents...good to keep in mind in the event that either office claims not to know what yer talkin' about when applying for these documents...

 

remember: yellow book first then ID card as the personal ID number from the yellow book is then used for the ID card...and the yellow book document requirements are what a lot of folks have problems with...I was fortunate as the tessebaan folks were very helpful and friendly...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 23 November 2017 21:55
Sponsors
×