Thailand Forum
NACHALUAY

thai id card for foreigners

bluesofa    234
7 minutes ago, jumbo said:

no need to carry your passport as ID when out and about, boarding planes (domestic), official applications of any sort  (TV, Phone, VISA, DL)

registrating of benefits cards and loyalty plans. all things are dealt with much smoother...Thai seems for some reason more open to this ID than my foreign passport. 

I think unfortunately it will still take some time before it's not only accepted, but understood by locals generally.

I was in Big C (Udon) with my wife and son, she spotted a mobile phone in the DTAC shop there that our son was keen on.

She asked the staff about it, then realised neither she or our son had any ID to apply for a particular account option on offer with the phone.

Then remembering how boring and organised I was, knew I would have my Pink ID on me. She asked the staff to open an account in my name. Staff looked at my card totally confused, and refused.

We walked away after my wife telling them that I had two AIS accounts (mobile and fiber) using the same card, they still weren't interested.

When I asked around later,  someone else on TV had successfully opened a DTAC account with the Pink ID card, but not in Udon.

jumbo    67

I booked in the Pannarai Hotel a week ago, with the pink ID card...

But I understand your point... 

I was at the local bank and changed some USD back to THB, could not use the ID

bluesofa    234
1 minute ago, jumbo said:

I booked in the Pannarai Hotel a week ago, with the pink ID card...

But I understand your point... 

I was at the local bank and changed some USD back to THB, could not use the ID

Ha ha, that's really funny, as yesterday I went into Krung Thai Bank in Big C Udon and changed 100 Euros into Baht with only my pink ID. The staff didn't look surprised to see it.

Which bank did you go into?

As I said in my previous post, some people understand it, others don't.

I have a Thai I'd card and yellow book. Difficult to get having to take 3 Thai guarantors from my village. The big issue here is what can I use it for. I still have to report address to immigration every 90 days. It was not accepted for renewal of 5 year driving licence proof of address so for me it has no use at all. 

Canada    245

Got my yellow book and ID card card in the last 2 weeks. Haven't been able to use either of them yet but happy to have them.

ghworker2010    333
On 10/3/2016 at 8:37 PM, KhunBENQ said:

What I did today.
Yellow book, passport and copies.

Answering a couple of questions, fingerprinting, taking photo.

Sure and this is the bigger hurdle usually (translations etc.).

Yellow book includes name in Thai script and assigning citizen id (starting with "6" in my case as a "temporary foreigner").

Can anyone tell me the benefit of having the Pink id card? Is it worth obtaining? If so why exactly?

phetpeter    44

If you are right about no:3 it would relate in the Thai way that the card confirms where you are living and would then become invalid should you move. and would then have to reregister in your yellow book and get a new Pink ID.

Cost me 80 baht so passport is looked away in the safe only to be seen for official immigration business.

• Like 1

phetpeter    44
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:51 PM, ghworker2010 said:

Can anyone tell me the benefit of having the Pink id card? Is it worth obtaining? If so why exactly?

Discount entry to various locations, and to impress ladies that maybe you can understand Thai

• Like 1

kamalabob2    309

The Pink Thai ID card for Foreigners has proven helpful many times in Buriram. SIM cards, post paid AIS Mobile phone service, CAT and AIS fiber internet, depositing a USA check at Bangkok Bank all go smooth with that card. I keep a photo of my Passport on my phone if the clerk needs that number. Delivery to my home from local stores seems to go better as they can read the address in Thai. Senior discount on BTS, MRT, movies with that card in my personal experience. It also shows your height in cm.  If I do not have my Government Hospital card I show the pink ID and they can quickly look up my medical records at the Government Hospital. The Yellow house book has worked perfect for many drivers licenses and registering two new vehicles in my name at the Buriram Land Transportation Office. I obtained PWA and PEA utility service in my name using my yellow house book. Years ago I obtained TOT land line phone service in my name using the yellow house book.  No TEA money for the above tasks as I was "papered', but there may be some procedures where chocolate cake for government office staff goes a long way. 

• Like 1

bluesofa    234
On 03/10/2016 at 8:37 PM, KhunBENQ said:

What I did today.
Yellow book, passport and copies.

Answering a couple of questions, fingerprinting, taking photo.

Regarding the fingerprinting (assuming that it was for the pink ID card).

When I gave my fingerprints for the card, I was told in English "fingerprints", but no specific finger to use.

I seem to remember I used my thumbs. I don't know if there's a specific finger you are supposed to use?

I'm guessing that if requested in the future, as long as I offer the same digits as I did for the ID card, that will be acceptable?

KhunBENQ    6,593

I must admit that I forgot which finger. Not sure.

Sparkles    2,253

I got one in my local Amphur office in Chiang Mai many months ago.The boss there was slightly amused why I wanted one. It has only left my wallet once at a local resort and was met with great interest and the question "Are you Thai now ?" I still had to use my passport.

I see no real use for it ,if I had to pay a lot of baht I wouldnt have bothered also its only good for CM province I was told.

They do have my finger and thumb prints now and blood group but I'm not planning any criminal behaviour:smile: 

bluesofa    234
10 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

I got one in my local Amphur office in Chiang Mai many months ago.The boss there was slightly amused why I wanted one. It has only left my wallet once at a local resort and was met with great interest and the question "Are you Thai now ?" I still had to use my passport.

Looks like they couldn't cope with the text immediately above the ID number: Identification card for people without Thai nationality.

tuk75    0

I think it practical, in case of an accident it has my address in Thai letters as well as my blood type. Also the number of the card was accepted as a taxpayer id. (TIN) I pay taxes in Thailand and get some benefits of that.

So 100 bath, its wort it.