rooster59

May ready for tough talks over Brexit

5,545 posts in this topic

Baroness Altman: It would be immoral to ignore the current EU citizens. (UK citizens already requested EU clarification and denied).

The only people using the EU citizens as bargaining chips are the Lords, absolutely no mention or priority for all this British currently residing in the EU.

Lord Howard gave a reminder to those pleading the moral high ground to get a grip..

Good job the the final decision is with the 'elected' part of the Palace of Westminster and not the dullards of the Lords..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Just to understand your point of view, some clarification is needed.

You are aware that this is not a series of agreements but an all encompassing treaty? We will not be allowed (in the words of Junkers) to cherry pick. If we fail to agree on one item, we have no treaty and all of our UK citizens in the EU are well and truly screwed.

So, if we take your moral high ground and allow full rights to all EU citizens at present in the UK, we have to accept a deal in order to protect the UK citizens in the EU. That effectively means that the EU will black mail us into submission and to accept a deal that is bad for the UK just to placate your moral compass.

Do you now understand why a one way deal is so bad?

Let's just leave it that we disagree.

I would say to the EU, we have done the right thing and we expect you to reciprocate. ANYTHING can be agreed between the parties.

But have it your way; play hardball with everybody about everything. We seem to be living in your world now and it doesn't feel so good I can tell you. So much bitterness, so much anger, so little community so little society....

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here Robin. Is it that British expats' rights in the EU won't change when we brexit?

Some rights will change, the ability to reside say from one member state to another (eg moving from france to spain), other rights will remain but may impact the expat differently. British pensioners health costs are paid for by the UK, now if  this commitment was not to be honored after brexit then the expat would be required to buy health insurance.

As for acquired rights , should law be prospective thus providing legal certainty or retrospective thus a person suffers for an act which was lawful at the time

12 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Baroness Altman: It would be immoral to ignore the current EU citizens. (UK citizens already requested EU clarification and denied).

The only people using the EU citizens as bargaining chips are the Lords, absolutely no mention or priority for all this British currently residing in the EU.

Lord Howard gave a reminder to those pleading the moral high ground to get a grip..

Good job the the final decision is with the 'elected' part of the Palace of Westminster and not the dullards of the Lords..

All the British expat groups support the amendment 

1 person likes this

ID: 3565   Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Nissan could face $620 million Brexit hit: http://tinyurl.com/hmsmwdh

No problem for St Teresa; just a little bit more squeezing the austerity budget, close a few wards, close DEFRA and Bob's your uncle. Nice fat brown envelope for Nissan ( and Honda, and Ford, and Toyota, and Peugeot.....plus an extra fat one for Jaguar Landrover because we want your inward investment but none of your pointy head Indian engineers and scientists). Never mind EU immigrant families, but we'll do a deal with the car industry upfront. Sorry numpties, back of the line....

Edited by Grouse

Support & acquiring legal approval are two different things.

I truly hope the EU do reciprocate, if anything to give peace of mind for all British citizens, however the current vibe, and consistent mindset wording from the EU and it's members has been simply to punish the U.K. especially focusing on the economic element.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Cable now below $1.23

Oh dear, we're off again. Not so much as a squawk when it was not far short of 1.26 a few days ago.

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

Just spoke to my sister and brother in law who live in Aragon, Spain. They, and all their fellow expats support The Lords. Absolutely.

18 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Support & acquiring legal approval are two different things.

I truly hope the EU do reciprocate, if anything to give peace of mind for all British citizens, however the current vibe, and consistent mindset wording from the EU and it's members has been simply to punish the U.K. especially focusing on the economic element.

Who exactly is asking for punishment? We've been through this. It's the UK dumb press winding people up. Last time, one statement from a junior French minister was unearthed and even that was not a threat per se.

The Europeans with whom I chat from time to time are more embarrassed for us than angry. We just appear silly.

1 hour ago, rockingrobin said:

All of the groups,are you sure?

Who exactly is asking for punishment? We've been through this. It's the UK dumb press winding people up. Last time, one statement from a junior French minister was unearthed and even that was not a threat per se.

The Europeans with whom I chat from time to time are more embarrassed for us than angry. We just appear silly.

Thankfully, I don't get wound up over 'any' media/press U.K. or otherwise, I seek for clarity, factual and ideally up to date relevant information.

Excuse the fact I've entered this debate rather late if previously covered however there is various sources stating how the UK should be punished following the June 23rd result, including prior warnings, scaremongering and the fact the EU wishes to make the UK and example to thwart off any other members considering the exit route.

It's fairly obvious that Brexit is being monitored globally as the issue is so serious strategically as it's unknown territory for both the UK & EU.

In summary, even Junker is finally waking up and smelling the coffee with his latest blueprint white paper: the EU, it's future. If I can supply a link I will however it's blantantly clear that a chaotic, unstable and unharmonious EU is focusing on self interests.

Lastly, were simply separating from the political EU, not leaving Europe and if some Europeans feel embarrassed about us that's their issue, I don't wish to see a damaged UK or EU relationship, working in an improved relationship with our neighbours is pragmatically ideal, however I'm a realist and fully aware of the rocky road that lays ahead for both parties involved.

15 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Thankfully, I don't get wound up over 'any' media/press U.K. or otherwise, I seek for clarity, factual and ideally up to date relevant information.

Excuse the fact I've entered this debate rather late if previously covered however there is various sources stating how the UK should be punished following the June 23rd result, including prior warnings, scaremongering and the fact the EU wishes to make the UK and example to thwart off any other members considering the exit route.

It's fairly obvious that Brexit is being monitored globally as the issue is so serious strategically as it's unknown territory for both the UK & EU.

In summary, even Junker is finally waking up and smelling the coffee with his latest blueprint white paper: the EU, it's future. If I can supply a link I will however it's blantantly clear that a chaotic, unstable and unharmonious EU is focusing on self interests.

Lastly, were simply separating from the political EU, not leaving Europe and if some Europeans feel embarrassed about us that's their issue, I don't wish to see a damaged UK or EU relationship, working in an improved relationship with our neighbours is pragmatically ideal, however I'm a realist and fully aware of the rocky road that lays ahead for both parties involved.

OK, that's a balanced view.

Some UK organs have used the term punishment when all that has been consistently stated is that the UK can not have a better deal as a non member than a member. What's wrong with that?

We've had a Goldilocks relationship with the EU to date with all our opt outs. We're still not satisfied; so should leave!

Many have have expressed their embarrassment to me. I do understand. If you have children you will also understand. But, all part of growing up.

1 person likes this

OK, that's a balanced view.

Some UK organs have used the term punishment when all that has been consistently stated is that the UK can not have a better deal as a non member than a member. What's wrong with that?

We've had a Goldilocks relationship with the EU to date with all our opt outs. We're still not satisfied; so should leave!

Many have have expressed their embarrassment to me. I do understand. If you have children you will also understand. But, all part of growing up.

Yes, my children are still growing up and very much learning about awareness, facts and life's education, some harsh truths.

To be fair, having an amicable divorce after 40+ years is highly likely to be challenging however it's achievable.

Being a non-member releases any clauses and restrictions placed upon us, having an improved global opportunity without the EU political interference.

Let's also not forget the EU's completely incapable and unfit for purpose in its current form when dealing with certain crisis.

4 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Oh dear, we're off again. Not so much as a squawk when it was not far short of 1.26 a few days ago.

2.5% drop is noisy.

12 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

2.5% drop is noisy.

But a sharp rise is a quiet as a mouse?

15 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Like I said, you only go on about Sterling when it's movement fits your remain agenda. When it rose after PM May's hard brexit announcement, your keyboard was dormant.

2 people like this

59 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Like I said, you only go on about Sterling when it's movement fits your remain agenda. When it rose after PM May's hard brexit announcement, your keyboard was dormant.

Theresa May made a hard Brexit speech on January 17. My contribution on January 17:

Do you remember all those hard brexiteer forum contributions saying that the movement of sterling signaled nothing very much?

bloomberg sterling against ftse.jpg

Srikcir and Grouse like this
  •