Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
rooster59

May ready for tough talks over Brexit

SheungWan    2,836
23 minutes ago, Grouse said:

True, but we should be negotiating wisely for the benefit of all. Looks to me that May has moved from the primacy of migration to the primacy of the economy. That's a major breakthrough IMHO. Her earlier arrogant stance just won her a cold shoulder.

I don't think she has moved at all other than some mood music to hold sterling's drop.

• Like 2

Grouse    3,963
58 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Young, yet rather wise man talking about Brexit calling to stop the blame game. 

Recommended. All of it!

• Like 1

dunroaming    3,244

I think at the moment it is posturing. It is much too early to start drawing lines in the sand by either side. 

To answer GinBoy2's question, people voted brexit overwhelmingly to stop immigration.  That was sold to them very hard by Farage,  They were also lied to about the amount of money that would be saved and then put into the NHS.  The rest of it was vague because nobody really understood all the EU bureaucracy.  Both sides lied about brexit and we will see just which side will end up being closer in the final chapter.

• Like 1

JAG    11,867
2 hours ago, Grouse said:

This is an intelligent start!

Let's hope contributors keep to the point this time.

It would be useful to discuss the finer points.

I feel Sterling is being supported as a result of May's change of tone. Issue for me is has she actually been converted to a "sensible" exit strategy?

As far as the Walloons are concerned, does anyone know what their real concerns are? Seems very late in the day.

I lived for a while in that part of Belgium, near Mons.

The Walloons principal preoccupation seemed to be with being more French than the French. As far as relationships with other nations (or provinces of Belgium) they seemed impervious to reason.

rockingrobin    975
57 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think at the moment it is posturing. It is much too early to start drawing lines in the sand by either side. 

To answer GinBoy2's question, people voted brexit overwhelmingly to stop immigration.  That was sold to them very hard by Farage,  They were also lied to about the amount of money that would be saved and then put into the NHS.  The rest of it was vague because nobody really understood all the EU bureaucracy.  Both sides lied about brexit and we will see just which side will end up being closer in the final chapter.

Taking the government stance Brexit means Brexit and the Conservative conference speeches ,the resistance to parliament, are they acknowledging lies outweigh the truth

Grouse    3,963
39 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Just been promoted to moderator have you?

Would useful contributions also mean no personal insults or denigrating the 17 million plus people who voted in favour of Brexit?

Wise guy!

Some of us are sick to death of the low level of contributions from either side. I come on TV for interesting, informative debate.

There have been two excellent pieces posted on here already. Why not look at them?

Seriously, if you're not interested in serious discussion, go elsewhere. I'm being polite. 😉

petermik    3,315
6 hours ago, Grouse said:

Wise guy!

Some of us are sick to death of the low level of contributions from either side. I come on TV for interesting, informative debate.

There have been two excellent pieces posted on here already. Why not look at them?

Seriously, if you're not interested in serious discussion, go elsewhere. I'm being polite. 😉

Grouse

Not all the contributors to TVF are as intellectually articulate as yourself so please make allowances :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Grouse    3,963

10 minutes ago, vogie said:

Maybe have a word with the Mods, see if you can have a discussion group only catering for highly intelligent people like yourself, and let the rest of the plebs battle it out between ourselves?

Good attempt at irony, but that's not a bad idea! A thread that can be read by all, but with contributions by invitation only. I'm serious; I'm bored with poorly informed shallow debate. I'm not mentioning any names, but you're no fool, you know what I am referring to. I would also like conversations restored and not truncated to just 2 comments 🙂

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

Grouse    3,963
29 minutes ago, petermik said:

Grouse

Not all the contributors to TVF are as intellectually articulate as yourself so please make allowances :thumbsup:

That's a fair comment which I accept without reservation. 🙂

ilostmypassword    6,273

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Best of luck negotiating something decent after such a stupid, self-destructive mistake.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/10/18/brexit-death-of-british-business/

I thought it was a terrific article but there's one thing that might be an internal contradiction.  It talks about one important reason that the UK is attractive to the financial industry is that the wages are lower than on the continent. Does that also apply to automobile assembly. Because the decline of the pound might well more than compensate for whatever tariffs the UK's exports are subject to.

• Like 1

lungmi    546

The British anglo-saxon culture is lost after the battle of Hastings. The Normans (Europeans) won.

The Brexiteers with their retrograded mind want a new battle of Hastings. They will lose a second time.

• Like 1