up-country_sinclair

Gun Laws in Thailand

My brother in law legally purchased a handgun about two years ago.  I've been told he has a valid license and the purchase was 100% legal.  No one in the family supported the purchase but he's an adult and there wasn't much anyone could do to stop him.  

Anyway, his less than clever girlfriend posted photos on Facebook this morning of her posing with what appears to be semi-automatic rifle.  I'm not a gun expert, but this is more or less what the gun looks like:

16246536-Semi-automatic-assault-rifle-is

To me this looks like the type of gun that is frequently used in the horrific mass shootings that occur in the US.  Is it legal for a regular Thai citizen to own a gun like this?  He's not a police officer and never spent a day in the military.  

My wife and I are currently living outside of Thailand, and when she saw the photos on the girlfriend's facebook page, she nearly had a heart attack.  She's been trying to contact her brother all day, but he's not answering his phone or responding to social media messages and emails.  The girlfriend has also gone quiet and the photos have disappeared. I'm guessing that the girlfriend posted the photos without his knowledge and he's less than pleased.  

But as I queried above, can Thais legally own this type of gun?

5 hours ago, tonray said:

Even bullet proof vests are classified as weapons of war here.

A vest is classified as a weapon in many countries.

• Haha 1

What's the big deal girlfriend messed up, why the fuss his had the hand gun 2 years already.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, happynthailand said:

"NO",that type of gun is a war weapon,Thai citizen's can't own a weapon like that

True but i think you can buy em at wallmart in USA

• Like 1

Equal or greater than 12 inch long and greater than 1 hp power chainsaw is illegal and need permit to use in Thailand!

Edited by playboy
  • Like 2

Since I am a guest in this country, I abide by all the rules. Even the rules I consider to be silly. I want to stay here. For the past couple of years I have been trying to legally buy and possess an air rifle. I still have not been able to buy one.

6 hours ago, Don Mega said:
11 hours ago, tonray said:

Even bullet proof vests are classified as weapons of war here.

A vest is classified as a weapon in many countries.

Not in the US... Sure no one will be surprised though.