JimmyJ

Similar city as alternative to Chang Mai to avoid air problems?

112 posts in this topic

ID: 46   Posted (edited)

I remember many visits to Dalat and other places in the Vietnamese central highlands where I was impressed with the soil, geography and lower heat/humidity of the general area..., as compared to the coastal plane of VN. I think there can also be smoky times in the central highlands too, but coastal breezes can and do reach this area to more easily blow away any settled smoke.
Personally, in my not so humble opine..., my home area - the wine region's of the Margaret River catchment, in south Western Australia is a very healthy place to live...., although it may not be to healthy on your hip pocket nerve if you have to start from scratch.
Good fortune to you sir  :wai:

Edited by Sandy Freckle
2 people like this

I think it would help to be able to speak some Thai in Issan

Udon isn't all red dirt roads and toothless farmers...

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

1 person likes this

I live here.
most of the year is fine.
i avoid March April and some of May though....I just take a holiday elsewhere.
everyone is different of course but I couldn't compare Phuket or Jomtien with Chiang Mai myself.
Chiang Mai is a Thai city that welcomes tourists...the other places are tourist places...the feeling there is overwhelmingly tourist.

Pattaya does have large areas that are mostly local but essentially you're correct.

Traffic is much more of a problem than air pollution in CM...

just avoid march and april - May is extremely hot but air pollution lessened...feb is starting to show signs of air pollution which is unfortunate...

best time for CM - June thru January...find another place to reside for feb - may until June rains...

2 people like this

11 minutes ago, puukao said:

the pollution will shorten your life, that is a 99% certainty unless you have some bad luck....

but you will save 100 baht!!!  

people are healthier in mild climates with good air...... go figure!!

but here you can meet your wife in 11-minutes and she really love you!!!!  

🙄

4 hours ago, puukao said:

the pollution will shorten your life, that is a 99% certainty unless you have some bad luck....

but you will save 100 baht!!!  

people are healthier in mild climates with good air...... go figure!!

Yes, that's certainly true....assuming you exercise regularly, don't eat fatty or fried foods, eat your vegetables, avoid sweets, don't smoke, don't drink in excess, don't get stressed out, wear sun protection, get your flu shots, drink lots of water, watch your cholesterol and triglyceride levels, take your vitamins, etc., etc.  Oh nevermind. 

2 people like this

C'mon mom.  You don't have to do everything in order to benefit from some things. 

ID: 56   Posted (edited)

On 11/9/2016 at 6:45 AM, daveAustin said:

Escaping the Don are we? :tongue:

Lived there for many years. Outside the smokey season, it is no worse than any big city in Thailand. CRai has the same smoke problem at the same time, just quieter. Have a look at Loei

" Have a look at Loei"

Does Loei have the smoke problem as well?

Edited by JimmyJ

The smog problem is not just particularly in CM and CR or generally Thailand. It's the entire South East Asian countries. Personally i feel it's worse south when the Indonesian farmers burn fields bigger than some towns. Cities like SG and KL got hit so bad that it becomes a health hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Loei does get smoke, but the levels are nothing like the upper north. I live one province away from it and was once driving through Loei during the burning season, curious what it would be like. The haze was noticeable. I asked a local about it and they said it was the mist in the air this time of year. I can clearly know the difference between mist and smog unlike this person so it's important to get your information from a reliable source. The other thing about Loei is the city is night and day compared to Chiang Mai. Loei will seem barren compared to what you can find and do in Chiang Mai. Loei is known as the province with the coolest weather. Just note you need to be at high altitudes within Loei to get this cool weather.

Online you can look at current air quality index (AQI) levels all over Thailand and look through historic data for just about anywhere. Just remember that to be within international standards an AQI below 50 is good, above can be harmful to health. Don't let the Thai government sites fool you into believing 100 is quite ok.

I concur with others Kanchanaburi seems a decent choice to throw in the mix.

ID: 59   Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, canopy said:

Online you can look at current air quality index (AQI) levels all over Thailand and look through historic data for just about anywhere. Just remember that to be within international standards an AQI below 50 is good, above can be harmful to health. Don't let the Thai government sites fool you into believing 100 is quite ok.

Nowhere in South East Asia is below 50 the whole year, or even any significant part of the year. 

Do you know how many months in Chiang Mai are below 50?   One. 

And as an aside, do you know how many months in Phuket are below 50?  Also one.  (In a good year, last year Phuket didn't have a month below 50.  Chiang Mai had one. (June))

People need to have realistic expectations, otherwise Asia may just not be a good fit for them.

I suggest a Fjord, with your nose in the Atlantic breeze. Or coastal Australia.  Everywhere else, forget it.

Capture.JPG

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
2 people like this

I liked Yachats, Oregon when i lived nearby. I mean the closet road was 5000 km away, to the west, so the air was pretty good.  Lots of cloud and foggy/rain during the cold winter so  some wood smoke but that too was blown away towards the east.