Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
JimmyJ

Similar city as alternative to Chang Mai to avoid air problems?

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"... it's a relatively short drive up from HCMC."

I was planning to ask about this in a new thread when I get to LOS, but since you've mentioned this - is that the best way to get there from LOS - fly to HCMC and rent a car?

The thing that I think I'd find most difficult outside of LOS is that I'm a vegetarian and mostly vegan - I've learned a bit of Thai, but none of any other Asian language.

I reckon it's one way to get there..., a VIP bus HCMC might be a better, more relaxing and safer way...., unless of course you know where your going and like a challenge......, the "pass" up into the highlands can be tricky. Might be easier to hire a car up there.
Also might be better quality info than I can give you, in the Regional section - at the bottom of these forums.

Edited by Sandy Freckle
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Sambotte said:

To answer to the topic : where similar to Chiang Mai, well, Chiang Rai looks very good... Smaller but develloped, more relax, less traffic, and less pollution ! Because it's not in a small valley like CM, and less traffic, less diesel...

And more air ! Appreciated with the smooky season not yet finished, although it has been raining, dangerous level of pm2.5 re-raise again and again...

Please, stop promoting Chiang Rai. It's about the only reasonably sized town in Thailand that has not been ruined by the drugs, sex and rock 'n roll party goers.  555

Lets keep it, quiet, civilised and an attractive place to live.

• Like 1

Like Chiang Rai does not have an air pollution equal or worse than CM?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

If any of the Dalat posters are from the USA, could you share whether or not you caught any anti-american sentiment from the local people because of past history?  I'm going to spend some time there, or in Danang, later this year and am looking at possibly staying long term.  My shelf life in CM is now just over 6 months, however, I keep coming back after trying somewhere else.  Just returned after making an easy decision that CM > Goa.

I'm an American and I have never gotten any problem about that war, which was long, long ago.  Virtually everyone I encounter in VN wasn't even born then.  I believe all of the "issues" exist in the heads of Americans only.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Flustered said:

Please, stop promoting Chiang Rai. It's about the only reasonably sized town in Thailand that has not been ruined by the drugs, sex and rock 'n roll party goers.  555

Lets keep it, quiet, civilised and an attractive place to live.

I like Chiang Rai, visited there many times.  But each time I visit, it gets more and more congested.  And the air?  Well, sometimes it's worse than Chiang Mai.  But still a nice little town.  Enjoy it while you can...

10 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"... it's a relatively short drive up from HCMC."

I was planning to ask about this in a new thread when I get to LOS, but since you've mentioned this - is that the best way to get there from LOS - fly to HCMC and rent a car?

The thing that I think I'd find most difficult outside of LOS is that I'm a vegetarian and mostly vegan - I've learned a bit of Thai, but none of any other Asian language.

I take Vietjet from HCMC to Dalat.  Discount airline, cheap.

I visited a friend who retired in Da Nang a few times before he died. Never saw any anti-American sentiment. If anything people were pro-American. He was able to own a house there and in my limited experience the Vietnamese spoke better English than Thais.