Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

An island besieged by corruption and mafia: Army reclaims Koh Samet as true national park

21 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

One island down, 999 to go....

Not in our lifetime. Once the flavor of the day has been massaged/photoed/touted similar problems just drop of the importance scale. 

• Like 1

when reading the headline I though they were taking about Phuket...

Slaves cheering for other slaves being punished for an age long in place system that suddenly has a new boss ...

3 hours ago, johng said:

My thoughts go towards the  many hundreds of Thais who have suddenly been deprived of their lively hoods and now wont be able to provide for their families.

Even if they were providing through illegal activities such as protecting racketeering?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

One island down, 999 to go....

It is good news that this is happening, but there were viable businesses there.  Would it not be prudent to look at relocating these people to another place ?   We shall see if this is not just a land grab and these businesses are reappraised with different owners.

Very good job, I hope the work continues and extends to other places. Somehow I doubt it, but I live in hope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johng said:

My thoughts go towards the  many hundreds of Thais who have suddenly been deprived of their lively hoods and now wont be able to provide for their families.

I think 'lively hoods' are worn by Hoodies. They are the type that move about a lot! However, livelihoods refer to people's jobs and so on. However, and that aside, I cannot agree with you. Where there is corruption there is less money in the peoples' pockets. Nothing here to stop people earning an honest living without being in fear of the gangsters who collect their hard-earned cash without doing any productive work themselves. It is time that this clean up continued all over the country. For example Koh Tao (and we all know what happens there) and Baan Tawaii in Chiang Mai where the sellers of wood (500 shops???) are also paying 500 a week to be allowed to stay in business. The beneficiaries may well be .......Problem is, when the army goes around and asks them who they pay and how much they refuse to answer. Such is the nature of fear. Sorry about my lively joke earlier.

• Like 1

Let me get this straight, put old mafia into inactive posts, and replace with NEW mafia in disguise for a bunch of more tourist dollars?