Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

An island besieged by corruption and mafia: Army reclaims Koh Samet as true national park

Yet murder island (koh tao) remains  untouched???? Many big brown envelopes being passed to the army probably. 

Diogenes is on location at the island even as we speak - lantern in hand - and any of us who care at all about Thailand  have hope he will find what he is searching for.

Seems like a long shot though . . . . . 

thinking too small. what about the entire country? Get rid of it all and have just the one family please. its simpler. oh, maybe thats the plan........

14 hours ago, johng said:

My thoughts go towards the  many hundreds of Thais who have suddenly been deprived of their lively hoods and now wont be able to provide for their families.

Yes the poor scammers,  thugs, mafia and other assorted lowlifes my heart bleeds.  

• Like 1

I spent most of a day there in 1991 and thoroughly enjoyed the idyllic setting. Haven't been back since but have read a number of articles about the changes that taken place since then. Wholeheartedly support the action taken.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nikmar said:

happy to read this. I hope it extends to other islands as well.

Why only islands? There's all the mainland too.

Scams and mafia-type practices are endemic everywhere here.

Absolutely brilliant! The army making sweeping reforms across Thailand

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Very good job, I hope the work continues and extends to other places. Somehow I doubt it, but I live in hope.

It has already, cleaned up the foot path mafia on sukhumvit Bangkok and the boat Mafia Bali hi pattaya

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

It has already, cleaned up the foot path mafia on sukhumvit Bangkok and the boat Mafia Bali hi pattaya

don't forget  the "civil war"  "it" prevented  ( the one in Bangkok  not the 3 southern provinces )

the lottery vendors,beach chair/umbrella vendors,beach massage operations,food sellers peddling their wares,motorbike rental businesses,speedboat,jetski,banana boat businesses and people posting a like on facebook  98.3% of them are very happy with "it"

Funny, I'm sitting here on Ao Cho reading this and 30 min ago a big group of soldiers and police came strolling on through talking to the resort staff.

23 hours ago, johng said:

My thoughts go towards the  many hundreds of Thais who have suddenly been deprived of their lively hoods and now wont be able to provide for their families.

Please don't you're gonna make me cry...

they'll do just fine, and set-up illegally somewhere else in a few days!!!

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Why only islands? There's all the mainland too.

Scams and mafia-type practices are endemic everywhere here.

Similar military tactics seen in Pattaya, Phuket (pseudo-mainland) and Phetchaboon.

It is about valuable land (seafront land tends to be very valuable) and control of the huge tourist industry income stream.

On 11/18/2016 at 11:47 AM, johng said:

Do your thoughts also go to thieves, robbers, pickpockets, corrupt officials, etc. who get arrested and convicted and are "deprived of their lively hoods (sic)?

They're all breaking the law.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1