Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
farrol

Scenic motorcycle route from Chiang Rai to Nan

Arguz    2
On 2016-11-19 at 3:57 PM, Rotweiler said:

I would recommend Highway 1 to Phayao, then East on 1021 to Dok Khamtai; then Southeast on Highway 1251 (To Thung Nong; 1091 to Nan.

Very scenic yet reasonable route in terms of curves and state of the highways.  I would avoid 1148 - the section around Yot is terrible.

Well, we have different experiences, but but to avoid 1148 is a big mistake if you want a scenic route. 1148 is known as one of the most beautiful roads to drive. I have been there recently and the road is in perfect condition and hardly any traffic.

If you want information about riding motorcycle in Thailand, check those links:

http://www.gt-rider.com/

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/forums/13-Thailand-Ride-Reports

1148 to Nan from Chiang Rai, see map.

Acommodation in Nan: I have stayed at Huean Kuang Hotel, but at those links above you can find more suggestions.

Be safe on the roads!

trip.jpg

• Like 2

toofarnorth    537

My wife comes from Nan and only yesterday she reminded that as the boat racing was cancelled this year so was the trip there. Last year in Dec. we did the ride along the 1148 and the return journey along the same road was the best bike ride I have ever had and I am 69 and have been riding bikes since I was knee high to an Ariel 350 . If you want to accelerate , brake , accelerate . brake for a 3 or 4 hours fine , if you want to feel the warm sun and look at the views with no clock to watch a Wave is fine. We did it on the Forza which has a bit more giddy up on the hills , going again next month. If I were you I would go on the lower road , don't look so bad does it ?

• Like 2

DualSportBiker    306

Do you really think that this opinion will cut the mustard on a biker forum? 

You are welcome to be grumpy, boring, caged up, and out of touch with the places you travel. Maybe you can't stomach the excitement. Maybe you used to ride and you had an event that changed your life... Guess how much we care about your opinion? You are welcome to share you opinions wherever you want, just don't expect to be welcome or treated with any respect for relieving yourself on our tree.

On 11/21/2016 at 6:35 PM, lungnorm said:

Hire a car and have a somewhat better chance of survival.

• Like 1

lungnorm    524
11 hours ago, DualSportBiker said:

Do you really think that this opinion will cut the mustard on a biker forum? 

You are welcome to be grumpy, boring, caged up, and out of touch with the places you travel. Maybe you can't stomach the excitement. Maybe you used to ride and you had an event that changed your life... Guess how much we care about your opinion? You are welcome to share you opinions wherever you want, just don't expect to be welcome or treated with any respect for relieving yourself on our tree.

For your information, I rode a motorbike for 2 yrs when I first started driving at 15yrs of age.I also did the ton on a Triumph 650 when only 13yrs of age with the owner as a pillion. I did skydiving for a number of years in my teens and 20's, I flew light aircraft and gliders as a teenager. I was in the Royal Navy for a number of years so I have had my share of 'Exitement'. Traffic has increased so much in this day and age only a brain dead  moron or someone wanting to end their life would ride a motorbike in these traffic congested days especially in Thailand where the road toll is the 2nd highest in the world. I state my case!!!! 

• Like 1

Rotweiler    276

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow.  My hero!  Speaking of morons.......

9 hours ago, lungnorm said:

For your information, I rode a motorbike for 2 yrs when I first started driving at 15yrs of age.I also did the ton on a Triumph 650 when only 13yrs of age with the owner as a pillion. I did skydiving for a number of years in my teens and 20's, I flew light aircraft and gliders as a teenager. I was in the Royal Navy for a number of years so I have had my share of 'Exitement'. Traffic has increased so much in this day and age only a brain dead  moron or someone wanting to end their life would ride a motorbike in these traffic congested days especially in Thailand where the road toll is the 2nd highest in the world. I state my case!!!! 

Man, who cares about

9 hours ago, lungnorm said:

DualSportBiker    306

That is not a case - it is a biased opinion. "Brain-dead or suicidal" It's ok to have an opinion, it would be better is you kept the idiotic ones to yourself and base the others on anything but wild assumptions. You end up sounding exceptionally boring and boorish. Absolutes are the opinions of the mentally deficient...

On 11/23/2016 at 7:34 AM, lungnorm said:

RED DOG    17

My THAI wife and I will be back in Thailand around May next year and would like to do the trip from Chiang Rai to Nan but in a car as I am not an experienced bike rider. What I would like to ask is, have any of you done the trip to Chiang Khan from Nan on road 2195 ? From there we would make our way along the river to Nakhon Phanom and to my wife's home in Pak Yam Thanks for any information. Also I would like to add I am a experienced driver having driven many country roads in outback Australia

ripstanley    2,498

Driving in Thailand is nothing like driving on country roads in outback Australia. I have done both.

Do you have a Thai license? If not then get an International Driving Permit in Australia.

Have a good trip.