Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Scott

SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?  

262 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

• Yes, all foreigners should show proof of insurance or be required to purchase it before entering the Kingdom.
    • No, foreigners should not have to show or purchase insurance.

SURVEY:   Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

One of the points raised in the proposed changes in immigration rules is that foreigners may be required to have medical insurance.   In your opinion, do you think Thailand should require foreigners to have medical insurance or to purchase medical insurance before being allowed to enter Thailand?

I believe the survey should offer more options. For example, I think that those coming for Visa-exempt stays of 30 days, should not necessarily require such health insurance. Whereas all who want to stay longer, SETV or METV or any sort of non-immigrant Visas, should show proof of a health insurance. But then again: How do they want to check those insurances? There is no standard policy and it could be in a language that is not understood (and no, I don't mean English in this case).

Grandfathering must taken into account as well, or do they really want to kick out that 78 year old who has lived in the country for 20+ years without any wrongdoing only because he does not have health insurance (but enough money to care for his life and probably his Thai family members). Of course they COULD do that but it would be inhuman.

Back in 2003, I had invited a national of Malaysia to my home country for a few weeks. There was no need to show proof of a health insurance, but I obtained one for that person anyway.

Edited by siam2007

My health insurance is always in my own two hands as long as I am a viable entity. If push comes to shove and the hospital starts rubbing their hands in glee as they say in the hospitality trade "Its check out time"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cats4ever said:

Yes they should - bludging off another country is not good. How you prove you have the insurance could be tricky. I have a print out of my insurance with me when I travel; would not be hard to forge.

You must get insurance in Thailand my friend just come out of Bangkok pattaya and was a complete rip off just disgusting the charges I have another friend went in sattahip hospital and was much better and miles cheaper get insurance a must 

• Like 1

Try getting insured with pre existing its impossible travel insurance max 90 days no choice exit leg it quick if you can unfortunately that's my insurance . 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Of course not -- any such demand would open the floodgates on scams of every hue.  If the Thai Government supplied some form of "foreigner insurance" that would be a reasonable option, but given the terms and conditions applying to health and travel insurance being so diverse, it would be impossible for Immigration to compare "like-with-like" amongst the companies.

If you work in Thailand you can get all your treatment free for 400bht a month sceme

4 minutes ago, hutchings1963 said:

If you work in Thailand you can get all your treatment free for 400bht a month sceme

That's a very big "If"   

The question has been spurred by the recently announced retirement option, not for people working in Thailand....